Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to post pictures in a forum (for those that are non computer friendly)

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by fordsbyjay, Mar 16, 2011.

1. fordsbyjay

fordsbyjay
    from Lafayette

Awhile ago I put together an article on posting pictures in a forum. The idea was to help the 'older' folks that are not so computer savy when they are trying to post pictures. Seems how I have been posting here more often I thought I would share it in hopes that it will help others.

Background: Forums, like the HAMB , do not actually store the pictures you see when reading the site. They are stored on different picture sites like photobucket or putfile etc. When someone creates a thread what they do is actually insert a link to the pictures on the host site. This is done to save money as it would require a lot more server space to store the pictures, server space costs money and most forum run on super low budgets so that is the way they can get by.

The first thing you need to do is create an account at a picture hosting site. I use photobucket.com.
    [​IMG]

Create an account.
    [​IMG]

After creating an account you will get a blank page to upload your pictures to.
    [​IMG]

You will need to select where you pictures are coming from (ie your computer).

[​IMG]

You can upload multiple pictures by holding down the "CTRL" button while you click on them with your mouse.
    [​IMG]

After your pictures load you will them on the photobucket page.
    [​IMG]

Next run your mouse over the picture you want to post in the forum thread.
    [​IMG]

Click the bottom box to copy the location of your pictures. This is the internet address of where you pictures are stored on the web.
    [​IMG]

Head over to the HAMB.
    [​IMG]

Start your thread.
    [​IMG]

Paste your picture.
    [​IMG]

You should now see the picture you want to post.
    [​IMG]

2. That's cool.
    Now show me how to attach pictures to a PM. That, I can't seem to figure out.

3. petebert

petebert

I prefer http://imgur.com/ it's simpler, no account needed. Once you upload your pic you can resize it there too. Just click the edit option.

4. reaper71

reaper71

Hell yeah!!! you nailed it brother i finally got my full size pics up!
    you made it soooooo easy Thank You

Mark

5. fordsbyjay

fordsbyjay
    from Lafayette

I will have to check them out.

6. Smokey2

Smokey2

Yes, THANKS A BUNCH!!!!!!
    My Son had shown ME TWICE!, Won't show ME AGAIN!!
    You Explained it SO even I can Relate..........

Smokin' again!......In tha' GREAT Smokey Mountains:cool:

quote: "I have great faith in FOOLS-
    self Confidence, MY Friends call IT. "
    Edgar Allen Poe :p

7. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Very nicely explained. Thank you for everything except the "older" comment. Way to go making me feel like a fossil LOL.

Joe

8. fordsbyjay

fordsbyjay
    from Lafayette

Well I am "mid" old so I figured I might be able to get away with it.

9. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

This thread should be a "Sticky" Its a great help! N.N.

10. thanks....from the older folks....

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

imgur is kool-thanks

12. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Thanks Jay. I have a photo bucket account, but still have a hang up getting the pic thing accomplished. Must be super simple for me to miss it. Always trying to make things more complicated than they are.

13. styleline

styleline
    from so-hol

[​IMG]

thanks bro it works fine

cheers

14. rangeman

rangeman
    from medford,or

Been trying to figure out pictures. Thanks. Now I have it bookmarked so I can find the process again, cause you know I won't remember--and my daughter acts like I should know if I'm shown once. Thanks Jay.

15. What about ...............................................................

...............................................................................look down
    this button first
    "go advanced"
    then click on the "paper clip"
    then click on "browse" for each image
    find your image in your computer, click on "save"
    then click "upload"
    then at the top right "close window"
    Now you have two boxes.....
    top one is for text
    bottom one shows list of images to upload
    under the SECOND box click "submit".............your on HAMB

16. Need help with the PM attachment

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  17. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I load my pictures to my albums on the HAMB
    you don't need an outside host

18. Nice job! :D You put a lot of work into this and I hope everyone appreciates the effort.

Hope you don't mind if I make a couple additions.

When you upload your pictures to Photobucket or wherever, consider resizing them to something no bigger than about 800x600 pixels or so. This way they won't break the frames in the forum and you won't have to scroll the page from side to side to see everything. Actually, 640x480 is big enough for most pictures. Also, the pages will load onscreen faster. And the people with slower internet connections will love you for it! :)

And if you're pasting in links for multiple pictures, don't just paste them all in one continuous string. Hit "ENTER" a couple times between each link so there's a space between them. this will assure that all the pictures are stacked vertically. Otherwise, some browsers can act a bit wonky and you can end up with several pictures running across the width of the screen and you're back to scrolling the page from side to side again.:mad:

Thanks again for putting this up! Pretty impressive for a guy with only 24 posts so far! :D

19. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

20. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Testing a resized picture...

[​IMG]

I just resized the pictures one at a time. Is there a way to do them all globally at the same time?

21. fordsbyjay

fordsbyjay
    from Lafayette

I have never done PM attachments so I can't help you there. Hopefully someone else can help out.

I didn't realize the HAMB had albums but good point.

LOL. I have to try and contribute some how. Excellent suggestions btw.

I don't know myself but I sure wish I did. For resizing I will either use photobucket or a free program used irfanview.

22. I don't know myself but I sure wish I did. For resizing I will either use photobucket or a free program used irfanview.[/QUOTE]

Irfanview is an amazing piece of software, especially for FREE! :D

It's not terribly flashy, it isn't always intuitive, but it is usually pretty fast and it works as advertised. Makes for a nice simple photo browser as well.

It also allows you to do "batch processing" meaning you can select a dozen or 30 or 50 pics at a time and rezsize them and even change the file names if you wish. Go to the index tab of the Irfanview help menu and search for "batch conversion" for all the details.

If you happen to be using a Canon camera you can also do batch resizing with the Canon Zoombrowser software. There's probably similar options available with other camera maker's software as well. Google's "Picasa" image browser will also do resizing, and it's FREE too! :cool:

Depending on your operating system there may also be some built in software for doing resizing. My version of Windows XP didn't include it but there is a free dowload on the Windows website called "Windows PowerToys" which includes this feature. It may already be installed on Vista or Windows 7.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  23. flattynut

flattynut
    from ca

I use PIXresizer and use "apply recommended" for size.
    Cuts them down to 100K or so, helps when e-mailing them to friends, so they don't get pissed at you for sending endlessly downloading megabyte pics.:)

24. It's a bit tricky at first to grasp the idea of resizing digital pictures. The first thing you have to do is convince yourself to stop thinking in terms of inches. Online or on your monitor it's all a matter of pixels.

Hover your cursor over an image file, or right-click on the picture itself, and then click on Properties. This will show you the pixel dimensions of the image, width x height. Then consider that most monitors display at a size of 1600 x 1200 pixels, 1440 x 900 pixels or something in that range. Older CRT monitors (pre-flat screen LCDs) may have displays at only 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768.

As a result, for online display a 640 x 480 or 800 x 600 image is usually sufficient. It won't break the frames in most forums and you don't have to scroll the screen from side to side to see the whole picture. As an added bonus they'll upload quicker for you and download quicker for us. And you'll make new friends among the people who don't have a whiz-bang lightning fast internet connection! :D

25. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

26. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

27. I tried copying the pic url of a pic from my profile album and was told invalid url. Or how do you post straight from your computer. I am trying to post pics in the body of the post as opposed to an attachment you have to open.

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  28. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

29. Did we ever get the info on posting a photo in a PM?
    I can post a pic on the main board but can't figure out how to do it in a PM.

Help!!

Mick

30. reyn

reyn

test

Attached Files: