Register now to get rid of these ads!

Overlooked hubcaps.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sir Woosh, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

I know there will be a million different opinions on hub caps, but to try to keep it narrowed down. Let's think along the lines of something similar to Dodge Lancer or Caddy Sombrero style full size hub caps for customs. There are others that have cool style, but are rarely seen.

I'm running 59 Buick Electra spinners on my 55 Olds and very few can identify them, but like them.
    Click the pic to enlarge. Someday I'll figure out the secret to posting bigger pics.

Attached Files:

2. Scott F.

Scott F.

1954 packard Clipper w/ accessorizing bullet.
    STUPID date stamp on the pic!! :mad: Rrrrr

Attached Files:

3. Mine are 50-53 Olds with a 3" bullet in the center. I like them cause they're smooth.
    [​IMG]

Here's what they look like without the bullet
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

4. raidmagic

raidmagic

What date stamp?:D

[​IMG]

5. Scott F.

Scott F.

Thank you!!

6. nachodog

nachodog
    from socal

I like them without the bullet.

7. millersgarage

millersgarage

[​IMG]

'56 Oldsmobile on my "47 Ford

8. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Ditto! lose the bullet

9. Squablow

Squablow

Everyone always wants the Lancer caps but I think the plain '55 Dodge wheel covers are very classy. They seem to sell fairly cheap as well, very affordable.

[​IMG]

'62 Caddy hubcaps are really good looking too, especially with a bullet in the center, but you need the Caddy rims to fit the caps, they have a special wheel.

10. padorey

padorey

I use a 57 Caddy hub cap with Dodge Lancer Spinners. I machined the spinners to fit closer to the cap. Then machined a nut and shaft then mounted spinner to shaft. Thus the spinner does not turn but the hub cad does..An eye opener.

Attached Files:

11. padorey

padorey

these caps may be better known as 49 to 51 Merc. cap
    These are original caps and spinners not repros

Attached Files:

12. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'53 Desoto. (I think.. not real sure..found em in a pile of stuff..)

[​IMG]

-Abone.

13. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Sure is a smooth looking car Bob. Looks like it's spinning fast even when it's sitting still.

Cool cap combo's for sure!

But I like these 59 Buick covers for being exactly the way they are from the factory........Cone, floating ring and spinners already in place.

Attached Files:

14. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

'56 Plymouth

[​IMG]

not a popular cap by any means, i know. but there's an interesting story behind them. in 1962, a year out of high school, my dad started building a 33 3 window. he had it channeled, quarter elliptical springs in the back, '35 front end, rocket motor and hydro, etc. when it came back from getting channeled, he put the motor in, and borrowed his buddy's (our own recently passed AV8PAUL) '34 pickup grille to lean against the front. then he stole the hubcaps off his dad's plymouth and took some pictures.

it's one of my favorite set of pictures from my dad. he worked on that car for a couple years, but sold it for some nest egg money, and proposed to my mom.

i found a set online a couple years ago. i haven't had them on a car until i modified them a little bit to fit the wheels on the '54. i like them for the story more than anything.

15. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Here is Dodge Lancer on a 50’s car, I like hubcaps on Cars, I change them often and each time it changes the look of the Car.

Attached Files:

16. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

The hubcaps on the Raven came from Ellis the Rim Man in the Boston area during the 50's. Sometime while the Raven was barn stored, Arthur's father was cleaning out the barn and he threw them out.

I looked for almost 2 years and then found 4 NOS identical hubcaps at Hershey in the fall of 08. They were still in their original box and wrappings. The lady at first told me $100 so I asked her if this was for all four. She looked at a piece of paper her husband had left her and told m "Oh you can have all 4 for only $80. I paid her and brought them back to my truck before her husband returned.

I've attached two pics, one from the 50's and the other with the newly found hubcaps.

Joe

Attached Files:

17. Ruiner

Ruiner

'63 Dodge spinner hubcaps on a *GASP* '63 Dodge!...10 points to anyone that can tell me what model Dodge she is ;)...

Attached Files:

18. studeboy

studeboy

I had a set of these 55 pontiac caps but they turned into frisbees during the tornado a few years ago, never to be seen again. The plan was to put a short 4" bullet over the Pontiac logo.

Attached Files:

19. I've got a set of '62 Stude hubcaps. I don't know if I am going to use them or not. May put them on my car and see how they look. Otherwise, they will end up in the classified adds!

Attached Files:

20. Zerk

Zerk

880!
    On the big Chrysler frame.
    What can I get for my 10 points?
    Anything on the top row, between the kewpie dolls and the jujubes?

21. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

I'm hoping the thread continues as there's so many other cool hub caps overlooked. To me the Lancer with a cone is hard to top for glitz, and Bob's Sombrero with a cone looked just plain slick fast.

But my challenge is to find those other caps that already have a cone and spinner from the factory (plus the floating ring!) This 59 Buick cap has all that out of the box. Anything else with a cone and spinner from stock?

Keep posting the other overlooked and forgotten dog dish and full caps too! You just may help someone find that special feature for their custom................

Attached Files:

22. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

23. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I've always liked the early Studebaker 53-55 Caps

Attached Files:

24. Muttley

Muttley

Those are good looking caps. I've got a set of them hanging on the wall in my garage, too bad they look like a pack of wild dogs fought over them.

25. Those Buick Caps are great and tough to find. 1 year only, got any etras let me know!!!!

26. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Loveoftiki........ Just checked evilbay and found all kinds of 59 Buick hub caps, but without the spinner, halo and cone center. There is one set with everything about to go off for a little over a hundred last I checked.

Wish I had a bunch of them, but only the one set for my 55 Olds. Sorry!

27. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

packard clipper cap on my 41

[​IMG]

28. Ruiner

Ruiner

Well, to be 100% correct it's a Custom 880 ;)...gotta love them big MoPar land yachts...and their 383 powerplants with too tall of gearing...give me a 3 mile stretch and we'll see who can outrun her :)...

29. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

That's what I have for my Shoebox ... should look cool on there as well .