Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods $2.00 a Pound roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jalopy45, Jun 11, 2015.

1. jalopy45

jalopy45

A Steve Stanford of a T roadster he did for a magazine article got me inspired enough to get a hold of him for more info. I won't follow it verbatim as I have a lot of parts and pieces and plan on building what I don't have to keep the price down. So no 270 inch Offy and no to the wire wheels.[​IMG]

2. jalopy45

jalopy45

Here's where I started today with the frame rails and the first $96.00 [​IMG] and here's the body that after trading I only have $60 in it and searching for a late teen or early 20's Dodge turtle deck now. [​IMG]

kiwijeff, AHotRod and Model T1 like this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool project - so, where is the weighing scale with dollar signs on it?

4. Model T1

Model T1

Good start. I have a feeling the scale will tip in a short time. Enjoy the build and keep it cheap.

5. jalopy45

jalopy45

Some more pieces to the project, it will roll on 50 Merc wheels with the rears using '56 Buick rims reversed, [​IMG]

AHotRod likes this.
  6. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Cool idea. But no fair using parts you already have! You paid something for them, whenever you got them. And you should count the value of the traded parts to, as you paid for them at one time, too. Freebies also need a value!

Ok... sorry for the micro rant, but it bugs me when folks say they built a car for, say $1000 bucks, when all the rest of the parts were gifts or found / traded and no value is put on them at all. At least use swap meet prices.

But I love the idea. There are plenty cool, Offy-esque I-4s out there that will fill the bill, too and probably make more power. Gary

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    chessterd5 likes this.
  8. Subscribed!

Putting values on traded/bartered items just reminds me of the hilarious 1959 movie "The Mating Game" with Paul Douglas, Debbie Reynolds, and Tony Randall. Cain't be done!

jalopy45 likes this.
  9. AHotRod

AHotRod

Stay the course!
    Form follows function.
    Keep it simple and safe.
    Low-Buck Rules !!!

cornfieldrodder likes this.
  10. jalopy45

jalopy45

Most of the parts I have are from previous projects going back as far back as the 70's that I was just too cheap to throw away or sell because I might need them someday. Items like a 32 Grille shell, Ford toploader 4 speed, a drilled '32 heavy front axle from a LSR car, stuff found in fields over the years, if I just add those up what I have in them I'm still under $200.00.

11. jalopy45

jalopy45

This is the Dodge body I'm looking for from the doors back , if anyone has any leads., [​IMG]

12. t-rod

t-rod

Subscribed! Best of luck with your goal.

13. Zandoz

Zandoz

Subscribed! But being an unrepentant wire wheel nut, I'm a bit bummed at the wires being nixed so soon...LOL.

I do appreciate your quest for an uncommon turtle deck. I'd love to find an affordable shorty TD for my build.

Good luck with your build!

14. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Gary
    Love the look of the cowl on the early teen T's. Looking forward to the build.

Gary

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool project, I hunted for a Toyota 2TC banger with a rear wheel drive trans for a long time figuring I would descab it and run it in a little roadster as the little Hemi banger valve cover has a real old engine vibe to it.

My boat tail that I am building might hit the 2.00 a lb area if I don't count the cost of gas for going after free and inexpensive parts. So far I am in it about 600 for parts and 250 for gas.

16. Clevername

Clevername

17. Heck yeah, im in.:cool::cool::D JW

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good luck with the build, always liked the look of those DB Roadsters. Bob

19. brad2v

brad2v

Subscribed. I think there was a guy advertising some 20's D.B. stuff in the classifieds a while back, I think he was in Montana?

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Sound pretty interesting, no way mine is turning out anything near $2.00 a pound, more like $50.00 a pound :eek: :D
    Mind you that's just a guess, I'm afraid to figure it out. :)

leadfootloon and volvobrynk like this.
  21. During the settlers rush west just after the Civil War, a Conestoga wagon cost $2.00 a pound.
    One ton-$4000, big money at the time!
    Hope yours has a little better performance.

22. czuch az

czuch az

Excellent objective.
    When I first started in this madness in 196* I told a guy, "But I have alot of hours in this car".
    He still bought the car, after he gave me some valuable schoolin and kind words.
    "Yo time aint worth much in this hobby, son, but try to have a good time doin it".
    Wiser words,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    BTW, most of the settlers walked west. Could you imagine. If you ever get the chance to see the wagon ruts carved by the Westward migration, they're still all over the prarie states, its intense.

23. I've joined the list of followers to Gary and look forward to all updates as you go.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  24. AndersF

AndersF

This gonna be fun to follow.

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Wagon ruts in Guernsey, Wyoming, that was a lot of traffic to get to Oregon. Sorry for the sidetrack to your build Jalopy 45. Bob

[​IMG]

26. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I did this on a roadster peek=up a few years ago and caught a lot of flack for using free items. Hell most of my projects are built on free stuff. Good luck I'll keep the light on for ya!!

27. jalopy45

jalopy45

Instead of building a spring perch for the rear I'm going to use a Model A rear crossmember trimmed down to fit between the frame rails. Remember seeing this done years ago but it lost favor during the Fad T era. [​IMG]

volvobrynk and AndersF like this.
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

A rear crossmember looks great, helps keep things in the HAMB era of T buckets. Bob

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  29. jalopy45

jalopy45

This what the crossmember looked like before I trimmed it to 20" , [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    volvobrynk, kiwijeff and AndersF like this.
  30. indyjps

indyjps

I'm all for free or hoarded parts, but yeah, throw a value on it if you're keeping count. Helps less experienced builders get an idea.

I've got an engine and trans on the shelf that a couple hundred positive after I parted put the car. That's legit. $1000 in the project then use the engine i'm $400 plus on, the total is now $600.

volvobrynk likes this.