"Rafter Project" aka Bonneville Car... aka Bomb Factory Hauler... aka The "T"... I wanted a frame with character. More often than not, when race cars get built... and the sticks of square and round tubing start flying... little thought is given to the aesthetics of the actual rails. I struggled at first... "should I build a simple rectangular tube frame, and hide it with a belly pan?" or "should I built a frame with a little charcter and put it out there for all to see?" I decided on the latter. I have a repop '32 frame... but after a quick tape measurin'... I knew it wouldn't work. What is it about the '32 frame that looks so damn good? For me, it's that reveal... you know, the one that the original '32 running board and fenders followed? That, and they taper really nicely toward the front, with the top edge of the frame going upwards from the cowl to the radiator shell kinda like a Bleed Sweep but not so drastic. When TCI started re-popping the '32 frames back 25+ years ago... the lower edge was sharp, and they just looked out of place. American Stamping rails and others look right, and are made out of new steel... The problem is, the T body I am using for our bonneville car is straight at the bottom so the frame rails would need to be straightened... and then taper in towards the grille shell. Do I buy a pair of blank rails, flatten them out, then box them in? Seems like a lot of work. So after some more measuring of my '32 chassis... I figured that some 2 x 6" .120 wall would have enough meat that I could whittle away a frame that had the same side profile as a '32 chassis... with that reveal. I also figured it would be straight to match the T body, and strong enough for our Bonneville car. So I bought a 20' stick of 2" x 6" .120 wall. Then flthd31's post came along... man was it timely! Here's his post in case you haven't seen it: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299105 It was inspiring for sure... but it seems like a hell of a lot of work for what I wanted to achieve. So here's how I did it: Make a template of my '32 frame... 1/4" masonite worked fine for this: Made a pie cut and welded it back together to get the up-sweep. You can see it here: Cut the bottom part of the tube away to it could be welded back after I take a pie cut for the bottom edge: Cut the pie out and the lower edge of the front frame horn... I used my template as a guide for my plasma cut: Clamp and weld it back together... I used a screwdriver to move the tube to match the edge piece. The side piece has collapsed about 1/8" when I removed the edge. Use "close eyes and tack weld" method... scuse the crappy picture: Finished side profile... I ended up cutting the frame horns off because they didn't end up exactly the same. I will make new ones and attach them later... as I am doing something different up front... What isn't shown is the finsihed welded and smoothed rail... I forgot to take a pic.