Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Spirit of South Dakota LSR lakester/rear enigine roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tman, Dec 31, 2010.

1. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Trent, that frame is looking great!

2. Looking good Trent! Nice to finally meet you after all these years!

Tman likes this.
  3. The pleasure was mine! It was a great joy to meet you. The weekend was so much fun I can not describe it!

4. Hey Trent any ETA yet??

5. 2014 is the goal. Tom is in the process of moving out here so I figure he needs to get settled before he can screw the engine together.

6. That frame is looking good. Can you reposition the axle for different size tires?

Skip

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. Well looks like there may be a trip to Bonney in 14......

8. Finally caught up with the progress, looking mighty fine.

9. Skip, working on that now. I had planned on the 22" M&Hs but math got the best of me. The 24s will work best. The original plan was to have 2 ride height settings but I was making it too complicated.

You BETTER be there in 13!

Thanks Jimmy, we (Tom and I) hope to bring joy to our Stovebolt pals with this!

10. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I'm living out a Stovebolt fantasy through this build. I can't wait to see it run!

11. Thanks to you and ALL the other Stovebolt fanatics out there for your support!

Tom stopped by today, I passed off a copy of Corky Bells turbo book to him. He had good news that not only is he moving out here, he is doing in in the next few weeks and we may be neighbors! So, being neighborly I will help them get settled as soon as they can so we can play with cars!:D

12. Got the axles pulled thanks to this thread!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363221

Redneck stuff here, clearances were WAY to tight! Lots of heat, 15+ minutes of heat per tube, Things still came out HARD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I just need to learn how to measure my new tubes to match the axles and make it all fit!!!!!!!

13. This was old circle track abused crap. the tubes looked like well casing and took a TON of heat and pressure to pull the tubes, thanks to that OP on the other thread that showed his methods!!!!!!!!!!!

14. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

That is a genius way to pull that out!

15. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Tman Loving this build.As I am a newby to a lot of the "Old Iron"and for damn sure LSR stuff,maybe this is a dumb question.BUT here goes.You mentioned in an earlier post or two about personal protection in case of roll over or engine blow up.Have you thought about trying to scrounge up some 1/2 inch aluminum armor plate from a govt surplus sale?Mucho tough plus light weight.From what I understand,it offers the same amount of protection as 1 in steel armor,but much lighter.Just a thought.As I said I don`t know my butt from a breakfast bisquit where this stuff is concerned.But that stuff WOULD give you a bunch of safety margin.Maybe without too much weight penalty.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

16. Thanks! To answer your question that would be a cool material for a driver tub. But, in LSR weight is actually your friend. Weight = downforce without drag like a wing adds. Some of the 2-300mph doorslammers weigh 6000 pounds or more. Guys add tons of ballast in the form of lead and or water.

17. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Tman.Thanks for the reply.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

18. Spent a little time carving weld els to shape into a manifold

[​IMG]

19. Figured out how to measure for my tubes, used a dowel inside to hold the axle up into place. Damn, this thing is narrow!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. I will expand/expound? On my methods of cutting the tubes. I set the bell with the spool inside. Then, I figured out how much insertion the upper axle needed to enguage the splines. At this point I cut a dowel to drop down inside the spool to hold the axle up in the proper spot. Then, I figured out that the tube needed to be 1/4" shy of the outside splines and cut it. I used a hose clamp around the tube and clamped it solidly in my bandsaw. The hose clamp keeps the saw straight, 14 5/8s was the mark.

21. whatcha usin for brakes Trent?

22. The rear came with GM disks. I will run those until I can afford more exotic disks. Tom Burkland stressed to me you can never have too many brakes! One reason for the drag/air brakes as well, although they may not make Version 1

23. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

44", right? Sure is. Love the redneck axle pull.

24. That is about center of the track.

25. Rear end looks good. Need to find one for the Uni so we can move to D/MP.

26. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Tim, check the RR newletter, I think there is a QC for sale.

27. Just found and read this thread...Looks like a lotta fun, Trent. Sorry we didn't get together after Jay's deal but we need to respect midwest storms/weather. I understand perfectly.
    I think I'll sell off my Q/C [to help fund my 9 inch] but need to assign a price to it.

28. I'd be interested in those parts. Lets talk.

Yeah, that weekend was goofy, we beat the storm home in time to get snowed in..........at HOME!?!?!?!:eek:

29. 6inarow

6inarow

Bump for the thread Trent

If we ever close on this place I want to come and check this ride out. We are still in Caputa. Thanks for the call today. I am still living out of a suitcase. But soon to end (hopefully.....)

30. Yes, great chat Tom. Your new place is awesome, hope it closes this time around. You are the wealthiest homeless guy I know!

Had a PM that reminded me I have not show the front axle mounting. I also need to find out what spindles this axle is made for. I thought early Fordbut the ID seems different. Need to throw a caliper on it again and check.

[​IMG]

Things are tacked in place. Running a fair amount of caster on this one. More that a street car, less than many salt cars.