Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. That is a take on a 20's DODGE BROS turtle deck so it fits fine here by me.

2. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Picking the color or colors for your car are personal likes and tastes. I happen to be one who likes the color red and not for the reason Gary stated, I just like the color. The 2 T-buckets that stick in my mind from watching Chip's wonderful thread, are Gary's and Mac's blue one. They both look so damn good to me that I would have a tough time choosing my favorite between them. If Chip ever gets his painted, it may make my choosing a favorite harder yet.

3. AndersF

AndersF

I really like the color on your car but for some reason those shades of red looks best on roadsters
    and not that much on coupes in my opinion. My first choise of color was maroon red but its
    not quiet right for the era. And black? well its not a stock restoration.:D:D:D
    Have been looking on cars for a half year now and not find something thats looks right.
    I still got some time before i need to pick a color. I hope to find some colors in the book
    i like and hopefully find matching colored cars at meetings this summer to look at.

4. Zandoz

Zandoz

A good looking color is a good looking color, no matter the origin...and your's is definitely a good red. My favorite red is from a UN car...designed in Germany, built in Korea with a Brazilian engine and Australian brakes, and sold in this country as a Pontiac...the red with a very slight orange tint from the '89 LeMans GSE.

brad2v likes this.
  5. AndersF

AndersF

I think the importance of colorchoise is clearly when looking at Lightning bug/Kookie car.
    If Norm had paint it black after the rebuilt it would just be a updated version instead of the
    eyepopping car on the cover of the most magasines.
    No doubt it still would be a nice car in allmost any color.

6. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You know guys I was mainly just talking in that last post. I wasn't advocating anyone paint their car any color. The main point I wanted to make is to not pick your color just off of a small paint chip.
    Good point Anders about the Lightnin Bug turning into the Kookie Kar. Just the opposite of the Ivo car turning into it's second generation Bill Rolland car width the same good outcome. Going from Red to black.
    Gary

7. jalopy45

jalopy45

Doing some communication with Steve Stanford over the Offy powered T roadster and it is the direction I'm going to take , but going to substitute a newer engine for the Offy because of financial concerns and where could I find an affordable Offy? Started searching for a mid teens to mid 20's Dodge roadster to use the sheetmetal from the doors back including the turtle deck. Will attempt to keep it as HAMB friendly as possible. [​IMG]

8. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Cool, looking forward to watching it come together. You are going to do a build thread, aren't you?

9. verde742

verde742

IMO, and I have a 24 Dodge, the turtle deck on my Dodge doesn't look like the one in Steve's picture..
    It reminds me of this trailer, right now I can't remember the name of the trailer, but I will.. its fiberglass, and if its whack one end or the other. I think it would resemble Steve 's concept..

[​IMG]

10. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

That`s a Mullins , Bob. You must have had a Senior Moment......either that or the Aridzona sun has baked your noggin. Best come back up to the Northwest....:D:D:p:eek::D

verde742 likes this.
  11. Zandoz

Zandoz

I like it! Any ideas on candidates for the Offy standin?

12. Well, I won't be making it to LARS this year - was hoping to be there as of yesterday but lost my job in the middle of May and need to focus on straightening that out. Anyone know of any senior-level Health, Safety, Environmental jobs out there?

Thanks,
    Steve

13. t-rod

t-rod

Olds Quad 4 is a good choice, modern head gaskets solve their common problem.

daddio211 likes this.
  14. jalopy45

jalopy45

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  15. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

What is the title of your build thread going to be? Economy T build?
    Edit: guess I should do a better job of reading before posting, huh? o_O

16. jalopy45

jalopy45

17. Zandoz

Zandoz

I don't recall, was the Quad4 used in a RWD configuration?

18. t-rod

t-rod

Yes, and at least one company is/was making a bellhousing to mate a rwd stickshift trans to it.

19. jalopy45

jalopy45

http://quad4rods.com/ in Denver, John is a real down to earth nice guy.

20. t-rod

t-rod

I read that too fast, thought you wrote FWD. They were only used in FWD but parts exist to make them rwd.

21. daddio211

daddio211

Yep! And the guys at www.quad4rods.com have everything to make that little Olds scream.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  22. daddio211

daddio211

Well crap, this thread moves so fast I didn't see all the replies before commenting!

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  23. verde742

verde742

Kiwi,
    No kiddin' about senior moments !!!! so darn much to remember, we'er in the NW, at our summer home till it cools down in heatville. Wanna Funny? doctor ask me about a medication I was takin' I said, Heck I don't know, I will call my wife and have my people talk to yer people, after 28 sessions of chemo, Doctor said, Judy I think Bob has some dementia, Judy said NO he does not,
    he doesn't care what meds I give him: Ask him all the difference between a 39 Ford Deluxe and a 40 Ford standard. It was Big joke all over the Mayo Chemo ward..
    Almost like when my friend Dale ask her about a 58 Chevy El Camino. She said : "GM never made one" Dale said: By Gosh she is the ONE !!!!!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  24. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Senior moments????
    Oh, you're going to love this one:

LMAO every time I listen - never gets old... :D .
    PS: Sorry about the ads, recent addition. If there's a problem, I'll delete it.
    Marcus...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    verde742 and daddio211 like this.
  25. brad2v

brad2v

I like the sounds your plan so far. Subscribed to your thread.

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Just learned of the passing of one of my hot rodding heroes Tex Smith.
    Sad to see him go, he had a lot of influence on me and the hobby.
    RIP Tex.
    There was and has been a lot of talk on how a model A grille shell didn't look right on a T, I thought that if it was good enough for Tex, then it was good enough for me :)
    P9090017.jpg 75thDeuce_287.jpg

daddio211 and k1w1rodder like this.
  27. brad2v

brad2v

That is very sad news Larry. Tex and Pat Ganahl arguably taught me to read. Still have my "How to Build Real Hot Rods" with his autograph that bought from him at the Vintique nats in Spokane in the mid 80's. RIP Tex

28. Well Damn, that just sucks!

29. Zandoz

Zandoz

Sad to hear of the passing of another of our endeavours greats.

And I've always liked A shells on Ts...but then I do tend to go with what others say not. I would like to see more of that little car.

daddio211 likes this.
  30. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Tex is passed...man, thats a real bummer for Hot Rodders worldwide.
    Brad2v says Tex taught him to read, and while thats not the case with me...he damn sure was one of the ones who made me WANT to read and I learned to truly enjoy it as a result of his many articles.
    Rest in peace Tex Smith.
    Definately one of the good ones gone right there...