Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Iron Butterfly Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Boxcar's 1928, Nov 12, 2020.

1. AHotRod

AHotRod

2. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

You know, with some of the odd cut pieces on these cars it’s a wonder how they cranked them out in mass numbers 90 years ago.

The Tudor has a couple of weird cut braces that go in the back and they were tough using just basic tools, nothing nice like you have.

Cliff Ramsdell

3. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Agree, a testament to some great and dedicated Do'ers!

The toughest piece so far was nearly all hand work. I got the majority of my big stuff dirt cheap from a buddy that ran a government reutilization drop off...there called DRMO. saw-$100, BS-$100, jointer-$100....if I had to buy retail or near it... I'd not have them. The majority of my equipment is like that or made myself.

Thanks for the info Cliff! Happy New Year...

4. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Some progress today and half day remaining to do more. While still in the kit building phase I decided that I needed to do some mock-up to ensure things were landing in the right place. As I'm referencing off some ratty originals anything is possible and I needed some additional insight on the dimensions of a piece I was working on....figured adding some body panels could help.

On area of concern was the visors nailing tabs alignment with the sail panels. After a long web review I've decided that during manufacture those two had very little gap between them hence the offset tabs that are the two ends of the pieces....so I've arranged my layout to eventually achieve minimal gap. Would like to know if this checks with the community. Next area of concern was that a portion of the rear lateral member nailing holes do not have wood underneath them...there's about 1/4 to add to the back to catch it properly so I suspect I'll just add it. I suspect my early issue mentioned played into this but believe ill be OK. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

5. Holtet

Holtet

Nice work, i am going to do the same with mine 30 sport coupe.

Sent from my SM-G986B using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  6. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Sounds good, I'm excited to see mine take to the transformation.

Small woodkit pieces to wrap up. Got the side window pieces roughed out...now I have to finger joint the ends.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, Stogy, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  7. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

I have to admit I'm fighting back the feeling of being a little overwhelmed today with the project. The final few wood kit parts are awaiting delivery of a specialized router bit (to match an original OEM detail). I did some additional wheeling on the drivers roof panel and now I'm scratching my head.
    A QUESTION FOR YOU BUILDERS....
    Given my plans are to channel the car over the frame...and being without a subrail (minus some shabby threshold pieces) Should I build up/fit the body on a subrail assembly first, then trim back to slip over the chassis? I ask because this is a pretty rough car overall and I keep thinking a subrail will keep me from doing something stupid during the grafting of the coupe top.
    Another mental struggle I'm having is the cool vs practical considerations. While I love the idea of a 2-2 1/2in chop and channel....im about 6'.1" and have some neck issues that can be limiting at times....wondering if the two mods will work for me. Or if I should just make my life easier and drop one or the other. I've also thought a 32 frame may be a good call (cause I like em) and I can do the light chop. BUT....(always one) the 32 frame is a $$ bump that this build may not warrant based on the condition of everything I'm working with.....started as a budget build. Lol
    Thoughts??

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  8. goldmountain

goldmountain

A couple of build threads you should check out-" the '32 nobody wanted" and "28 model A Coupe build- first time". There are a lot of the things you are doing featured there. As far as the deuce frame being expensive, reyn built his from scratch. I did mine from 2x6 rectangular tube with front and rear crossmembers and frame horns from a Model A. Mine doesn't have the characteristic deuce reveal, but I can live with that. IMG_1461.JPG

9. boss600

boss600
    from speedway

Hi i saw that you some Wilson backing plates im needing them i sent wilson money for a set and he sent a steel set not finned im Nick 317-371-0378

10. boss600

boss600
    from speedway

goldmountain i saw you had a set of Wilson finned backing plates im doing a quick change rear and i would to buy them thanks 317-371-0378

11. goldmountain

goldmountain

boss600, time to get your eyes checked. I'm way too poor to afford Wilson backing plates.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  12. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

WOW....AWESOME JOB!!! I'll look to see if you have a thread on your frame. Very interesting, thanks... and will look at those threads

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  13. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Small successes here.... cut out the old n nasty filler tube delete and replaced. Happy with the overall result. A compound curve runs along the top.....got a headstart on the patch from a salvaged 35 Slantback Studebaker rear panel (has a compound curve along its centerline). Just a small tweak was nessary to get the patch to lie flat from the start. Stitched it in with a mig. Had a small bulge down in the lower right....torched and quenched it, spoon n dollies, and hammer n shot bag to lay it down. Happy....moving on.

Attached Files:

Deuces, brEad, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  14. Having read the title of the thread I have to wonder if Ina Gadda Da Vida isn’t playing on your shop radio.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and Boxcar's 1928 like this.
  15. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

On occasion....yesser.

Hey all....iffin you don't have one of these yet.....your missing out. Debut of this in my shop.... removing some frozen 80yr old hinge bolts from the IBC A piller. Did use penetrating fluid in addition.... fine job!! #notsponsered

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    chryslerfan55, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  16. Deuces

Deuces

Had to get my weekend fix one more time....:cool::confused:;)

17. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Lower cowl patch panel swap. Made the patch panel myself with the help of my bead roller and brake. Cleaned up the substructure behind the patch as I gained access to it. Painted everything I wouldn't be able to get to again after the new panel is welded in. A few pinholes and dollie work is all that is remaining....later will level it up and finish.

Attached Files:

18. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Puttering in the shop today on the firewall. While this one is on the way out... I have another in far better shape....now to flip or not to flip.....that is my question. Or try something more a sporty like building one. I'll be running a 8ba. Love to hear opinions on the topic. I'm not sure I'll need the additional space that one gets from reversing the firewall but the opportunity for the consideration is now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  19. goldmountain

goldmountain

I've never liked the look of a reversed firewall; but it is your car and only your opinion counts.

Boxcar's 1928 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Puttering in the shop today....been awhile! Looking for some info regarding how the 30-31 visor aligns with the joining panels. I'm guessing the notches are to somewhat interlace.

What are the factory gaps here between the notches?

I believe I have a near perfect visor...no damage. Using it as a guide up along side of the side panels suggests I'm about 1in out...thoughts?

Attached Files:

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  21. @SamIyam did the best tech ever for fabricated frame rails.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/building-a-32-style-frame-for-the-rafter-project.305273/

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looks like a nice visor, but you need to attach it to the A pillar, it is the only firm place to start. Once in place you can fit the over the door tin, you do have the top wood kit I assume. :) Ford took the time to lead in the visors on some body styles.

Bob

loudbang and Boxcar's 1928 like this.
  23. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Ol Henry and his hidden tack welds...
    Now to reestablish another
    20 mins later....broke the other side visor screw.. 100% this father's day...lucky me

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    chryslerfan55, loudbang and The37Kid like this.
  24. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Fighting this door repair and trying not to get too deep in the water. My done piece is in bad shape and not square. Fixing that forces me to open up the whole damn thing....straighten.....replace pieced...Weld up....and so on. Anybody got a scrap from a coupster build???

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good luck! I've been looking for Tudor/Pickup door tops for two years, hope there are more Coupe tops out there. Bob

loudbang likes this.
  26. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Yesser....I continue on. In the deep waters now.

Attached Files:

loudbang and brEad like this.
  27. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Roughing out the beginning of a replacement door top. This is a first attempt and I've only got the roll in place....there will be a step above.... I'm not sure how this will end up but I'm trying. I'm expecting a fair amount of hand work to dial it in. He'll, at this point it's anyone's guess. Eventually I'll need to make some relief cuts to the bottom to roll the metal around but will keep it flat for now till I get the step added.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  28. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Got a little more into this 'test pieces tonight. Jury's still out on weather it'll turn out. I got to roll that bottom under more to get it to match better from the outside. Then I got to go after the corners and do the same.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  29. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

A small update... got one side looking pretty close but have to redo the other.... banged the offending side out and will bead roll that area tomorrow. Slowly getting to think I may be able to something with this piece.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, brEad and loudbang like this.
  30. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Got the initial shape in the a pillar side.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, brEad and loudbang like this.