Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flat head cad info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lexington, Aug 29, 2011.

1. lexington

lexington

Does anyone know if the 346 cad engine they used in tanks in wwii is the same one used in cars. I have access to one that i am thinking about trying to install in an oldmobile. I dont know if there are provisions for mounts or how the tank engine was confugured compared to a car.thanks for any info you care to share as i know very little about flathead cadillacs

2. lexington

lexington

3. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

http://www.robertsarmory.com/m5.htm

hope this helps

Figure 6 is a view of one of the two Cadillac 346 cubic inch flat head V8 engines as viewed from the rear of the engine compartment. The engine utilized the General Motors Hydramatic transmission making shifting easy, along with reduced training time for new drivers. The engine and transmission were nearly unaltered from the automotive application, which was usually found in the Cadillac LaSalle and other top of the line General Motors civilian vehicles. Since the Ordinance Department had failed to anticipate tank engine development requirements for future tank design, civilian automotive engines, especially those in large supply, were hurriedly adapted for tank usage. The Cadillac engines operated reliably but were underpowered. With one engine not functioning, the vehicle had difficulty operating without disconnecting one of the driveshafts, a time consuming task. The gasoline fueled V8's ran very quietly unlike the noisy radial aircraft engines in previous models.

4. lexington

lexington

Thanks for the info. It sounds like it may work in a car. Anyone else have anymore info they want to share ?

5. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

6. IIRC, there was a bulletin just after the war warning about trying just this - tank engine in a car. Apparently there were more than a few folks who tried, and it seems that it is doomed to fail. According to Cadillac.

YMMV

Cosmo

7. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

There may have been a bulleton, but it's simply not true! There are a LOT of cars, especially overseas, that run tank engines. The accessories are different, but the blocks and internals are the same as the passenger cars- no problem with the switch.

8. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Love my FLATCAD Shirt! You should get one Lex!

9. belyea_david

belyea_david
    from Regina, SK

10. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Haha! Yea, a reverse rotation engine would mess with you!

11. lexington

lexington

Can anyone verify if the engines really turn backwards or was that a gm scare tactic for after the war?

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Can't think of any good reason for a tank engine to run backward. Not sure how the HydroMatic would like that. I remember the little adds in the back of car books back then. "346 cubic inch Cadillac V8 engines. New in crate" I should get an old book and see how much.

13. lexington

lexington

Thanks guys for all the good info, keep it comin can never have too much info thanks again

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I would guess that a Mil Spec Cad V8 would be some what like a Mil Spec GMC 302 in how different from civilian versions. The GMC had shielded ignition and was made to be water proof with a snorkel for the air intake. Also the Mil Spec block had different motor mount bosses cast into it as well as no place for a fuel pump. But I ran Military and civilian blocks interchangeably in my race car. Just a little more fooling around.

15. lexington

lexington

It just so happens that both engines are shown running on utube start up and they both are turning the right direction so I am satified that the reverse rotation deal is a myth designed to discourage engine swaps after the war.

16. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Well, if you decide not to install it, I can always use another one....