Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Multy Aldrich T and a story from back in the days

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chrisman, May 1, 2006.

1. chrisman

chrisman

[​IMG]

A few weeks ago there was a post here about Multy Aldrich and his Model T proto rod: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101436

As we finally got settled in our new apartment I dug out the letters I got from Multy. I hadn't read them for over 20 years, and they were more vivid than I remembered them, so I would like to share a portion of the first letter he sent me:
    There were just 36 of us had cars entered in the first Bonn. in 1949 - my friend and I had the only 2 cars entered in the modified roadster class, so I drove my 1922 Ford model "T" through once, then helped my friend work on his car all week till he finally beat me - we had the most fun! He still comes to visit me at the shop.

Wendover in the early days used to have just one Deputy Sheriff and it was not unusual to have a car do a "speed run" down the main street at 3:am with no exhaust manifold or exhaust pipes - Man would the house lights come on after a few runs like that!

From 1950 on for 22 years I was privileged to safety check the race cars, there were 2 or 3 more men to help me. I used 3 double handfulls of cotter pins that year - inspection that first year, 1949, consisted of one question "Did you turn in an entry blank?" That was all! I sure helped to change that!

From 1951 through 1958, except for 2 years when my son and daughter came up to work as a course steward or in the timing stand, I always took along some tools and clothes, some food and a sleeping bag on top of the turtle deck!

I drove up and back in my model "T" roadster, 4 cyl. 1922. Built in 1932 - the frame and rear spring are dated Oct. 1913 - body is 1922 - turtle deck about a '23 or '24. Steering gear is from an Essex, ignition switch is Buick, instrument panel hammered out from an early Cadillac aluminum body parts, hood is from a '27 or so Oldsmobile, sidedrive is Chevrolet "4", distributor cam is Ford V8 with every other cam lobe ground off, a Durant 4 distributor drive gear - distributor is from a Nash 8 cylinder car with dual plugs - I use a Rajo overhead valve conversion head drilled out for 4 extra plugs on the left side - to make it a dual ignition system!
    Oh yes, oil pump is from an early Cadillac and the special oil system holds 10 qts. of oil!

I hope you'll enjoy this story as much as I did.

2. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Very Very cool story, got any more??

B:cool:B

3. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Oh man, oh man, oh man. Thanks so much for sharing that!

I love that freakin' car!

4. Great story & never knew he raced.All I remember about Multy was him running the registration trailer? or hospitality trailer? at several SCTA meets I went to with my dad.Very nice people.I think Multys wifes name was Vera,& my dad thought the world of both of them.
    Troy

5. tjm73

tjm73

10 quarts of oil!?!?!?!?!? What a great bit of story to share.

6. Awesome story! I'd too love to hear more if you have some and the time:) Gotta go save this thread, I love that car!:D

7. I know this was on the FAS a couple of weeks ago but it was
    christman who posted the business card that inspired me to do the painting in the first place...I only paint cars I like and I love this T.
    Paul

Attached Files:

8. chrisman

chrisman

I'll go through the letters once more to see what I can find. He mostly wrote about the current condition of the lake beds, SCTA banquets and his hospitality work with Vera.

Yeah, they were in a league of their own. I can still miss them.

Thanks for all the comments, folks.

9. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Paul, I'm glad you reposted that. I never saw it in the FAS (I'm usually too busy on Fridays and it has dropped off the page by Monday). That's a great painting.

-Dave

10. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

WOW, that sure was a great story.
    I'd love to read more if you have the time to post it.

Dave

11. chrisman

chrisman

My only regret is that I didn't ask him more questions on how it was back in those pioneering days of land speed racing, he must have had an ocean of stories to tell. It was always cool to read those stories when I got them, but back then I think I was a bit too young to appreciate it like I do today.

I'll see what I can find.

12. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

We like stories like this! :)