Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration <<<< Friday Art Show 2/7/20 >>>>

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57 Corvette ~ Bob, Feb 6, 2020.

1. 57 Corvette ~ Bob

57 Corvette ~ Bob

2. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Snow yesterday. Snow/ice today. Time to pour some more SALT on it! 4B249E18-45F0-45CB-92C6-68AB963494F5.jpeg 6CA6FAD2-CCBE-4801-B454-5AC656CF2252.jpeg C1A3D4A1-E919-4CA2-BBDC-E940B2CD734A.jpeg I’m headin to the desert for a while to thaw out. T.G.I.F.A.S.

SPD/WK/‘11

4. wicarnut

wicarnut

5. Hello all.... I've been too busy to get much non work or commission related work done.
    For now, here is a WIP sketchbook sketch.

"Bone's '34 coupe"

Bones_34_lake_coupe_4web.jpg

camino_Del_Fuego_Mr_Bones_01.jpg

camino_Del_Fuego_Mr_Bones_02.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  6. mark schanfeldt

mark schanfeldt

7. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I always look, sometimes post but haven’t said “thank you” lately for all the creative posts displayed here every Friday.

Thank You!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  8. Just received this a couple days ago from my buddy B-Scott as the artwork for our event shirts this year. Two Missouri cars this year...Rodger Bell’s roadster from St. Louis and Jimmy Spears Nomad from Springfield. Not my artwork, but I still had to share.

0E61AFAB-ED81-459A-9742-7262E3823DE4.jpeg

9. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. New laser cut sign.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-2-7_4-19-19.png First car for our son
    Hello,

Back when our son was getting to be driving age, I taught him how to drive and be aware of his surroundings. We had excellent days of “on the street driving,” after spending some time going over the driver’s position, mirrors, all around views, etc. We had previously gone over the motor and various simple things to watch for and take care of, when he is away someplace from our house.

He learned to be aware as he has been watching me drive for 16 years. We were in the age of, “look at the surroundings and parents”, as there were no electronic games for him. Talking to him and showing him the niceties of driving was important to a little kid and as a teen. Plus, at the time, he could sit on a modified car seat looking forward to see what we could see. That forward-facing lookout was a whole new ballgame for developing eyes and understanding. That was before the federal mandate of rear seating only. The El Camino, my wife’s sporty car, were a snap, but somehow, we could not figure out three seating for the 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery.

After our months of driving all over South OC, he was ready to take the test. We never had an incident where we thought we were in danger. He was a good listener and was aware of my driving techniques. Our two cars were 4 speed stick shift cars. He even learned the “hill start” method I taught him. No electronic line lock for him. His shifts were clean and not a bang in the whole driving hours. Emergencies for a stick shift driver is almost the same as an automatic driver…stop the car first.

Finally, he came up to me to ask if we could get an automatic car so he could take the driver’s behind the wheel test at the DMV in a few months. His mandated driving school used automatic transmission cars and he felt right at home. So, my wife and I knew her 5 speed car was a keeper, so my small stick shift station wagon needed to go in exchange for an automatic station wagon. The months leading up to the DMV appointment, we continued to drive the automatic station wagon after school.

Jnaki

He passed the DMV test with a 100% test and now wanted to drive by himself. So, he drove every day after school and put on approximately 20,000 miles by himself on our family station wagon. He went down to San Diego and north to Los Angeles as well as inland desert areas. Most of his miles were up and down the coast with his friends in the new found freedom. He was in heaven.

Now, the last thing was a car for himself. He had no idea, so, we drove many different cars at the used car dealers. He was comfortable in most of them and of course he wanted a small size car. So, the list got narrower after each test drive. His friends had older cars, but it was those used 1960s-70s cars.
    upload_2020-2-7_4-20-25.png
    We had planned on getting a big sedan, but that was not a teenager’s car. We lived by beach, so a smaller car or station wagon was our first choice. Our idea was when he outgrew the station wagon, dad would then become the owner of the small station wagon. It was small enough to carry 4 people and stuff. It had a small v8 motor that would give enough power to go up and down the hilly areas around our house and schools. If he got tired of it in a year or two, it was a cool enough car to be added to the family transportation group.

Now I had chosen a 1960 Ford Falcon Station Wagon. I was planning on cleaning it up and it would handle well with a few upgrades in the brakes and tires. When I showed him a photo of the one I saw, he wanted to see it first. That meant no thanks, dad. (later he told me that the color was not good and it looked too plain) So, we were driving down a neighborhood street and saw an older Mercury Comet sitting on the side of the road with a for sale sign.

It was a funky car, the color was a light blue, but Moon Discs would make that old lady’s car into a cool looking sedan. Both of those classic 60’s cars were pristine and would only require a tune up and brakes. He actually liked the Mercury Comet two door.
    upload_2020-2-7_4-20-57.png
    THANKS @themoose

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/high-school-hot-rod-1964-design-help.1086037/#post-12308807
    He finally saw a cool looking black, 2 door sedan that was on his list and said that is the one he wanted. So, we found one with 15000 miles and it was from Texas. The girl selling it was an executive with a local big name food company in Irvine, CA and they gave her a new foreign sedan. So, she wanted to sell her old car. Despite the big dents in the hood, (from Texas size hail balls) the car was pristine.

She made monetary differences for a touch up paint and fixing of the hail ball dents. But, my son took the money and kept his "newish" car the way it was and in 8 years, put on 88000 miles through high school and college. With only one ticket for a fix it, window tint. No speeding tickets or accidents in those years of driving. He sold his well-used car to a friend (in need) for $1 as it needed some work at the end and had 100k miles.

“Teach your children well.
    Their father’s hell
    Did slowly go by.
    And feed them on your dreams.
    The one they pick’s the one you’ll know by.”

“Don’t you ever ask them, why?
    If they told you, you would cry.
    So, just look at them and sigh,
    And know they love you.”

CSNY… one of his/our favorite groups.

13. robber

robber

14. guy1unico

guy1unico

15. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This particular artist has a great style ! Incredible subtle attention to all of the little details, excellent control of light and shadows!

16. An Old One from my High School days.:rolleyes: artshow 005 (2).jpg

17. sololobo

sololobo

Holy von smolly, that amazing Packard mill in that hot rod is cool as it gets. Would love to see more of that dandy.

18. sololobo

sololobo

nice show kids, love that 34 coupe Jigger displayed, everyone's submissions are super cool!

19. zeke1270

zeke1270
    from Alberta

From 2010, enamel on canvas. IMG_1138.JPG IMG_0972.JPG

20. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just for you @sololobo. Thanks for asking. Wonder-full Show Folks! E9CDBDBC-4048-444C-870E-892E31535F8F.jpeg 1B338C64-2AC2-4D76-AB72-E596738B650C.jpeg 19293284-299B-43AA-B477-C21850829B00.jpeg
    SPD/WK/‘11

Wild Willy, Vonzemo, Lil32 and 19 others like this.
  21. FIN! "Bone's '34 Dry Lake Coupe"

Bones_34_Lake_Coupe_fin_4web.jpg

22. chriseakin

chriseakin

And now for something completely different....I went to a slab teapot building workshop last weekend just for something to do. Meant to be a hot-rod teapot with trailer for cream and sugar. IMG_0726.JPG

23. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^Fire it up!^^

lucky ink and Stogy like this.
  24. I took the kids to see the new Star Wars movie this week and had to consult the Jedi Journal to prove a little known fact.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  25. robber

robber