Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Save of the day!!(single seater)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Mar 14, 2017.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Havent had time to do shit. Ordered 5 pounds of citric acid on amazon and did a little parts soak though. Did a two day soak and a wire wheel job and now the tie rod ends look like this. Highly recommended for rust removal. Look at the post above for a before photo. IMG_2385.JPG IMG_2386.JPG

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  2. what mix ratio did you use? Looks very good.

Greenblade likes this.
  3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Well not really a ratio at all. I used just enough water along with a few shakes of citric to cover the parts. I'm an old carpenter with ruff leather hands that usually have scratches or busted knuckle, let me tell ya when you dig the parts out with your bare hand you know right where the sore is!!!

Greenblade, 48fordnut, Gotgas and 5 others like this.
  4. gdaddy

gdaddy
    from nw fl.

thanks for the tip , I am going to order some of that .

5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I'm all over the place with this build, tonight after work I ruffed out a cowl steering blister(may or may not get used)I made the buck years ago for a blister on my T modified. I was going to make a different style for this car but my pops talked me into using the same one. IMG_2404.jpg IMG_2406.jpg IMAG0123.jpg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    sko_ford, LBCD, brEad and 9 others like this.
  6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

IMG_2403.jpg I just could'nt use the Kool tie rod /wishbone frame brackets that I had milled up a few weeks ago, they were just to over the top for the style of build I'm going for. I whipped these up Sunday afternoon.

brEad, brad2v, Ron Funkhouser and 2 others like this.
  7. Like the blister and I would agree with your Dad! Your brackets are always flawless. :):)

onekoolkat1950 likes this.
  8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Here again havent been doing a whole lot on the project. I did get the front end mocked up and the spring perches bent after I split the bones. IMG_2436.JPG IMG_2437.JPG

brEad, brad2v, spurgeonforge and 7 others like this.
  9. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Just read through this thread. That's some really nice work and a real good looking car.

10. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Thanks man! I'm really digging your ride also.

11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Got my right hand side panel tacked in this afternoon. Sure has been slow going lately. IMG_2444.JPG IMG_2445.JPG IMG_2446.JPG

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    brEad, brad2v, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the tacky present @rusty rocket...:D...Merry Christmas...great job and go get some cheer now...;)

13. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Thanks Dude I'm having a Holiday Ale as we speak! You have a great holiday season also.

Stogy likes this.
  14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I've had a few days off between jobs so I started working on sub rails. I had 16 gauge hot rolled so I guess thats what I'm going to use. IMG_2464.JPG IMG_2466.JPG IMG_2468.JPG IMG_2469.JPG

brEad, brad2v, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  15. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Sub rails ruffed out and test fit. IMG_2470.JPG
    IMG_2471.JPG IMG_2472.JPG

brEad, brad2v, spurgeonforge and 4 others like this.
  16. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I was going thru some photos and found this. I got my two 46 front fenders for the tail section from a local hotrodder. Back in the late 80s early 90s guys were using cordoba headlight buckets and trim rings for a frenched headlight. So the guy I got these from had just bought himself a new wire feed and the headlights were the first project. It didnt go so well, I didnt feel to bad cutting them up for the tail! I have to laugh every time I see this. My wife thought we should put a headlight in it and make a piece of yard art. IMG_1976.JPG IMG_1978.JPG

Greenblade, Nostrebor and Stogy like this.
  17. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I'm very glad to see you chose your source material with some forethought. It's a shame to waste otherwise good panels. Thanks for sharing those pics. Unbelievable!

18. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I hear ya. I could not, would not cut up a pristine panel for this funky little project. Every piece on this build so far has been someones cast off junk parts. The cowl was found in the woods, fenders were in an attic, trunk lid filler panels were from cars half buried in a stock pond, frame was in my pops scrap metal pile and the front end was a cast off from a mustang two swap.

19. Wow what an awesome project

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

brad2v likes this.
  20. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Made a redneck citric acid dunk tank made from a piece of rain gutter so I can de rust my frame rails and wishbones. Wow what progress!!! IMG_2475.JPG

21. Tim: I like the citric acid idea. I have used lemon juice concentrate and works good. I did it on a piece of sheet metal with surface rust. I told a friend about it and He soaked a door lock assembly out of a '32 p.u. and was amazed how well it worked.TW Edit: I went back and looked at the "Kool" frame brackets, I would use them!!! They are kool, deco look. I also saw the "F" script bolt heads. I've not ever seen those before, where did you get them??. I have seen bolts with Ford script spelled out on them A friend had a gennie '32 hiboy with a set holding the gas tank on but didn't remember where they came from. Tim

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  22. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I LOVE IT! I might build a jig like that myself!

You got the stuff on Amazon, eh?

I looked around here on the HAMB and found a recent thread on proportioning:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...for-mixing-citric-acid.1081388/#post-12257016

It's also being used in @justabeater37 's build:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/pounding-out-a-t-roadster.1086957/page-6#post-12383445
    where @Finnrodder says he uses a 5% mixture.

brad2v likes this.
  23. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yeah,i use the 5% mixture.Some people says that the 3% works great and other that the 7% is fine.So i choose something between those..
    I dont know how is there,but i have bought the citric acid from agriculture shops in here.The farmers use that stuff for the diarrhea medicine for pigs or they bleach cowhouse walls with that stuff.
    I have tried this trick once and it works too,but it sure takes some time.I bought a water based wallpaper glue and instead of using water,i used the citric acid with the glue powder.The quarterpanels of my project got some surface rust in the garage,so i brushed that citric acid goo on the quarterpanels.Then i brush it away and rinsed it at next day and brushed new layer of the goo on the panels.At next day i rinsed it again and the surface rust was gone.So i dryed the panels and sprayed some primer on the panels.Like i said,this trick works too,but its messy and takes some time.I used it only because i didnt want to warp the quarterpanels with the sandblaster.If possible,i prefer the sandblasting in works like this.
    The citric acid is good way to clean gas tanks from rust too.Just fill the tank with citric acid and let it be there day or 2,then rinse it,dry it and you are done.

ratrodrodder and brEad like this.
  24. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Yes I bought the citric on amazon. Sure works good if you have a day of two to let it soak. I have never measured for a mixture just thrown a handful of acid in the water and gave it a mix. I dont think its a big deal getting it just right for small parts.

patmanta likes this.
  25. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Your wallpaper glue trick sounds interesting, What happens if the glue drys, how would a guy get the mixture off?

26. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

After 24hrs that wallpaperglue/citric acid goo didnt dry completely.I am not a chemist,but i think the acid made the drying process slower,than it could have been with the water/glue mixture.
    I used a coarse sponge and a bucket(s) full of warm water to get it off from the quarters.I guess it could be real pain in the ass to get it off,if you use something else than water based glue.
    Well,this isnt my own invention.I've heard that older restoration guys have used it with their projects and i decided to try it.

27. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Holy crap! :D

28. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Been trying to figure out a radiator to fit in my track nose. So I've been surfing the net and found a honda civic tuner radiator and a John Deere tractor radiator, so I was leaning towards the John Deere. My buddy in the mean time calls and wants to do some trading for an I beam front axle I have for a forty ford banjo he has. Told him I was kicking around radiator choices and he says I have a 65 mustang radiator so I load up the I beam and my track nose and head to his place, when I get there he says I forgot I have this little alum. Radiator new in the box. Low and behold its the exact same Honda radiator I was looking at online. Best part was he gave it to me. IMG_2484.JPG

29. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Serendipity!

Greenblade and Stogy like this.
  30. alchemy

alchemy

What is the overall measurements of the Honda radiator? Do you know any manufacturer info?