The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beau, Feb 1, 2012.
Both sides are in.
Have you fired it to see how it sounds yet?
Made some kick panels.
like your fab work
lookin' forward to any updates
I have not fired it yet. Two exhaust studs broke on the left head, and I'm sure a couple will break on the right. I need to put the oil pump in, a couple gaskets, radiator hoses and little stuff before I fire it. I can't wait though!
Oof, can you get the broken studs out?
I also had a question about your pipes. It looks like the hanging brackets are hard mounted; are you gonna put bushings or soft washers in there?
With the aluminum heads it should be a really fun time getting them out. I welded about 6 nuts on to each of them and they just kept breaking off a bit at a time.
The rear section of the exhaust will be hard mounted at the crossmember and the frame. I put the stupid braided flex pipes in to take care of the flex from the engine moving.
Just found Your thread today, enjoying watching the evolution of the project.
On the snapped studs, if it's broke below flush, just build up a good bead of weld, then weld a nut to that bead.....wait till completely cool. (and possibly heat the head around the stud trying not to get heat in the stud.
or is his what you have been doing
I was welding nut on and doing this I'm a bit hesitant to heat the right right now because they are aluminum. The stud are a 14" below flush. I'm not super worried yet, just a bit of a roadblock on the trip to starting it.
I like your use of metal for the kick panel's. Look's really good!!!
I wasted some time making a panel for under the dash. It'll never be seen unless someone crawls into the tub head first. My lady ran the crank while I guided it through. I need to shape and trim it, then weld it in.
Looking good, looks like you have a good grip on the bead roller now.
One thing I would have done early on would have been a mock up windshield height/pillars would help when deciding or proportions. (I like it just the way i is now)
Surprised your lady has not penned a drawing of the car yet.
I need to polish the dies up and learn a bit more on how to use it. I feel like some sort or adjustable table would help a lot. I have a local guy that's gonna show me what he used to convert it into a foot operated electric powered roller.
I'll get back to the windshield later. I have some ideas for it though. We are gonna do a snap on cover as well.
Shaped to match the dash and a angle piece welded on for strength.
Bump for the morning crew.
That'll certainly keep you from kicking your wiring harness loose! Looks great!
Gotta modify the floor a bit more. I like the exhaust so far.
Maybe some of this?
Loving this little car.
Thanks! Been loving your build as well.
Dig the apron
I love the look of covered frame horns. I'm covering mine with a 48 F1 piece... eventually.
Today I met another cool old street rod builder and bought some tools he no longer needed. He made the slip roll and it works pretty damn good. I also got a cheap shrinker/stretcher with a stand he built. I'm real excited to have these around and the price was excellent!
Fellow HAMB member Alienbaby17 finally pulled his F100 out and is starting his Model A pickup. It's nice to see another Model A in the shop. He is the one that planted the seed and got me thinking about building my car. This is gonna be fun!
Great score on the tools! You'll be glad to have'em! I'm about to start putting what I've got to use.
This build keeps getting better every time I look at it...
Pull max fun!
It's all in the little details that count.... Looks great from my end! Keep pluggin' away!
The start of my hood sides.
Oh NICE! I'm envious of your Pullmax access! I'm considering a set of those louver dies for my bead roller. I'm fairly certain the Pullmax is a superior tool however.
Separate names with a comma.