Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects model a floor board undercoating

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by coody, Jan 18, 2018.

1. coody

coody

body is off for the last time. Aligning aprons, fenders ect. now. would you undercoat bottom or seam seal bottom also or both? body will be permanently mounted for good. been a long time coming. wish I would have put this build on this site at the start. don't know if could mid way? any thoughts?

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy and CoolYourJets like this.
  2. 392

I did spray on bed liner under side and turned out great, I did seam sealer first but you could do after. I forget what brand but it came with gun and cost around 250 it turned out great and depending on texture is just determined distance away from surface. I've also heard of doing inside even though I didn't.

3. 1940Coupe

1940Coupe

60AD23F7-FE0D-4F56-BCBA-754B1BDCFABE.jpeg B8A8F62C-1A52-483F-8665-0D7C9E81EF31.jpeg A696CD6B-6CDE-4817-B35C-511D208727AA.jpeg 43E78BFE-BA32-4656-B988-7E98E0CD769B.jpeg 90A0ED87-14AB-416B-BFDD-8747E4DD0BAC.jpeg On my 40 Coupe I sprayed the underside with a couple of coats of Zinc primer. Then etch primer. A couple of coats of stone chip paint followed by a couple of coats of gloss black.
    All seam sealed as well

mgtstumpy and CoolYourJets like this.
  4. indyjps

indyjps

Check out UPOL. They offer a spray bedliner you can control texture with air pressure when shooting, or gravitex which is smoother.

If thats not your thing, seam sealer and a good coat of paint will take care of it.

5. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To your other question, it's fine to start a thread mid-build. Lot's of guys do this, including myself. You start with a series of catch-up posts ("Let me show you how I got where I am") and then continue updating the thread as you progess. As long as you have lots of pictures, the thread should be well received.

Here is an example: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/how-not-to-build-a-hotrod-my-33-plymouth.1092102/

(Incidentally, this particular example is rapidly turning into an all-time great. Don't be intimidated. We can't all be Johnny Sparkle.)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    harpo1313 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  6. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

I used a product called Heatshield R20, similar to another product called Koolcoat. Essentially, they are (micro balloon) additives for latex paint. IOW you buy the "micro balloons" and add it to a good house paint. I did the inside and underside of my model A extended cab pickup. It really cut down on the noise and heat transfer to the inside of the vehicle. Waaay cheaper than lizard skin.

7. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I used butyl seam sealer on the seams, sprayed black epoxy primer on the bottom and dynamat-ish sound deadener inside. Hope I never have to fix anything......

8. coody

coody

We are all on the same page that it needs to be done. I will seam seal the bottom & scuff up the bottom and roll on bed liner material. the mattress is a great ideal. 1940 coupe!! was scratching my head on how to get under it!

9. coody

coody

thanks clark! I do have a lot of pics. you got you a nice find speedster!! going to follow you on your build!

larry k and ClarkH like this.
  10. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

I flipped the coudan on its side cushioned by a bunch of trash bags filled with wadded up packing paper. If no old mattress available this worked great for me at little cost.

11. rosstom

rosstom

I used spray-on bedliner also. I went to this route because it helps cover minor imperfections.

coody likes this.
  12. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Bedliner as others have already stated.

13. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

I used POR15 scratched that coated with Gravitex then seam sealed withTIGER SEAL.Gravitex and Tigerseal are both by Upol I think .two types of undersealer available one suitable for spraying over and the other is the finished job

coody likes this.
  14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't wanna be the negative energy here, but I don't much care for the bedliner gig. I think over time it traps enough road grime to never come clean again. Exposed bedliner will go grey and tired, just ask the bed of my 05 dually, yuk. Tough but still yuk. I've always been a fan of 3M "Body Shutz" which is essentially a spray on air dry rubber coating. It washes to new with simple soap and water, has sound and insulating quality, designed for the task. Your wood floors only need a thin layer of jute under the mat or carpet. I know there's a massive cheerleading squad for the bedliner route, just not for me. Didn't make the cheerleader squad on that score.

15. coody

coody

Hey is body shutz in spray cans or quarts cans to roll on?

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Body Shutz, and similar productsby Norton and SEM are applied with a spray gun that screws onto the qt can. The guns range from $20-$75. Or at least they used to.
    [​IMG]