Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A front cross member ideas ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fenders, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Fenders

Fenders

I'm looking for a simple front crossmember for a 30 Ford front end... to weld to a 2X4 frame.

The stock Xmember is bulky, as are most of the repop members -- they also have the radiator mounts etc which I don't need.

Anyone make a simple model A front cross member -- or have photos of a home built design?

Thanks !

2. pitman

pitman

The 4 X 2 tube is laid down as a crossmember, and the grey primer marks the weld joint. You can even tip it to get the 7* caster angle if desired. Circa 1973...home built tradition...

Attached Files:

3. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

welder series inc.

4. banginona40

banginona40

I used a piece of trailer hitch receiver tubing. cut out one section to make a channel. the front spring fits in just right, strong as heck! and a flat top to get a little more in the weeds. also the spring clamps fit perfect.

Attached Files:

5. Fenders

Fenders

Three great ideas -- and that's the kind of simple Xmember I'm looking for.

Found this neat old Welder Series thread -- shows their Xmember and a lot of other products (the links are to pages with old prices, but they show a lot of good info):
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317485

The 4X2 tube and trailer hitch tube should be very economical, too. I'll look into all of these.

Thanks guys !!