Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Restoring dad's 52 Pontiac Chieftain

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ross LaPorta, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Ross LaPorta

Ross LaPorta

My dad purchased this car in 1961. After sitting for 47 years I promised him I would not get rid of his first car. I have tons of questions on the restoration I'm not a novice to doing this. but I want to make sure I don't go down a rabbit hole. We are just time keepers to these wonderful cars. That I want to pass on to my grandchildren. So I think I need to modernise some of it for them to keep the car in existence.
    I've accumulated parts for the last 20 years. The straight eight is at the machine shop, the rear diff is being overhauled. All looking good so the Hydramatic will be sent out next.
    I'm new to message board so I'll apologize should I mess it up.

stillrunners, Hnstray and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  2. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way cool, we really appreciate lots of good detailed photographs!

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

You found the right place ... find Phil A's thread on his '51 4 door & read it; Rocky's doing a '50 coupe ...

Some pictures & your location will help.

Hnstray and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  4. Also, check out the Pontiac/Oakland club.

5. We LOVE pictures.....it also helps us help you...and your dad !

6. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

7. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Much of the suspension is the same as Olds. Engine & trans parts are not too hard to find.
    Have we scared you off?

8. Ross LaPorta

Ross LaPorta

No, trying to figure what to do next I sent engine to the machine shop. Transmission to be evaluated. Rear-end to be overhauled. Trying to learn how to post pictures.

9. indyjps

indyjps

You have your drivetrain plan, see what mild performance upgrades, oiling modifications etc are available for the straight 8, now is the time to decide while the engine is apart if you want to change anything from stock.

If youre rebuilding the rear, see what other straight 8 users suggest for a gear if you want to change.

Suspension should be fine with stock rebuild or some minor upgrades, shocks, sway bars, I dont know these cars well

Drums or Disc upgrade, up to you, scarebird usually has a kit for most cars, may move your wheel mounting surface from stock location.
    Dual pot master cylinder is a good swap and Id suggest it on everything but a strict resto.

Inconspicuous or hidden A/C would sure be nice for a cruiser.

Oh yeah.......bodywork and chrome:eek:

Lets see what youre working with and what YOUR plan is.

10. Ross LaPorta

Ross LaPorta

11. Ross LaPorta

Ross LaPorta

I took car to the body shop to start disassembly. I'm a very experienced body shop person. Whose health has thrown me a curve ball at 66. So even though I can't perform a lot of things I want to do to the car I'm definitely in control of all aspects of it.

Attached Files:

indyjps likes this.
  12. Ross LaPorta

Ross LaPorta

Has anybody try Incorporating an electric steering system from a Prius to a stock column? I want to Preserved as much as I can of the original but some modern convenience.

13. You'll be the first to try it. I've got a 1950 coupe with straight 8/hydramatic. 50pont12_2020.jpg

14. Ross LaPorta

Ross LaPorta

Nice car, my machine shop was surprised the amount of resources there are if they would look. Problem most people my age are leaving the work force and taking there knowledge with them. The people who were very good at what they did have disappeared

15. v8flat44

v8flat44

NICE, something great about the old straight 8. An uncle & my maternal grandpa drove them & as a kid i loved those cars. Still do.

16. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Check out pontiacsafari.com. A lot of good info about 1950s Pontiacs.