Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Cool Vintage Radiator Caps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stogy, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Stogy, i would guess Minerva ( built in Belgium ) as well.

Stogy likes this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1928-ford-a-model.jpg

:rolleyes:...I'm thinking this is across the pond...I thought the plate said New Connecticut but I think it says New Condition...:confused:

Regardless it's a beautiful shot, Hotrod and a pretty cool Cap to boot...a Packard got the yank it seems...it wears it well despite its big car roots...

5cab6c04b5c5e8c4edb3271c9166277f.jpg

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
    Hotrodmyk, Jet96, TFoch and 2 others like this.
  3. alsancle

alsancle

The Minerva ornament was added to the car later in the 1930s. It was on the car in 1939 when Fred Roe photographed it in Boston. You can see the radiator had been swapped out and the shell is slightly raised. I'm assuming this probably happened at the same time the ornament was added.

Here is what it looked like when it was first built in the early 30s.

July 18 Thumb Drive 2 572.jpeg

Jet96, TFoch, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. cfmvw

cfmvw

In the movie Paper Moon, Ryan O'Neil's character has a set of tires and a new radiator cap installed on his car ('32 Ford roadster). Guess you could call it a novelty radiator cap; it has a propeller that spins when he blows on it to watch it work.

Stogy likes this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1928-ford-model-radiator-cap-wings_1_91c972a3e39d802868ba464efdc1847d.jpg

Papermoon.jpg

https://www.yourprops.com/PAPER-MOO...ginal-movie-prop-Paper-Moon-1973-YP18961.html

You have a great recollection and yes a lot of caps shared here are indeed aftermarket...it was a sizable enterprise as evidenced by my patent searchs...

That is a nice cap and like many this was complete with moving parts...

Thanks for sharing this @cfmvw...there were some classy vehicles in that movie...I was just watching a trailer...

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Laurel-Speedster-front.jpg

:rolleyes:...what's in an angle eh...I thought it was an more ornate cap than it was however it's a stock T cap with the thing I thought was part of it is a sticker or plate on the firewall...what's powering this T though puts it in Gow territory...anyone here own this one of a kind early Hotrod that was for sale some time ago?

Laurel-Speedster-engine.jpg

Laurel-Speedster-rear.jpg

This is such a cool car...

Jet96, cfmvw, TFoch and 1 other person like this.
  8. alsancle

alsancle

The Minerva hood ornament dating from the late 20s was added to the car sometime in the late 30s, it does not appear in the earliest pictures but is clearly on the car by 1939. At that point the radiator shell is slightly raised, probably to accommodate a replacement radiator.

Originally the car had a plain cap as seen in this picture.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  9. Blankenese

Blankenese

Hi Guys, Any Expectation from what this came from ? Many Regards for Any Help

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Think it is a standard bail handled cap from around 1930. Bob

s-l400.jpg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
    Stogy likes this.
  11. alsancle

alsancle

Yes, Minerva. It was placed on the car sometime in the mid to late 30s when the radiator was replaced. It is mounted on a block of wood now and sitting on a shelf. We will be using a more plain cap that was shown in the earlier photos.

Stogy likes this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seasons Greetings @alsancle thanks for sharing that...how's that project coming along? That was surely a headturner back in the day and without a doubt that will be revisited once its back winding round the picturesque roads in Massachusetts...;)

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

July 18 Thumb Drive 2 572.jpeg

:rolleyes:...I know this Thread's about Caps but I couldn't help noticing the front bumpers...do those double as a skid should a tire blow and perhaps a roll stabilizer?​

TFoch likes this.
  14. Blankenese

Blankenese

Many Thanks for your approach, seems the best what got

Stogy likes this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We are as a team quite good at identifying all things Vintage Auto but the era of the radiator caps from the early 20s to the mid 30s was saturated with an incredibly quite large number of Auto Manufacturers in North America on top of the very sizable Aftermarket, suppliers of caps suiting every career or general interest from bears to goddesses..

I don't think Bob nailed it but I understand his knowledge base and too did a fairly extensive search and came up dry...

This is the second cap I have had stump me and others...

It is a good looking cap as a visually stylish complimentary asset to any car that used them...

Is there any numbers or text visible on the underside, outside or inside of the cap or anywhere...perhaps even any original files as a search of those may direct the search to the details to identify...

I truly believe these are art with a statement complementing the rolling art these old cars are...

Welcome to the Hamb and I extend peace a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays whatever you celebrate...

My Cap...simple and stylish...factory in reproduction...some things don't need any changes...

0_20221117_171308.jpg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
    dana barlow and TFoch like this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-12-22_3-52-32.png

Hello,

In one of my newly found homemade color slides, I came across this cool photo. It was not taken with the standard 35mm Kodak Ektachrome Color Slide Film. There is no official blue/white cardboard slide holder. At the time, I was experimenting with some “end of the 35mm color film” from some company that dealt with the Hollywood Movie Industry.

It was basically the same color film, but without the official trademarked name stamped on the film cannister. That saved me several years of expenditures of trademarked brands at a much lower cost.

The development was the same and when the finished slides were sent to me, there were two more rolls of the same film ready to shoot.
    upload_2022-12-22_3-53-58.png
    "The California Top" by Ken Perry (Big Hearted Ken) for the 1934 Phaeton owned by Lee Hammock

Jnaki

The missing slides showed a great example of a jumping Greyhound outlined in a dark palm tree.

Stogy likes this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:... @jnaki, that's a nice one...probably put a warm smile on your face finding it...maybe a nice shot for the Barn Thread with that custom house that looks somewhat like a repurposed Barn...

TFoch and jnaki like this.
  18. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-12-22_13-22-32.png historic Stowe House in Goleta, CA
    Hey S,

It was just down the way from the Stowe House in Goleta, CA. (Cover shot) We had spent many weeks in Santa Barbara with the build story on the California Top. Included were shots of the 34 Phaeton prior to finishing up and painting it Yellow. The Greyhound stood out, but not quite as well as in those different color slides.

Those Goleta Airport shop location guys knew of a place just down in the area near Ken's shop (near the original Foose Design, too, in Goleta) It was when some little kid named Chip was a young kid and his dad was "The Foose." The recent photo finds were not part of the original magazine photos.

Jnaki

My wife and I just love that whole Santa Barbara coastline. We have been there plenty of times since those late 60s days in our different station wagons, El Caminos and sporty cars. Our last trip was in 2019. Those trips all created some great times and memories.

Thanks for a great thread. I will look for more to contribute...

Stogy likes this.
  19. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2023-1-1_3-59-46.png

Hello,

Jim Lattin’s automotive history is known to So Cal locals. When I was given the opportunity to photograph his outstanding 1932 Ford Phaeton, I was floored. So, we had to pick the right place for the shots. (the magazine editors at the time were not interested in the Phaeton’s initial photos I took as it was not “color” … to them Grey is/was not a hot rod color…HA!)

When we selected the day, the photo location took in the whole surrounding area. The day was cold, inspiring and the photos were impressive to garner a color shot, despite being labeled … “not color” by those in power editorial decisions. We were hoping for a cover or centerspread, with various angles and full page “color” shots. The hot rods on the actual cover and centerspread…ahhh not so great.

Jnaki

The hot rod Phaeton was set up and the ride was enjoyable. The day was so cold, but after shooting various rolls of film in 35mm and 2.25, there were enough shots for a nice two page spread. Thanks…
    upload_2023-1-1_4-3-34.png
    Here was the proposed centerspread shot or full cover shot… but at least the center staples did not ruin the overall color and surroundings.
    upload_2023-1-1_4-4-32.png not a bad looking bird…

Stogy likes this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your welcome J...I sincerely appreciate your incredibly thorough posts...you have an incredible memory for these events...I am of the opinion you could write an array of pretty interesting books...Surfing, California, Hotrod/Custom, Photography...

I have to say sharing these moments with you and the others is truly special. I mean you were part of the engine of a magazine I enjoyed month to month as a teen growing up and helped turn Hotrod/Custom into the passion I will enjoy no doubt till my eyes close forever...

Thank You, Happy New Year, Health and Happiness...

I will further extend my Thanks and Seasons Greetings to all enjoying and contributing to this and any Threads I've started...we are a significant element in what makes the Hamb the resource that it is...these Threads would be nothing without you all...

Regards,
    Stogy

0_20221117_171308.jpg

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's funny, you highlight one of the daily challenges in working with companies...doing things even if you disagree or feel otherwise about how things are to be put forward...you just do the best you can...

I love the fact you made that cap a special focus...not surprising really considering they were many times standalone works of visual art encompassing other groups of designers aside the Vehicle designers...making for something that overall captivates the prospective consumers...and brings pride in ownership...

TFoch and jnaki like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

39fd0b4ded39c55cb28ecf2341a45670918648eb.jpg

:rolleyes:...this ground pounders doing what it was built to do...I'm not exactly sure what its cap is but it looks to be sporting a vintage door knob...humor is definately not absent in Hotrod/Custom and I'd love to here the story behind it...perhaps it's basically door knobs open things by turning so there ya go...:D

Credit to Photographer, Owner

continentaljohn and TFoch like this.
  23. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20230615_134922.jpg

Hamber @trikejunkie's very cool Hotrod...skulls have been a popular part of the Horod culture for a looooong time...

TFoch and continentaljohn like this.
  25. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

hood ornament.PNG It is an Indian head, carved from stainless steel by my M8 Davy as an ornament for my house- but I cut it up and welded it to a radiator cap!

TFoch, continentaljohn and Stogy like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of a kind...not a Skull at all...and very fitting and cool...

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Sep 10, 2023
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_20230629_194611.jpg

0_20230808_005854.jpg