Register now to get rid of these ads!

model a front brake options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atotalnincompoop, Jan 11, 2010.

1. i have a stock model a axle and spindle, i would like to upgrade to juice brakes.
    is there a drum brake setup that will be a direct bolt on or easy conversion to the stock spindles?
    if not is there a spindle/brakes that will bolt onto the model a axle?

2. great link, thanks:)

3. i found this tech anrticle about converting 53-56 f100 drum brakes to early ford spindles...
    http://www.droppedaxles.com/TECH_ARTICLES.html#TXTOBJ7D8154FE2B2D21
    by "early ford spindles" do they mean the stock model a spindles? or are they referring to another later version?
    they don't specify, but perhaps one of you will recognize the spindles from the pics.
    thanks

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

What they mean is 37-41 or 42-48 Ford spindles.

The 28-36 spindles have a longer stub axle than the later ones.

5. doctorZ

doctorZ

spindles: you'll probably want to convert to later 1937-1941 round back or 1942-1948 squareback spindles regardless because they're beefier and most all juice brakes bolt right up to them.

backing plates: 1939-1941 brakes are what most people use, but require more tuning than the later 1942-1948 brakes which have only half the adjustment points. they will both have a 1-3/4" shoe. as far as aftermarket drums brakes are concerned, you have a choice between 1940 style bendix backing plates and lincoln style bendix backing plates, which have a 2" shoe instead. the bendix backing plates are great in my opinion and are the most reliable and consistent. i will probably run the lincolns on the front of my car.

hubs/ drums: you will have to change over to the later drums and hubs if you convert to juice brakes. earlier hubs mounted to the inside of the drums while the later ones mounted to the outside. all of the new backing plates use the earlier hubs or new hubs. you can use original drums with new backing plates if you choose, but most people seem to be just buying the new drums. the original drums were stamped while the new ones are cast. while it is easy to swedge the hubs to stamped drums, it is nearly impossible to swedge them to cast drums without cracking them. if you use original hubs with new drums you will have to change the studs to 1940 no-swedge style studs and the drum will be able to slip on and off.

i hope that helps!
    -drZ