Register now to get rid of these ads!

Blown '38 Lasalle Coupe Build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, Dec 26, 2009.

1. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I've had several posts about this car, usually looking for info when I was deciding on what direction to go. I decided to try and incorperate it all into a build thread. I should have taken more pics, but I will try and fill in the blanks as I go.

Here is what I started with, a '38 Lasalle coupe from the California desert.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I didn't take pics, but will get some. I installed a Ford 9" with disc brakes on the rear, and bought a RPM front disc brake conversion, for discs all around. The Master cylinder will be under the drivers floor.

I picked up some stainless nose cone pieces, that are very rare. They were only installed on 101 Sayers Scoville hearses. They just need to be polished.

I picked up some '35 Plymouth gauges, and incorperated them into the dash.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  3. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Last week I dropped the body off to Jeff Meyers (fink'd) for body mods and prep work. He'll be sending pics as the work progresses.

I'll be running a Cadillac flathead, with a '37 Lasalle tranny. Most of my time has been spent on the engine.

Attached Files:

4. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

5. freebird101

freebird101

6. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

Keep it up, not enough LaSalle's are hot rodded.

7. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Thanks guys!

First thing I did was to pick up a custom timing cover and valley plates from fiftyv8. These are sold on keeper's site www.flatcaddy.com.

The timing cover does away with the mechanical fuel pump mount, the fan mount, and the generator mount. It's a great looking piece, and really cleans up the look of the engine. I'll be running an alternator, and electric fan and fuel pump.

Attached Files:

8. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Unique rod in the making! How do you plan to do the suspension?

9. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

great project thats a healthy looking car compared to what we in the northeast work with , hope you keep posting build photos , caddys rock

10. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

glad to see you started a build thread. was the motor from jacksonville any good?

11. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Right now, pretty much stock is planned. I'm okay with the stock front, lowered 2", with electric power steering. I'm using a 605 steering box, with a MR2 pump. Here is a pic of the wiring diagram. The nature of the motor makes it tough to have very many belts running off of it.

The stock rear springs and lowering blocks are what I have in the rear now, I was also going to add modern shocks, not I'm not thrilled about the setup.

I'm open to any good ideas on the rear, SUGGESTIONS?!!

It is, but I don't want to use it. It is a '37 motor, with more of a 'slinger' than a real rear main seal. I want to use a '38 or newer block. Mine is at Enginepro5X's, but has hairline cracks between the cylinders and in a couple of seats. See pics. So if anyone has a good one, I need it!
    The tranny was a real good one with that motor, though!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  12. brocluno

brocluno

Weld the cracks and sleeve the motor?

13. 41 Dave

41 Dave

38Flattie, That is going to be one neat LaSalle ! Will it be kept stock bodied or modified (top chop anyone) ? Lookinf forward to more updates.

41 Dave

14. love those '35 Plymouth gauges...I have a blown 38' Buick that I am not thrilled with the gauges...these would look great

15. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

No chop- I'm 6'3", and need the room. The car is so long, though, that I think it wil work without the chop. Fink'd is doing one piece windows, shaved doors and trunk, and louvered hood. I'm trying to figure out if I want 39 Ford tailights, or if I should have him graft on 49 Caddy fins/ taillights.

Thoughts?

I have an extra, but it is missing some of the gauges. Shouldn't be a problem though, as they really should be sent off and updated to work with the modern 12v system.:D

16. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Well done Buddy, a long time coming but sure worth the wait.
    This is going to be some vehicle when it is finished.
    Especially with your attention to detail.

17. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your motor couldn be in a better place, get Engine Pro to weld that sucker up and sleve it!

18. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Thanks guys.

I'm using an electric water pump,with reverse circulation, so I needed a water pump replacement outlet. I designed one around the 'Medusa' theme. I call the build Medusa, because of the look of the dizzy. More about that later.

Keeper designed one also, and sent it to me. I'll run his, because I like his design of hooking up the hoses better.

Many of the parts that have been designed for these motors are available on keepers' site, www.flatcaddy.com. I keep referring to this site, because others that are building these motors can save a bundle of time and money now that these parts are available.

Attached Files:

19. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I started with Cyclone heads. Wow, Cyclonekevin had them polished, and they were sweet. Sweet heads, and higher compression than stock, so a win/win!

When I decided to go to a blower, I needed lower compression than the Cyclones. I didn't want to enlarge the chamber on the Cyclones, so they are in the land of OZ now.

I had a set of dual plug heads made by Norm Frick. Ford flathead guys will recognise the name.They are a two piece, milled head

Attached Files:

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

just wondering if you have the heater out of this car?..i was wondering if it looked like the one i have or not

21. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Von Rigg Fink, I'm not sure. I forwarded the pic to a friend of mine that knows a little more than me, and I'll let you know.

Ok, I started with a Burrell 2x2 intake, and Dickster27 did the carbs. Probably one of the coolest intakes I've ever owned!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  22. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Then I decided that I had to have a tri-power. I sold the 2x2, and built a tri-power, and had it coated with Cermakrome. It now belongs to a fellow HAMBer,

Attached Files:

23. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Your car is going to be outstanding!
    Whatever you do, don't chop it, it looks great the way it is. I personally like the 39 tail lights better than fins, and the flow of the fenders would look kind of funny with the finned tail lights...............I think.
    I can hardly wait to see the motor come together, you have to be sure and take some movie pictures/audio when you start her up..................!!!
    You will have one of the sweetest cars around and not to mention rare!

IMHO

24. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

You are way too kind, but thank you!:D

This build gets kind of long, because the more I did on the engine, the more radical I decided I wanted it. I'm going to include all of the sidetracks also, because they may be benificial to someone else. Or, maybe they won't!

Before I got the dual plug heads, I decided I did not want to run the stock dizzy, but instead wanted electronic ignition. I built a converted a small cap Chevy HEI, with a remote coil, and a true Chevy HEI.

When I got the dual plug heads, I toyed with the idea of dual dizzys, and even drew up the pattern for the drive box. In the mean time, I located a Nash Twin Eight dizzy, and converted it to fit the Flatcad. Gmcbubba has it now, converting it to electronic ignition.

Attached Files:

25. Weasel

Weasel

I vote for something different - how about '58 or '59 Vette tail lights. I saw some on a 1950 Olds fastback and they looked awesome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi 38FLATTIE. I think you're gonna have a very special car when you get done with 'er! I love '37/'38 Cadillac coupes. Hey, have you been in contact with RilleCustoms (Steve) in Langley B.C. here on the H.A.M.B.? I understand he's heavy into the flathead Cad engines, and makes parts etc. Also a point of possible interest to you...emiliedk (Palle Johanson) in Denmark is building a '32 roadster with a flathead Cad engine. I thought you might find it beneficial or at least interesting to talk with either one of these guys. Good luck with your cool build! - Rick

27. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Weasel, I might have to look into those lights- they are pretty cool!

I last talked to Steve a year ago, and he talked about some exotic intakes for these engines. What parts is he making?

I talked to Palle a couple of days ago. His roadster is being built just south of here, in Denver, by Vaphead. It should be an awesome build!

Here is a thread with lot's of good Flatcad info:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332457

28. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry, FLATTIE...I don't know what parts he's making. We only PMed a couple of times recently, and he mentioned that he's making speed parts. He was curious about this picture I posted on the '40s period correct thread.

[​IMG]

29. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Question....
    Why not a reverse domed pistion to lower the compression? I'm sure Egge or someone else could make these fairly easily.
    Then you could run the lighter aluminum heads.

30. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Glenn, The dual plug heads are aluminum. Norm Frick makes them as a two piece, dual plug, aluminum head. Just not as cool looking as cast, but I dig the dual plug!