Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fire!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Fire!

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Heard about that before Ryan, too bad but lucky of you for sure.
    I keep some in a glass bottle.

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  3. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Linseed oil has a history of doing what happened to you, and I think it has been mentioned here.
    As for fire, I was staring at my shop and thinking, I didn't have to sprinkler it because of my proximity to a fire hydrant,,, but I was also thinking how long would it take for the fire department to show up, hook up and get water to my treasures.
    And the other fire worry with my hot rods is engine fire. I am aware of it with our land speed racing and the fire system we have to have onboard, and as such I think of what I could/should do for them. Pluming a fire system is easy compared to getting a 6 pack of Stromberg's to idle.

4. HOLY CRAP! Glad it wasn't worse, you lucked out! I had no idea linseed oil would self combust!
    Again, HOLY CRAP!>

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Thanks for scaring the hell out of us Ryan.
    The good Lord gave you a gift.
    Glad to hear it was just your feelings that was damaged.
    I'd suggest a security and fire system that will alert your phone. They are fairly cheap.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Great story! I always put any rags with any solvent in an air tight metal container. Fire needs oxygen to burn. Not only linseed oil but many other products and combination of products can self combust. So I wet my rags with water. If really unsure put the container outside until picked up. Thanks for this valuable information.

7. chiro

chiro

Very, very lucky. Go play the lottery. Had a cabinet maker friend of mine warn me about this many years ago. When working with any chemicals, I always leave the used rags outside on dirt far away from anything combustible until they evaporate or I can have the trash picked up. My wife is always asking me, "Do we have to have these used rags laying around". They answer is, "Yes".

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I actually have a fire alarm that is tied in with this security footage you see. In fact, my whole security/fire alarm system is crazy high-tech and very capable. But because my shop is about 300' from my house, I can't rely on a siren for notification - I have to rely on phone notifications. And my phone went nuts that night, but I'm a heavy sleeper and didn't wake up.

9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another argument for a clean, uncluttered shop. If that had happened in mine, I'm sure I'd be singing the blues. What about the plastic trash can? Would a metal one have been better?

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

You are a lucky man. Take some "lucky" cash and buy yourself a fire proof waste container. You don't see them much these days, but there were once common place in shops. And get some lottery tickets, too!!! Gary

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for sharing - basic safety often gets missed - most rags should go into covered metal container - smoke alarms - etc - shop damage never fun - damage to humans worse

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It took two weeks to clean the shop. Everything I had was covered in black soot - even all of my tools in my tool boxes. The walls were another story. They looked white, but if you touched them your finger would turn black. I tried using a dry chemical sponge for clean up, but it just smeared the soot and made it worse. I ended up cleaning every square inch with Simple Green and a magic eraser. I then had to repaint the entire shop... It sucked, but I did it with a smile on my face knowing how lucky I was. Here it is now:

[​IMG]

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Good choice on the can, man...

15. Spooky

Spooky

DAMN! As a former long time slave to the grind in the house paint industry, we had a dumpster or two combust, and even trashcans next to the work counter go up too. I've always stressed to customers that when working with linseed oil or any solvent, to spread the rags on a flat surface to air dry. And NEVER wad 'em up and toss them into a trash can.

reagen likes this.
  16. Bluedot

Bluedot

I've never worked with linseed oil, but use lacquer thinner for a variety of purposes, and always worried about rag fires. Or the vapors exploding in my garage which also is where the furnace is. So door open when I'm using the stuff, and any rags hang outside until dry and odor free before coming back in.
    Coming back to edit this, now that I've watched your video. Holy crap! Very valuable lesson, should be required viewing for anyone who works with flammables in a shop or garage. Thanks for humbly sharing your mistake to help others out. Appreciated!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    reagen likes this.
  17. Paul

Paul
    Editor

holy shit,
    damn glad it wasn't worse.
    thanks for the wake up call

I am going to safety check my fire trap asap

18. WOW!!
    You're a blessed man! Only a miracle prevented the wood rack from igniting and things getting worse.

Thanks for the wake-up call! I'm doing some much needed shop cleaning ASAP!

19. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are a very fortunate man! Must have been some good karma came home to roost when needed most!:D

20. Keep the combustion internal, guys.

Thanks for sharing Ryan

Just Gary, Truck64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. Glad it wasn't worse! Clean ups are a bitch, but at least it wasn't a rebuild. If I knew you better, I'd post some smart ass remark........ah, what the hell.........
    10959837_986845711335144_6635075347703777144_n.jpg

22. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

We all do stupid things but when a guy admits it rather than cover it up to save face, his character and integrity level in everyones eyes goes way up. Thanks for being so humble and helping the rest of us save ourselves from our own possible future stupidity.

Just Gary, Hnstray, Tman and 3 others like this.
  23. thanks for the eye opener. I also have a security system that's also a fire detection system. it sends a signal to the alarm company that calls me by phone. if I don't answer it calls the police or fire department. I don't normally endorse products on here but due to the serious nature of this topic I will do it now. I use the company called simple safe. its only 15.00 a month. very cheap insurance. nothing is hard wired. it installs in about 15 minutes. go online and look them up and get connected to it. I throw my rags outside and always unplug everything before I close up for the night. I never weld or grind if I cant be around for a few hours after the job is done. watching the video has motivated me to buy one of those special metal cans with a lid designed to prevent fires. I store several cars during the winter. I tell the owners they have to disconnect the battery if they want to store the car with me. we all try to be careful and things still happen. scary stuff there. glad you didn't loose the shop.

loudbang and Petejoe like this.
  24. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

@Ryan Thanks for sharing and (probably) a wake up call to some. I keep rags in a covered, sealed bucket but have gone with the can you listed above. Now, I am worrying about the aerosol cans....THANKS :eek:

25. You learn something new everyday.....

Thanks for sharing

26. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Just amazing. I am glad you were so lucky.

When I was building my old truck, many years ago, I laid a tac rag on a paper bag of sandblasting sand, that was in the bed of the unfinished truck. The next morning I noticed that the paper bag was mostly burnt away. It also had caught fire and burned during the night. Since then I have always stored and disposed of tac rags in sealed jars. I also take extra care of rags that have been used for solvents.

John

27. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

WOW Ryan play lotto bother glad all is ok

28. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

That can is tits.
    I usually take every dirty rag and lay it flat so heat doesn't accumulate. Worked so far.
    Ryan, please consider some type of light to wake you if your phone doesn't do it. My wife usually kicks me in the nuts when I don't stir.
    That very alarm trying to wake you with the garage fire could have been a house fire.

29. Deadbird

Deadbird

Wow. Dodged a bullet there boss!