Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lurker from Texas

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by travalav, Feb 12, 2020.

1. travalav

travalav

Hey yall, I am 23 and from Texas. I have been lurking on the HAMB since I was probably 13. I admire all that yall do and have had an appreciation for older cars since I was young(er). I will be graduating from law school in a couple of years and will finally have money to put toward this interest and I just wanted to start meeting people in the area and possibly getting some more hands on experience instead of just staring at all yalls builds on the computer. Thanks for reading, feel free to message me if you are in the DFW area and/or wouldn't mind somebody picking your brain.

2. welcome.............mosey on over to the Goodguys show (yep, it's next month already) next month. Lots of guys from dfw area will be there. Got a project going? You're more apt to get some "help" responses from guys who are into similar builds/styles. I'm from an area in Texas where guys laugh when they hear Dallas folks saying they live in North Texas. I don't think you'll have any problems finding some mentors........we're always bitchin' about not enough young guys interested in our hobby. Only one bit of advise, and I wish I could remember who it was I am quoting: "I never learned anything while I was talking"
    Rich

Big AL Neenyo likes this.
  3. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Welcome from Colorado

Big AL Neenyo and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Josh1226

Josh1226

Welcome! New here myself. Live in the DFW area. Building 30 model A coupe.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi & welcome. A few years ago I was trying to find some car shows to take my 46 Chevy coupe to. I did a Google search for Texas car shows and there were many. Perhaps you could Google for car clubs or hot rod clubs hot rod shops, etc in the DFW area? I know there is a Nor Tex Inliners group (inline 4, 5 or 8 cyl engines, no V's) that meets at Outlaws BBQ at 11 am on the first Sunday each month in Grand Prairie. Maybe others in the area can chime in with more groups. Things such as the club I belong to in Victoria meets for coffee every day at 8AM and 5 PM at Rmasey's Restaurant and at 5PM on Sundays at IHOP. This is addition to monthly meetings and events. The coffee group usually has from 4 to 8 attend. We also have a Domino group every other Wensday evening. This is all from just one of the clubs. This stuff is out there, you just got to find it. Jimmie

6. travalav

travalav

A 30 model a coupe build on the top of my list. What is your general vision for it?

Josh1226 likes this.
  7. travalav

travalav

I will be there. Thanks for the recommendation. Its too bad that guys from Amarillo have never heard of the term "panhandle". Also where in the University of North Texas located again?

8. Josh1226

Josh1226

I’m trying to do a traditional hiboy style. I have a pinched 32 style frame it will sit on, Ford flathead motor, 36 ford dash and gauges, 39 banjo steering wheel and column, 1940 banjo rear end. Have a set of 40 steel wheels and a set of 35 wire wheel. Trying to hunt down brakes now to get the roller and stance the way I want.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. 57kustomwagon

57kustomwagon

Hello from D.F.W. I'm in the keller/haslet area.

10. Big AL Neenyo

Big AL Neenyo

Welcome, it's good to see young people loving the old vehicles, I hope it catches on. My brother lives in Dallas.

11. RMONTY

RMONTY

Hey there travalav....I am in the D/FW area as well. Working on a fairly large project and have been for awhile, but it's always good to find those in the area that have the same interests. Give me a shout if you are ever up near McKinney, stop by and check out my cluster I call a 1950 Chevy Sedan Delivery....here is my build thread if you are interested.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1950-chopped-chevy-sedan-delivery.1005321/

12. Welcome from San Antonio.Glad you are here.

13. jmkporsche

jmkporsche

Welcome. Glad to see younger people with the interest in traditional hot rods! I’m not in Texas, but I certainly look forward to seeing your future projects.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. A BIG Texas welcome from an old fart in Lubbock. You have chosen an awesome hobby.

1 more car I promise, Rex Winter
    Dry n windy Lubbock TX