Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***January 2021 Banger Meet Thread - Good Riddance 2020!***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jan 1, 2021.

1. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Mikko,
    DEPENDS....
    When checking/chasing..cleaning the threads, stick a screw driver down hole.... to determine , if ANY have the bottoms missing... and thereby hole goes into WATER jacket !
    If this is the case...a sealant is absolutely needed.
    No break thru= use some non seize on threads. DO NOT fill stud hole, as you might due damage = hydraulic !
    Finger tighten stud to bottom...and no more torque. Then nut can be torqued properly.
    Good luck.

Jet96, barrnone50, poshdbs and 2 others like this.
  2. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Thank you.
    Good tip on checking the holes before installing studs.

3. Good point, this is probably 20 or 30 years old and never fired.
    It was not for shipping, it was holding a plug into dist hole to pressurize the center cam bearing
    Shade tree mechanics 101.....

J

Jet96 and Old Dawg like this.
  4. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey John,
    That is farmer fix.. and not recommended, eh !
    Is this one of estate sold ?
    Well, Mrs. D began making/selling these in about ‘90, as Mr died in ‘89, I believe.
    This is interesting case, as it was “built to run”...way back then you say (30 yrs or so) !
    I suppose there may have been others built out to run back then, but yours is first I’ve known of.
    Every one I’ve run across, including mine, was put on a shelf, till estate sale. A little strange ,eh ?
    The one other that was attempted build( failed) was owned by Arnold Burner...the D pattern maker. As you know, that one had bad casting flaws. Arnold and subsequent owners were unable to ‘fix’ that situation. That blk eventually made its way to you. You were talented enough to figure a solution. Im guessing that one is back with RM ?

Burner picked his own poison, when he required a one off change to pouring design... to suit himself. The last ever poured.
    Total 30 castings (not counting Burners) not much stock, eh.
    I’d bet there are still a few nos blocks... sitting on shelves in sheds. Hope they dont get pitched to trash, like some of my parts most likely were. Who is going to recognize such ?
    I know of maybe dozen owners.
    BTW...regarding
    That wood oil plug ...
    I had a fellow ,a machinist, who was told of that oil problem...well he machined/modified the part that drives the oil pump/dist. Now that mod allows that drive to regulate oil flow.
    The D had a pretty nice oiling scheme, eh.
    NO more need for wooden plug.. ha !

5. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Thanks Good Info..

6. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

BAF3B92F-709B-409C-A7E9-64187AA57A64.jpeg My newest toy- good compression, rolls over smooth. Valves all go up/down. Oil is black but no sludge etc. Stuck a carb on it, blew the cobwebs out of the distributor (literally). Fired right up ready to go!

Tim, burl, barrnone50 and 5 others like this.
  7. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

70FC69AD-81A1-453E-A7A8-BD1360153345.jpeg The box was originally from a coupe conversion...clean up on aisle 5 lol..
    The front bottom is a little rotten but the rest is solid and pretty straight. Is there anything specific to how the box mounts ? Is it the same as a ccpu? It has little angle iron brackets right now. Fun times ahead!

burl, barrnone50 and brjnelson like this.
  8. railcarmover

railcarmover

52274848_10210786744225155_8347733526388408320_n.jpg
    As fine a fella you'd meet,he'd give you the shirt off his back with a smile..rest easy Walt..

9. My condolences. I've heard him mentioned here and there, seemed like a stand up guy.

10. Jiminy

Jiminy

11. railcarmover

railcarmover

He'd drive that roadster on the freeway to the hillclimb,run it as hard as he could,then freeway home..

barrnone50 likes this.
  12. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Hot Rodding at its finest!!

railcarmover likes this.