Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Alienbaby17's Model A Truck Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Alienbaby17, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Background:

I have too many projects, there is no question about that. As a result I also have too many unfinished projects. As I write this now I have a fairly nice driver ‘52 Olds, a fairly crusty driver ‘55 F100, about a dozen vintage bicycles in various states of decay/ completion, a 90% finished home made teardrop trailer, and numerous garage ‘odds and ends’ that I’ve amassed over the last 20 years or so, not to mention a nearly 100 year old house that is far from perfect and we are planning to move out of in the next year. I like to humor myself by using the term ‘project diversification’ to describe this sickness. When I get bored or tired of one project, or even just reach a point where I can’t go any further due to time, finances, etc. I always have something else I can move onto for a while to keep me from getting bored. At 37 years old I’ve learned that I need to always stay busy because when I get bored I get depressed and then my project seems to become draining bottles of Jack Daniels.

Even with everything I had going on I still didn’t find myself at peace with my projects. There was always something in me that made me scour the classified listings on the HAMB and Craigslist daily. I knew I absolutely did not need another project but this became a part of my regular routine. It was ridiculous, pointless and maybe even on the verge of self-destructive. Bringing home another hulk of rusted steel would surely have been enough to finally drive my wife running, screaming out of the house. But I did it anyway- and with her consent.

The thing that was keeping me up nights was the vision of building an old hot rod. I pictured something primitive, fenderless, and very basic. I wanted something we could jump in and put 500 miles on in a weekend or drive across the country in. It was an overly romantic notion not complicated with the reality of countless skinned knuckles, repeatedly exceeded budgets, rusted bolts, living in a cologne of WD-40, and the endless amount of normal life obligations and time commitments that normally get in the way. I had the "project goggles" on and I was going to do this.

It was a night in late October when I found what I needed to scratch my itch. There was an ad on Craigslist that simply read something like, "I have what I think is a ‘28 or ‘29 Ford truck cab in my garage. It was made from a sedan at least 30 years ago and was a pretty good job. $500 or best offer. Email me and I will call you back right away." Against my better judgement I emailed him before going to bed that night. When I climbed into bed I sheepishly told my wife what I had done. In my head I had already envisioned buying the cab on my way home from work the next day. I thought I should at least give her a warning of what to expect. I’ll admit in order to pull this off I had to use a little ‘creativity’ in my presentation of the idea to my wife. I spun it with the classic, "If I buy this one fairly complete thing I can get rid of all of those bits and pieces I was collecting to hopefully compile into something someday" argument. Surprisingly she bit and actually seemed to think it was a good idea. I was dumb-struck that this had worked and she had given me the green light.

The next day at work I got a phone call early in the morning from the seller. We chatted for a few minutes and I arranged to come by late that afternoon when I got out of work to give it a look. All day long I was excited and checking the clock. At 4 o’clock I grabbed my cell phone to give the guy a call and confirm we were good for me to come over. No answer. Something immediately changed in my head. A cold wave of common-sense washed over me and I realized what a terrible idea this was with all of the other things I already had going on in my life. I almost instantly completely dropped the idea and instead decided to spend the next hour working on an old bicycle frame I’d picked up. The Model A was forgotten.

When I got home that night I explained to the wife what had happened. She actually seemed almost disappointed by my change of heart. We made dinner and then settled in with watching a movie. During the movie my phone rang. It was the guy with the Model A calling me back. I decided not to answer it as I was done with the idea of buying it. A moment later curiosity got the better of me and I had to get up and listen to his message. He said he had been called into work and apologized for not being around that afternoon. He said that if I was still interested to call him back. I hung up the phone and told my wife what he had said. This next part of the story is one that may seem hard to believe but I assure you it is true. She re-convinced me this was a good idea and encouraged me to return his call. Instantly I was back on board with the project and five minutes later I had made arrangements to go check it out first thing in the morning.

One of the most enticing details about this project was that the seller was only a couple of miles from my house. It just goes to prove that there is old tin squirreled around EVERYWHERE. I think if I had x-ray vision I would be shocked to see how much good stuff there is sitting all over in garages in my very own neighborhood.

When I got to the seller’s house it was a fairly quick decision. Actually, the decision had pretty much already been made on the way over. I wanted it, even sight unseen and I had decided if it even looked pretty good I would be bringing it home. After seeing it in person and walking around it for a couple of minutes I asked the seller, "Do you think we can get it in the back of my truck?" We agreed to give it a shot. As we started to load it up he asked, "I assume this means you want to buy it, right?" It occurred to me that I hadn’t paid for it yet and that we hadn’t even discussed price. Once the cab had been precariously loaded into the back of my F100 we came to an agreement on price and moments later I was driving away grinning like a fool.

[​IMG]

Being both an impatient and independent person I decided to unload the cab myself. This is the extremely hokey set-up I used to do it.

[​IMG]

Model A Jenga, anyone?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
    Beau likes this.
  2. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

Looks like a great start!

3. killbilly

killbilly

I's gonna look cool,the curved rear panel will give it a different look,you'll have to compensate with a matching curve in the bed front panel...I think you are like most us on here,we are like kids in a toy store,we see something and say oh man I want one of those!and then we see something else and say the same thing..... also 30/31?

4. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Yes, Killbilly it is a '30/31 cab made from a Tudor sedan. The previous owner had mistakingly advertised it as a '28/29. I hadn't considered the shape of the back panel effecting the box but you raise a good point. That will be something for me to think about.

Evaluation and Planning:

Once I got the cab home and unloaded from the truck it was time to give it a really good look over. I didn’t discover any major surprises. Most of the wood was rotten, the doors were sagging and the subrails were falling apart. There was some rust in the normal places these tend to rust out at but overall I was still very happy with my purchase.

As I stood there admiring my new project I began to do what everyone with a new project does- imagine it completed.

I began to conjure up a plan for the build.

Drivetrain:
    Some form of carbureted overhead valve engine, probably a V8 but it didn’t have to be. Not to exceed a maximum of around 250 HP.
    An automatic transmission.
    A decently geared, semi-modern rear axle with easy serviceability.

Chassis:
    Mostly stock frame.
    Dropped front axle.
    Transverse leaf springs and split wishbones front and rear.

Body:
    Fenderless.
    Possibly a small chop in the distant future (no more than 3").
    Probably a hood.
    Most likely a full length box.

Outside of that I was pretty open to anything. I had certain ideas I assumed the build would involve but there was nothing else that I absolutely was dead set on.

In the very early phases of my planning I made the mistake of picking up a Speedway catalog and began to compile the very dangerous "If Money Were No Object" list. Very quickly I was well over the 10K mark without even having an engine factored in. Even if I did have the money I wouldn't really go about building a car this way but it was fun to do some 'window shopping' on a cold winter day. I’ve built cars in the past and know they are expensive but that kind of budget wasn’t going to be in the cards unless it was spread out over the next 5-10 years. I couldn’t wait that long to get this project on the road.

I decided to not look that far into the future and instead to spend the next couple of months focusing on getting the cab into better shape and hunting down the rest of the body.

5. TheBurnoutsCarClub

TheBurnoutsCarClub
    BANNED
    from US

What...you're not done yet? Hurry up!

I've probably owned a dozen 30-31 cabs. I still have some door tops, windshield moldings, cab corner brackets, drip rails, etc. Don't know if they'd fit that "phantom" cab or not though...

6. Beau

Beau

This is gonna be a fun one!

7. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Congrats on your find. Being it was a cut down tudor (tudor & pickup use the same door), you could put a regular pick-up cab back on it they show up at swap meets now & then.

8. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

That's something to consider, 31Apickup. Initially I had some good people on another board mildly offend me bytelling me I should make it a "proper" pickup by putting a correct truck back panel on it. I think honestly that would probably look the best, but I like the interesting history of what I've got. I think it's more of a conversation piece. I also like imagining the craftspeople that originally took that old worn out sedan and choppped it up to make into a pickup to putter around in. Something about that history appeals to me.

Beau, thanks for the optimism! We have had some fun with these haven't we?:D

Getting Dirty:

Several years ago while in the early stages of another project I had bought a ‘30/31 cowl from the HAMB’s very own Junkyard Dog 32. That project stalled shortly after I picked up a ‘39 Ford and the cowl sat in my garage untouched ever since. When I bought the cowl Joe had included the subrail assemblies with it. They were actually still attached to the cowl when I arrived to pick it up and Joe had been nice enough to cut them off for me so that I could get the cowl home more easily. Which brings me to two of my favorite ‘rules of hot rodding’. One, "If someone offers to throw in some other stuff with a purchase take it!" Even if you don’t plan on using it right away you never know what you might need in the future. And the next rule being, "Never get rid of anything". There are exceptions to this rule such as if you can help out a friend or maybe sell something to make a few bucks for your current project, but it always seems like once a part is gone it becomes the next part you desperately need. I was so grateful I had saved the old subrails. I found them stashed away and (nearly) forgotten about in the ‘catacombs’ of my storage.

[​IMG]

Found in "the catacombs". A perfect argument to support hoarding.:D

In some of the earlier photos you can see the rough shape the truck cab’s subrails are in. It wasn’t pretty. I decided to make this my first task.
    I disassembled the old subrail assembly by grinding lots and lots of rivets. Once the rails were in pieces I brought them to the shop and cleaned them of 80 years of rust, moss and dirt. Then with that completed I tipped the old cowl on end and removed the previously severed ends of the subrails that were still riveted to it. I cleaned those up as well and then welded them all back together like when they were new. With that done I primed, painted and re-installed them on my cab after removing what was left of the old rotten mess.

[​IMG]

Original rotten disaster. Note the rear cross-brace piece has completely rotted away except for where it attaches at the subrails.

[​IMG]

Renovated subrail assembly installed in truck cab.

I had hoped that by installing a new structurally sound subrail that the body might be a little more "squared up" and that the doors would fit better. Sadly even with the new subrails the doors still sagged just as bad or maybe even worse than they had before. At least I had the satisfaction of making some minor improvements and it had only cost me around $25 for primer, paint and hardware to reassemble everything. It was a good start.

[​IMG]

Your humble host and narrator hard at work.:)

9. Fordman75

Fordman75

Looks like another fun project.

Hopefully I'll be adding to your parts collection real soon!:)

10. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

The Box:

One of the main ‘ingredients’ I was hoping to acquire over the winter was a box for the truck. I did some research and found out that Model A boxes and the late (1926-1927) Model T boxes are very similar. Strangely, I found it difficult to actually nail down the exact dimensions of what the stock box should measure. I found several different sources that cited the boxes at about 53" - 57" long, width 40.75" - 43.75" (probably depending on where it was measured) and all measurements were in agreement with a 13" depth. I will confirm my exact dimesnions soon when I get this back out of storage.

Although they are fairly close there are some differences between the Model T and Model A boxes. One of the most obvious differences between the Model T and Model A boxes is the distance of the stake pockets from the front of the box. On the Model T they are somewhere between 7"- 12" from the front panel. On the Model A boxes they are right at the front. Apparently this has to with the shape of the Model T cab requiring them to be further back to be useable. Another very noticeable difference is that at the front of the Model T box there is something protruding from the front panel. It almost looks like a household dryer vent and was used to aid in battery access on the Model T.

Another difference I have yet to confirm was that the late Model T box may have about a 2-2.5" shorter distance between the front of the box and the differential. I had heard of this earlier when I had inquired about having to cut the firewall of my cab for clearance with certain V8 engines. I really didn’t want to cut into the firewall to preserve the looks of the cab and the very precious leg-room inside. The idea of being able to simply move the cab back another 2" and not have to cut up the firewall really appealed to me.

I ended up being in the right place at the right time one day and happened to see a Cragslist ad for "Model A utility trailer" just 15 minutes after it was posted. I called immediately. The seller said he had recently taken it in on a trade and didn’t know anything about the history of it. He assumed it was an A box but didn’t know for sure. There was no price listed- he was seeing what he could get for it. Within minutes I had cash in hand and was headed to his house.

When I got there the trailer was in the driveway. It was the classic, "looks good from far- but far from good" situation. There was a fair amount of rust on it- especially at the back, bottom panel. But, it was complete, generally pretty solid and super easy to get home just by hitching it to the back of my Jeep. I offered the seller $300 for it and brought it home.

It wasn’t until later when I posted pictures here that I found out for certain that it was a 1926-‘27 Model T box. The bottom suspension and axle of the trailer was actually made from a Model T front end. I’m also not 100% certain but I believe the front tongue is a frame rail. I thought it was kind of cool.

My plan is to pull the box off of the trailer for my project and then to build the remaining trailer foundation into a utility trailer to help gather parts for the rest of the build. The trailer has the ‘lifetime registration’ sticker on it so that is a really nice feature.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. 31Apickup

31Apickup

It's funny how many T boxes are out there, they seem to pop up alot. I ended up with one years ago building my truck, not knowing the difference. The rear fenders do mount further forward. Later my uncle gave me an A box. The A box also has a sub frame riser, which wouldn't be difficult to fvabricate, depending upon how you want your truck to look. To really get your doors to fit right, the cab needs to be bolted to the frame and shimmed, mine are still off alittle.

12. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

31Apickup, I had heard that about having to get the body on the frame and shimmed to get things to fit right. That makes a lot of sense. It's also a little reassuring to know that doing that will probably help a lot. That was part of the reasoning for me finding a stock frame to get everything set onto.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  13. squarebird352

squarebird352

you gotta better start for your cab then my 29! I gotta 25 T bed in cherry condition nearly same dimensions as a model A bed . I'm almost certain your bed is both model A, and T, Henry used that bed from 26-28 with the exception Model A had the sub-frame riser added. he did that alot to save money by not having to re-tool and make new dies. example, all 28/29 pickups use the same doors as 26/27 T coupes, and tudor sedans.

14. shep_911

shep_911

love model A pickups. looks like a great start

15. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Thanks for the positive comments, guys. Shep_911, you have a great looking truck! I love the early Hemi and haven't quite ruled out one for this build although I'm far from making that decision right now.

A slight change of heart:

It was shortly after the first of the year when I really began to lose some sleep thinking about this project. That 'project-induced-insomnia' increased when my friend, Beau (replied earlier in this thread and whose own Model A project can be seen here http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=667069) began to get serious about building a project of his own. He'd seen some of my past projects and parts I'd collected and we started chatting on the subject bouncing ideas off one another. I think finding someone local that we could actually discuss our builds with 'ad nauseum' was kind of a pleasant discovery for both of us. In the weeks that followed we began a tear across Minnesota garages and farmsteads shaking out long forgotten, bits and pieces of old jalopies for both of our projects.

It was after I started to see how quickly and affordably Beau's project was taking shape that I started to get a little jealous. I began to second-guess a lot of my previous notions of brand new, store-bought reproduction parts pieced together like a common model kit. I started to wonder why I couldn't use mostly original pieces to build something even better and with a lot more character, heart and soul, and even history. The fact that a lot of these original 'survivor' parts could be bought for a fraction of the cost of the new, aftermarket parts was an extra bonus.

In the past 2 months I've collected a lot of crucial parts and met a ton of great people along the way. Just over a month ago I bought a nice original Model A frame all sandblasted and in great condition from a fellow HAMB'r, "30TudorSedan". I also picked up a somewhat "newer" part in the way of a '66-'77 Ford Bronco 9 inch rear axle assembly with 3.55 gears from a vintage Bronco guy. A Craigslist wanted ad for a radiator shroud yielded good results when we went to purchase it and the gentleman opened his garage door to reveal shelves stacked floor-to-ceiling with original Model A parts. Beau and I left there about $300 lighter but with 2 3/4 hoods, a radiator shroud each and a couple other minor pieces. When the seller answered the door wearing his Model A club jacket we knew better than to mention what our plans really involved. :D

[​IMG]

In the last week I've made some big progress as far as the chassis parts collecting goes but I'll post more on that once I've got some pictures to go along with it.

Right now I'm just 'squirreling' away parts waiting to start putting them together. I've got another couple weeks of potentially snowy, frosty weather before I can guiltlessly ask the wife to start parking outside of the garage again so that I can start building. Hurry up Spring!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  16. Beau

Beau

Oh Jay, we are starring at the same moon on those sleepless nights... :) Hahahahahaha

It's has been a ton of fun gathering parts and harvesting information.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  17. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I picked up a set of decent '49-'64 Ford truck rims this week. They looked like a matched set and all seemed to be in good shape.

[​IMG]

The wheels have a 15" diameter but have the look of the earlier Ford 16" wheels. I'd originally planned on using 16" wheels (and may still if I change my mind) but when I looked into the cost of 16" vs. 15" tires and wheels there was a SIGNIFICANT cost savings in going with the 15" option. I also thought that on a truck a tire with a fatter sidewall like I'd be running with 15" wheels would look alright.

I hauled the wheels to the shop to shed the ancient bias-ply 'skins' off of them but not before I noticed this.

[​IMG]

I thought the "WARDS" branded wheel weight was pretty cool. You just don't see that anymore. I wonder how old that thing is? I tried to explain to one of the younger guys at the shop (22 years old) why I thought it was cool- he just asked me who Ward was. I guess I forgot that Montgomery Wards has been out of business since this guy was in grade school.:rolleyes:

Once I had the tires off I decided to spin the bare rims on the balancer to see how straight they looked. I was very relieved to see that they all spun very nice. They looked even better than the set of brand new Wheel Vintiques reproductions I had bought a few years ago for my '39. I was very pleased.

I will have to see about getting them sandblasted or just cleaned up and painted. Should hopefully look nice.

18. Beau

Beau

We had a Wards in Brainerd until about 10 years ago.

The weather is gettin nicer. I can't wait to get to work on your ride.

19. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I had a lot of plans brewing for my project. There were lots of things I wanted to do and lots of parts I needed to get. I thought my best first move was to do something with that trailer I'd picked up.

I pulled the 4 bolts holding the Model T box to the trailer frame and was left with this.

[​IMG]

In this photo you can clearly see the remains of the old Model T the trailer was made from. The front axle, spring and wishbone are all clearly visible and I believe the tongue of the trailer was made out of one of the frame rails. I gotta love how resourceful the former builder was!

I cleaned up the original chassis and primed it. Then I made a basic structure out of it from some old square tubing I had squirreled away in the garage from a previous project.

[​IMG]

Then I painted the framework and made a floor and sides for it.

[​IMG]

I was now ready to start bringing home some big pieces...

20. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Some of the big items I'd planned to haul home with the trailer were some early F1 parts.

A few weeks earlier I'd talked to my friend, Ted about some parts I was in the market for. After telling him about what I was looking for we decided that it might be in both of our best interests to try to find an old complete F1 truck and split it up and part it out. To be fair, Ted was really doing the majority of the work from finding, getting and parting it out. I basically just gave him a list of what I was interested in and after one failed road trip to south Dakota he ended up coming home with this.

[​IMG]

My basic shopping list included front spindles and brakes, crossmember with pedals, front shock mounts and steering column, box and wheel.

I should be going down to pick up the parts in another two weeks.

Much thanks to Ted for all of his hard work and help.

21. I like the sedan back on the cab & with the bed with the further back stake pocket you should have room to curve it yo match the cab

22. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I hadn't considered that. I'm going to have to give that some thought. I'm not exactly sure how I'd pull that off.

To give myself an idea of how it might look all put together I did a little of the classic, 'Sunday afternoon mock-up'. :D

[​IMG]

I couldn't get the box much closer to the cab because of the dolly I have the cab sitting on but it was still nice to see it somewhat "whole".

I tore it all back down and put it away after a while of looking at it from several different perspectives.

The immediate plan for now is to get cracking on the chassis. I set up the frame on some jack stands and took some measurements. From everything I'd read about using an original 80 year old frame I was a little worried about it being bent or warped. I measured diagonally from both back corners to the opposite front corners and was relieved to find that both measurements were within 1/8" of each other.

I also recently acquired some '35-36 rear wishbones and an original Model A rear spring. For the front I picked up a Model A wishbone that I plan on splitting and I'll be hoping to pick up an original A dropped axle very soon.

We'll see how it all starts coming together...

23. There is a green pick up made from similar parts that I saw at 50s a couple years back. It had curved.bed sides to match the cab. I think it was in last years rust revial coverage also. They look good slid together too in your pic man

24. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

On Sunday I went down to visit my friend that parted out the F1 and picked up this load of 'goodies'.

[​IMG]

If you look closely at the spindle/ hub/ brake assemblies you might notice the axle remnants remaining around the kingpins. The spindles still moved freely but were so seized to the axle that he chose to just saw through the axle and give me the parts that way. I'd never dealt with kingpins before. I brought them to my work and figured I'd give them a go with the press and torch. I'd heard horror stories in the past regarding stubborn kingpin removal but figured using the shop press and torch I'd make quick work out of them. Turns out that was not the case. After about two unsuccessful hours of torching, pressing and air hammering I had managed to only get the first kingpin half out. That was when I decided to just get out the cutoff wheel and sacrifice what was left of the axle. This worked and I had freed the first spindle. Today I tried the second spindle and the kingpin popped out after about 5 minutes of time on the press. Cool.

The current plan is to modify the spindles and re-do the front brakes for use on a dropped original Model A axle. I'll post pictures and details as I go.

25. Fordman75

Fordman75

I was hoping the king pins wouldn't come out too hard with a press and torch.

26. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I didn't even have to heat up the second one. It was a walk-in-the-park compared to the first.

27. Beau

Beau

Are you going to use that turn signal switch? :)

28. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Good eye. I like that switch but I think I have another one in the basement that I pulled out of a '50 Dodge truck a few years ago. I'll check on it. Naturally, you can have it if you like it.:)

29. Fordman75

Fordman75

Well I guess one out of two isn't bad.:D

Jay if you don't have another turn signal assembly, I've got another one. I think my other one is the all chrome one.

Oh sure my post count just had to be 350!

30. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

Jay, 86 those spindles to the swap meet box. You will be way ahead to find a pair of '37 to '48 spindles. Those brakes are an easy add on for these spindles too. Should be a set at the swap meet May 6th at the fair grounds.

Ron