Register now to get rid of these ads!

History More Match Bash!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Jun 10, 2022.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

More Match Bash!

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. squirrel

squirrel

:cool: gotta love em!

(thanks for reminding me it was time to change my avatar)

The37Kid and 427 sleeper like this.
  3. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

I have this issue as well! Steve Magnante has pushed this look several vehicles! The ingenuity and balls it took to just aim these bombs down the 1320 is freakin' awesome!

427 sleeper likes this.
  4. catdad49

catdad49

That’s a Great issue and PHR seemed to cover these often. How ya doin’, Joey?!

427 sleeper likes this.

5. guitarguy

guitarguy

What I loved about some of those old Mags was they showed build pics. To me the getting there of the build is sometimes more rewarding/special than the finished project.

And as a former model builder, that's the kind of stuff you need when your replicating in miniature.

catdad49 likes this.
  6. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Good piece, Joey. Starting in the early sixties, I followed the AA/FD racing scene by reading Drag News weekly and can offer some insight from that time period. While your reader argued that Match Bash was a term back then, but it was generally referred to as just match racing. Match bash sounds like a term concocted by a drag strip promoter, which then became a colloquialism.

That scene you are covering, which took place took place in the late sixties and early seventies, was inspired a scene was started about '64, by Chrisman, Landy, Nicholson and the factory sponsored Dodge Chargers among others. The promoters started match racing because there was no recognized class for them at that time, yet they were a big draw.

The tepid response here may have to do with the fact that the southern scene took place outside of the HAMB guideline period of pre-'65.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
    Budget36 likes this.
  7. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

8. catdad49

catdad49

Good stuff, Tom. I'll do some digging this week and see what I can add. Note to self, 65 and older!!

Just Gary likes this.