Register now to get rid of these ads!
Auctions

SOLD

Discussion in 'Cars For Sale' started by Silva, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Silva

Silva

City: Austin

State: TEXAS!
    Price: $ 38,500
    34Atomic.jpg Link to pictures here:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=36187

1934 Ford 5 -Window coupe

Originally built by Gene McKinney of Gene’s Hot Rods’s… His specialty was 33-34 Fords.
    I bought the car from Gene, several years ago.
    It was and is a good honest Hot rod, I’ve made several changes under my ownership, but the basic bones of the car are unchanged.

Austin Speed Shop performed the top chop, after extensive conversation about what was aesthetically important to me… They did a great job!

I installed 16 inch wheels and tires, and did some subtle things to capture the early build style.

The interior is finished in black and white vinyl rolls and pleats and utilizes the original 34 seat frame and bottom spring.
    It has 1949 mercury window cranks and door handles.

Instruments consist of a very nice Stewart-warner “Survey speedometer “ along with Stewart warner, 2 5/8 water temp and oil pressure gauges.

A 1955 thunderbird steering wheel keeps things on course.

All windows work including the roll down rear. The cowl vent is operational as well.

I don’t crank out the windshield because I haven’t wanted to stress the aluminum windshield frame.

The glass is a light green tint, the drivers side door glass is cracked.

The trunk is trimmed in black card stock and carpeted.
    It a good “Hot Rod” quality interior and suits the car well… Doors open and shut nicely.

The chassis is pretty straight forward:
    Stock 1934 ford frame.

Early Ford banjo rear end w/3:54 gears.

Un-split wishbone and stock 1934 transverse leaf spring. Tube shock conversion on rear end.

The front is a dropped tube axle suspended by a chrome “posies” reverse eye spring, so-cal speed shop front shock kit and an un-split wishbone.

Steering is provided by an F-1 Ford steering box.

Brakes consist of a 40 ford master cylinder with Early Ford hydraulic brakes in the rear.

The front brakes consist of Finned aluminum Buick drums adapted to Ford Bendix type backing plates.

Tires are in good condition having less than 2k miles on them.

6:00-16 front and 7:50-16 rear Coker “Firestones” on Ford wheels.

The body is very solid, Floors are great, and the underside has been sprayed with POR-15.

Firewall is original style and my guess is it was recessed at some point in its life.
    A mig welded stock type panel had been installed previous to my ownership and although its not a pretty weld it is solid and functional.

The rockers are all there but probably the worst body part, if you were to do a proper paint job they would need to be addressed.

When I bought the car I was told the 327 was fresh, it has less than 2k miles on it now. Runs fine.
    It seems pretty mild, probably a rv type cam?

Its equipped with an Edelbrock C4b intake manifold and a Holley 600 carburetor.

Exhaust exits through rams horn manifolds via duals into glasspaks.

I recently cleaned up the engine bay and sorted out spacing on brackets, belt alignment, wire routing
    etc..
    It has a real clean pair of freshly painted Chevrolet script valve covers.

I blasted and painted the rams horn exhaust manifolds with high temp exhaust paint.

It just had a complete tune-up and new points, plugs, wires etc. Sorted and cleaned up some wiring, Installed a new mechanical fan.

Transmission is a 39 Ford top loader 3 speed, shifted via the stock 34 pedal assembly.
    Typical leaks from torque tube…

In summation a solidly built car in a very traditional scope, that runs and drives as one would expect.
    Clear Texas title in our name. Listed at $38,500 with reasonable offers considered.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017