Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How not to build a hotrod - My '33 Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Sparkle, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

So, I haven't posted a build thread on the HAMB in nearly a decade. I kinda miss having actual conversations about a project, and it's cold outside and I'm looking for motivation. So here I am. Hi.

I'm not kidding about this being a tutorial on what not to do. This car is a saga of bad decisions. I've been messing with this stupid car for about 5 years now, and it's still got another year or so of work left to do, I'm sure. I'll start from the beginning and make several posts showing my "progress."

Step 1: Break up with your girlfriend.

Yes. That's right. This will make you bummed out. Then you'll talk to a buddy that has a Plymouth coupe body. You always wanted a coupe. There's a hole in your heart, and you need to cram something in there, regardless of condition and wisdom. You should shove the world's rustiest and gunshot Plymouth in there. Isn't that better? Bonus points if it's an old dirt tracker that was torched in weird places and it's been rolled.

2. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Step 2: Cut your new project into little pieces.
    Brace nothing. That will only slow you down. Make sure you only really use the remnants of the quarter panels once you're done cutting.

Step 3: Make new subrails.
    Don't worry, you'll cut these out later and throw most of it away. I tacked together the tattered remains of the subframe to get some rough measurements. It's important to just fake it till you make it. It's never going to be stock again anyway, you can't screw it up too bad.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  3. glrbird

glrbird

No picturesshowing

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. williebill

williebill

This thread is really promising so far.
    I think I can relate.
    Continue, please.

5. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Step 4: Buy '32 frame rails. Cut them immediately.
    Text your ex-girlfriend to help you with the math. She'll make a little drawing showing the angle needed. Spend some time drinking and watching Carl Sagan's Cosmos.

Step 5: Place the body onto the subrails.
    You'll noticed I cut the framerails before I figured out the body. That's intentional. You must make sure you ruin the most expensive thing you've bought for the project before you proceed to mock anything up.
    I think I cut about a foot off the bottom before I found decent metal to weld to. The cowl is from a truck body I got in the original deal.

winr, Gasser 57, Okie Pete and 13 others like this.
  6. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Apparently this is also a tutorial on how not to post a thread. I'm using the embed feature for the first time for pics. I didn't have the album set for public view, I'm guess that's my problem since I can see it. Does it work now?

slv63, chryslerfan55 and AZbent like this.
  7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Works great for me. You know, this could be a very important educational thread, seriously.

raven likes this.
  8. RMONTY

RMONTY

It's working for me now. Brilliant thread! I only see 1 mistake so far. That was texting the ex-girlfriend for anything other than a booty-call....providing it hadn't been tampered with.

vtx1800, moparob, OahuEli and 5 others like this.
  9. trollst

trollst

I got pics, you got interest, don't stop now.

10. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I must need better glasses, I can’t see the pics

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

39 Aaron NZ, cptmoney and 31hotrodguy like this.
  11. :) ( :D:D !!! )

Edit to insert lots of LOL's, I love this thread.

12. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Step 6: Measure everything about 87 times. Remember that it was rolled. Measure 96 more times.
    Also, make sure you have no surfaces that can be easily measured from. You'll have to devise new methods of measuring, and also invent new curse words. Bonus points if the curse word has 4 syllables. Seriously though, I used some 1x1 steel and some cheap turnbuckles from the hardware store to get it into shape. The turnbuckles make it easy to tweak it as you move everything else.

Step 7: That cowl you've spent all that time cleaning up and welding to the subrails? Cut it back off.
    Find a '34 four-door sedan body. The cowl and doors will fit with a bit of work. The sedan body is a couple inches taller, but you're gonna chop it up anyway.

brEad, Gasser 57, 52Muntz and 12 others like this.
  13. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Step 8: Chop the doors first.
    Just drink a little bit and cut up those doors. Just cut till it looks cool. Later, when people ask you how much you chopped it, give them a blank stare and shrug. I have no idea how much it's chopped. Pretty sure I made a wedge chop too. Not like there was a roof to base anything off of. Make a template of the window opening and you can make the other door match easily enough.

Step 9: Stop working on the chop to make wheelwell patches. Throw them away later.
    The wheelwells got torched out when it was a racecar back in the day. Thanks to whoever did that.

14. Rckt98

Rckt98

This is a great thread, well written, very funny.

15. I'm in for this one. Got a little old time HAMB flavor.

6inarow, Russco, Gotgas and 4 others like this.
  16. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Step 10: Chop the back half till it kinda matches.
    The coupe body's top is much shorter than a sedan from the factory. Add that fact with the doors that I chopped up, and you have some guessing to do about how much chop you're going to get. Fake it till you make it. Looks like maybe 2 inches. Whatever. It looks good, I guess.

Step 11: Cut up the rear framerails.
    Why did I just chop the top and then jump over to the framerails before finishing it? No idea. Just going in chronological order according to the pictures. I guess I was just in the mood to do it. In retrospect, I could have made that kickup about 2" less. I was planning on going with bigger rear wheels at the time.

HotRod33, brEad, Gasser 57 and 12 others like this.
  17. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Rule # 1: Engage cranium before operating the mitts :)
    Tech hint: a Pontiac 421 will cure most ills.

18. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

keep it going johnny !

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Step 12: Try to fill in the gaping holes left in the roof. Cut most of it back out a couple years later.

Step 13: Reshape the rear window openings.
    You're smarter than all those Plymouth designers that made a beautiful coupe in the first place. You got this. Cut the foor-door donor into 12 pieces and weld it all together. Hit things with hammers.

20. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

I can relate ,keep going and keep track of yer fingers .

21. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Step 14: Buy a house. Pull up carpet that smells like cats and old people.
    Buying a house is dumb.

Step 15: Do chassis things.
    This thread is getting bloated already. Look at a post by Brian Bass if you want to see proper chassis work. My stuff is OK at best. I can do more posts on the frame later if people are actually interested. I'm tired of uploading pictures.

brEad, 62hotcat, Okie Pete and 10 others like this.
  22. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

Awesome build! Thanks for the post.looking forward to see more.

23. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Love it and I can relate.
    Best thread of the year.

Chucky and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. skipstitch

skipstitch

This is awesome! Neat project, great pix... and a superb writing!

25. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Step 16: Build a '59 Rambler real quick.
    Sure, you're making good progress now that the house doesn't smell like old people, but you want to drive something. I mean, how long can a quick engine swap take?

Step 17: Build a whole rear suspension and air ride for that stupid Rambler. And replace most of the floor.
    Did you know that a Rambler Classic has both a torque tube rearend and its a unibody? Surprised me too. Only took me a year to get it all done...

26. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

We're only 6 days into the year so far. Pretty sure the bar is pretty low at this point. Haha.

27. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Step 18: Make engine mounts for SBC. Remove SBC for different brand engine later. Put mounts on a shelf.
    It may shock some to hear it, but I can be indecisive at times.

Step 19: Cut the front of your car off. Hit more things with hammers.
    The distributor wasn't clearing. Might as well cut the car apart. I didn't like how the cowl sloped down anyway. I think I took 3 " out of it?

aussie57wag, brEad, OahuEli and 7 others like this.
  28. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Step 20: When in doubt, throw '32 Ford stuff at it.
    The bottom of a Plymouth is flat. I like the curved rocker of the '32 Ford. So, I used '32 3W rockers, 5W quarter patch panels, and 3W cowl panels. I had to make the front part of the cowl. Obviously, I'm cutting the front part back off at some point, since that's what I do. I didn't get the curve at the front quite right.

29. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Step 21: Buy $400 '34 Ford wheelwells. Ruin them.
    I ended up cutting them into little pieces. I ran the body line through the bead roller to make the bead bigger to match the '32 Ford body line, and used the T-dolly to round the edges out a bit. Also had to eliminate the whole crow's foot part because it didn't fit.

brEad, dwollam, Austin kays and 11 others like this.