Register now to get rid of these ads!

keeping a raw steel body rustfree?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BLACKPRIMERFAN, Nov 8, 2013.

1. BLACKPRIMERFAN

BLACKPRIMERFAN
    from OH/MI LINE

I scraped up every penny I had to buy a brookville body, and its too pretty to cover with paint... could I just spray it with clear coat to preserve the raw steel look? Would a clear powder coat hold up better?

Thanks,

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

A fellow over here appears to have clear coated his T roadster. Over time it appears to be tarnished a tad. There's also a shoebox Ford down south interstate in Mexico (Victoria) that has done his car similarly. Either that or they wipe if regularly with lanolin.

3. I think most guys use Gibbs,,I know paint will help keep it rust free!:D HRP

4. PushnFords

PushnFords

5. Had an A-Bone chassis powdercoated clear for a customer about 10 years ago.
    Saw it 3 years ago and still looked good after 25000 miles on the car

6. BarryA

BarryA

Oil would be your best bet if it is temporary, better be sure you have a way of getting it properly clean before paint though! Unless you like 'washing' your car with oil and scotchbrite every week or two you may change your mind before very long....

I recently completed a furniture project using clear powder coat - grind with 40grit discs for some bite immediately before coating and make sure no-one touches it with bare hands (Sample piece was only coated after a few days and has three or four rusty fingerprints under the clear:eek:).
    Even with taking my powder coating guy says it won't hold up outdoors.

Sprayed some single stage clear on my roadster before taking it to SpeedweekSA - there is already rust forming even with careful prep. Luckily the single stage will come off easy enough when I am ready for paint.

7. What the hell is single stage clear ?

8. jazz1

jazz1

wouldn't be concerned about rust,,they build new ones everyday..primer goes over bare metal,,nothing else

9. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

Yeppers.... Gibbs is da bomb... WTF, Did I really post that? I'm lit, deal with it :D http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/

10. 63dan63

63dan63

paint it ...

Attached Files:

11. Terraizer

Terraizer

Squeegs Hot Rod Connection has a Epoxy Clear that works well over Bare steel and comes in either satin or Gloss.

12. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383966203.174208.jpg

Gibbs I love it! This is my 3rd year in bare metal in Ohio. I've even been caught in the rain a few times. And you're supposed to be able to paint over it no problem if and when the time comes.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used Ospho on my Model A and it has held up well for a year so far. Turned the metal to a iron/dark metal color and has been driven 60 miles a day including in the rain.

Some people don't like it because it doesn't jive with some paint systems so if you are going to paint it later check the manufacturer info first though.
    I have painted over it after sanding back with 180 and it has held up well with no issues.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. BarryA

BarryA

Sorry, typo - straight clear (not 2K), its called Duco over here...

15. BLACKPRIMERFAN

BLACKPRIMERFAN
    from OH/MI LINE

Im going to order some Gibbs and if I have money left over when my roadsters together, maybe I paint it then?