Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jeep T5 trans in the torquetube

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stovebolt, Apr 8, 2008.

1. nexxussian

nexxussian

Looks nice.

Bloddyjack, is that the Hurst shifter?

2. lugnutz9032

lugnutz9032
    from Palatka,Fl

I think I've found salvation.Been thinkin' of dropping a 331 caddy/hydramatic in my '27T but concearned the '40 banjo wouldn't hold up.Now thinking about 2.0 pinto banger and my "A" rearend.I know T5's were used behind this engine so S-10 tranny should interchange?:confused:Right?Otherwise I'm looking at an opendrive conversion for '40 rear and custom drive shaft($500+,$600+):eek:and a 750 lb engine/tranny combo.My "A" rear is complete plus I can use juice brakes from '40.This adaptor ROCKS!!!Lookin' forward to ordering.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  3. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Yeah its an old original with only 3 gears marked on the knob.
    The cool thing is that Hurst make a quick shift for the T5 it was only about 70 bucks on e-bay and the old handle fits it :)

4. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

CDO - does this mean they're ready to ship? Pricing??

5. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Mine arrived great work Dan

[​IMG]

6. doctorZ

doctorZ

who makes the quick shift kit? i wanted to put a swan neck on mine, but since it normally has a long throw on a short handle, i am worried a long handle will just get ridiculous.
    -drZ

7. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

8. nexxussian

nexxussian

Supposedly Hurst has a new one, billet 'ultra short' shifter ma whatzit. I haven't found one to fondle yet. I think it's primarily marketed to the mini truck crowd (ie longer shift sticks)

Doctor Z, I had the same concern as most of the 'short throw' T5 shifters I came across included a 2" handle. WTF:confused:

9. nexxussian

nexxussian

Bloodyjack, that looks beautifull, you lucky guy.

Is that some kind of lock washer on the top bolt that's 'forward' of the adapter?

10. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Hey guys do you think I could mod. the crossmember with my body still on the car? I know it would be better to take the body off but I dont wont to open a can of worms this time of the year and I have to put a new banger engine in so I was thinks 5 speed at the same time.
    thanks Bill

11. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Sure it could be done... It's probably not the best though...
    Any time you cut on a crossmember you run the risk of tweeking the frame. And if the frame tweeks, the body is going to get all out of wack anyway, so???

The body gets it's support from the frame so who knows what kind of pressure it's exerting. Plus when you have it on jack stands, the added weight of the body exerts force on the frame rails too...
    If you start cutting on the center crossmember there's a chance that you weaken it just enough for the body to pull it all out of wack...
    Now you're facing realigning the doors, fenders, etc anyway...
    Same can o worms...

If you do it. Tack as many temp crossbraces on it as possible on the bottom of the frame. Triangulate the hell out of it... And if you can still get to the center member... :D You're golden.

Take your time and see how it reacts to each cut... If you see any spring-back, stop...

You should be fine as long as you think it out a bit first.

12. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

didnt think of the body. I was going to brace the frame I just dont know how much has to be cut?
    thanks Bill

13. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Yeah... Bracing is key...

In most hot rod frames, the center k-member/x-member etc is what provides the triangulation for the chassis... And the center part that the Trans goes through/over is the 'key-stone' for the whole thing. So even though it's ancient technology and chances are the frame wasn't 100% true from the factory, it's still a good idea to keep all that stuff in mind when you're cutting on it.

Good luck!

14. kirby1374

kirby1374

I read the whole post and I think I'm hearing all this correct but I need to have confirmation. I am working on a 30 model A banger original rear.

1. I need to find a T5 from a 4x4 s10.
    2. I buy this kit from CDO (looks super BTW!!!)
    3. shorten my TT
    4. What clutch and fly wheel????

I am making a shopping list:D

oh, and will I have shifter issues?

so I'm looking at about $1000?

15. nexxussian

nexxussian

Buy a Hurst or other reputable branded 'short' shifter with the stop bolts.

1 it makes it much nicer to shift.

2 by the time you get a stick long enough for an A bone (even a releatively short one) it becomes rediculously easy to bend the shift forks (don't ask :( ).

If you were referring to shifter placement, the S-10 is the generally more desireable shifter location (closer to where the stick would have been on the orriginal 3 speed in your A).

16. so are these 4x4 boxes much longer than the 3spd?

and could i put the output on a ford box?

17. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Which 3 speed?
    What output and on what box?

If you are asking if the S-10 4x4 tail shaft can go onto a Ford T-5 front half, then the answer is maybe. But I haven't seen it done.

18. nexxussian

nexxussian

The 4X4 box is desireable becaus the HAMB's own Crazydaddyo has sussed an adapter to hook the torque tube where the T case would have gone.

If you are doing an open drive (no torque tube) rear then a 2WD trans is the way to go (got a '92 Mustang T-5 in my '31 A :D).

The torque tube thread is here:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256226&highlight=torque+tube

FWIW the tailshaft swap thread is here.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280529

19. sorry it was late and i was fuzzy. so lett me try this:

1 how much longer is the 4x4 t5 than a early ford three speed?

2 can the 4x4 tailshaft section be mated to a ford/mustang t5?

i had a thought to put a 302/t5 in to a 48 tudor and leave the torque tube and banjo if the trans doesnt push the motor to far forward. may leave the flathead but would still like to put the t5 in the midle

20. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

1 - The Jeep 4x4 T5 isn't a whole bunch longer - approx 4-1/2" or less (don't have any here to measure, but that's what I remember). The S10 4x4 T5 is significantly longer (no measurements, but a guess would be close to 10")

2 - Normally, no. The Jeep & S10 are NWC and most Mustangs are WC. Only the very early Mustangs were NWC (and they're fairly undesirable - and beat up when you find 'em).

21. thanks ernie i mat just have to go open then

22. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Yes its longer see picture of my build

[​IMG]

23. jonnyzepp

jonnyzepp

Has anyone tried this conversion with a later model Ford? I'd be interested in finding out. From what I see in the pictures it looks like the rear of a 4x4 T5 transmission is rather large and probably wouldn't fit through the center section of a 35-40 frame. I'd love to keep the torque tube on my 37 Ford with a T5 trans.

24. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

If it helps, the over all width at it's widest, the adapter is @ 8 1/8"

If you need more measurement, let me know.

25. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I'm finally putting my t-5 in my model a.....I have a AA bell housing....its about 2 inches shorter than a regular model a ....my question is how much does this affect the imput shaft on the transmission? It seems to me that it might not be the best way to go as my t-5 doesent want to go all the way in...the disk is on imput shaft ok ...any one have any suggestions or measurements..Thanks

26. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I have some kits for the S-10 4x4 trans available now. P.M. me for details.

27. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Bump. Kits available now for Model A and V-8 torque tubes.

28. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

How 'bout the Jeep 4x4 conversion? ;)

29. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Ernie,
    I haven't solved the trans yoke issue for that yet.
    Maybe some day.