Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Curbspeed Coupe. "Holy Hell" 10/4/2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by curbspeed, Dec 19, 2010.

1. That's the plan.

loudbang likes this.
  2. keep chugging along !

curbspeed likes this.
  3. Earlier in this thread that I planned to build some 18 inch 40 Ford style rims for the car. It took me quite a long time to decide and find the help I needed to make it happen. I found mint or close to mint set of four 1940 Ford rims and the LARS back in June. I then purchased some 18 X 5.5 inch hoops from a tractor supply place in the Midwest somewhere and proceed to go at it. My friend here in Tucson(Kevin Potter) was gracious enough to let me use his machine shop along with his machinist helper Tim. We laid out a game plan and went at it. Here are a few pics. I would like to do a tech thread on it and I am waiting for another tech week. They turned out good and seem really close to being true for being homemade for the most part. I mounted Excelsior radials on them after painting them white. The size of this tire will fill up the wheel well nicely. IMG_0868.JPG IMG_0869.JPG IMG_0863.JPG IMG_0803.JPG IMG_0796.JPG IMG_0793.JPG

brEad, oldtymehiboy, Tim and 5 others like this.
  4. I laid out my old school flame pattern and gave it a whirl. It is hard to paint flames on louvers. I can't imagine laying this out while it is mounted on the car. What a pain in the ass to keep the red off the white on the back side. I did a lot of clean up after the fact. This also is getting a red translucent plexi sheet inserted on the back side to seal out water. It will have a drain so don't worry about that. Luckily here in Arizona we have a lot of rain free days all year. I had to shoot this color on before the plexi in mounted. Maybe it seems weird to most but I have a plan. Notice the flames are not symmetrical. I did that on purpose. It will have variance from side to side slightly. I need to pinstripe them still. Not sure what color I will use to clean up the edges. My first time doing this so go easy on me. I'm happy. IMG_0889.JPG

5. pretty nice !

6. Thanks Roberto. It will look awesome when the whole car is painted I think. I am going to work on doors next then on to the main body. I have been doing all these smaller pieces getting my body working skills tuned up. Never did this level of work before but I'm determined to finish this.

Stogy likes this.
  7. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those wheels are doubly bitchn. Lots of work to make a wheel look factory, but well worth it.

-Abone.

curbspeed likes this.
  8. Thanks Abone. Lots of work for sure. Time, money and the will. I hate the ones they sell (if you can get them) with dual bolt patterns. I realize I'm not the first guy to do this but it was done by Bonneville guys back in the early days. So we do have that.

9. verde742

verde742

man I love those wheels / and tire combo,, I share your visions,

thought the world of yer dad, from about 2 hours South in Wash. State.

10. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Oh yeah, pretty damn cool alright. I bet your run out is better than the 4 40 style vintiques i just purchased.
    As meatloaf said, 1 outa 4 aint bad. The head is spinning trying to image the whole car paint finished, but it's all about being that little bit different.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@curbspeed I just happened upon your thread and poked my nose through most of it. Stand up job your doing...love that vintage paint style...huge thumbs up...;)...The Hamb what an incredible place to be...

loudbang and 509garyd like this.
  12. Kevin is good egg and has my old coupe. Kevin and I have known each other since high school and his machine shop started out in a laundry room with a table top lathe.

oldtymehiboy, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  13. mgtstumpy, 509garyd, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  14. Forgot to post pictures of the backside of the roof insert. I used red lexan sealed into the bottom and added some drains to go into the rear window catch pan. Should look pretty cool when the sun shines through it.
    IMG_0904.JPG IMG_0903.JPG IMG_0900.JPG

mgtstumpy, brEad, chop job and 7 others like this.
  15. Well, f#ck me ..... that's cool as sh#t. Your noggin' has kung fu skills. I wouldn't have thunk' of that .... like at all. Nice !!

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That’s really coming along! I haven’t checked in on this thread in years but it looks like you’re making nice progress.

I painted my 33 similar colors a few years ago. I think I my outline them in black? But maybe none at all. IMG_1782.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Love these kinda flames. S IMG_3820.JPG ome don't get it but that's ok. Yes, Making some progress. I need to go back out to the shop and sand. Kinda tired and lazy right now. Maybe after a nap. Ha!

18. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I love what you are doing!

loudbang and curbspeed like this.
  19. My flames will have black pinstripe defining them. I bought the paint but I need to practice a whole lot more before I attempt it. I may have it done, but I like to try and do as much as I can. Why do you think it has taken me 7 years since I started this thread? I really slow but now that my rpu is gone I want to finish this thing.

brEad, Stogy, Outback and 2 others like this.
  20. keep on, keep'in on !

curbspeed and loudbang like this.
  21. Only way to get there this summer.

loudbang likes this.
  22. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Insert looks great. How'd the Pukekohe sticker come about. Our neighbour club.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  23. I am very good friends with a lot of Kiwi's here. Squeak Bell gave it to me for my car along time ago. If you know him and see him say hi. I know he's probably there right now. I sent him some pictures of it.

24. chryslerfan55, loudbang and Outback like this.
  25. I cut them off. I'm just using the cord.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Been going at it mildly hard for the last week. Making progress. It feels good to start on the body finally. Doors are pretty much done and roughed out the firewall and cowl area. Still need to fine tune it some but it's getting there. IMG_0938.JPG IMG_0939.JPG

27. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I really like the firewall cut out!

curbspeed and loudbang like this.
  28. Elvis100

Elvis100

I like that firewall cut also

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. It was a lot of work to get it like that. The shape mimics the valve covers and it will be easy to get them off or even a head if need be. Dizzy fits in that Vee shape quite nicely too. Coil and voltage regulator will be mounted in there too.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
    chryslerfan55, loudbang and curbspeed like this.