Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Latham Superchargers: Info & Pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by movin/on, Dec 7, 2008.

1. From my reply on Bill Van Dyke's post about "What's a Latham Worth" I've had 4 replies from current owners of Latham Superchargers.

Here's what i'd like to do. Any Latham Supercharger owner send me a PM with your Model Number and Serial # and the number of Carbs & large # small rings. If you know someone else just send me the info if it's OK. Not looking for names or addresses, maybe some contact info.

I have about 25 pages of info about them but no listing of Model Number specifics. I've also got articles going back to 1956 and pictures from Magazines but not necessarily the entire article. One i need is the one from October 1959 Rod & Custom I've also got about 50 photo's of them on various cars & boats. As I get more info I'll update.

I'll have to scan the info I have & will make it available to HAMBers who reply with info on model & serial # etc..... At this point there are only 6 or 7 of us so really to small for a Social Group. I'm always looking for more pictures & info so please help me out. I've attached photo's of Lathams in a Stude an FE ford and a 389 Poncho.

Movin/on

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
    Deuces likes this.
  2. macracing

macracing
    from Kokomo, IN

I'll be sending you a PM soon. I have a Latham with the original 6 Stromberg Carb set-up, and the Latham installed provision for the 7th Stromberg or Fuel Injector. I have never seen another one like it.

THANK YOU for starting this registry, I think it is a very good idea.

dutchman likes this.
  3. Still looking for anyone who has knowledge of Latham Supercharger Owners. I've only got 8 so far, but getting lots of pictures and articles about them.

Here are a few more pictures of HAMB members Lathams and a few pages of my Latham sales pamphlet. Thanks to MacRacing & UncleMax. I'll be starting an album of Latham info. in a few days.

Attached Files:

4. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

His son lives in town,we went to the house and saw some shit there and all of it was NOT for sale:(
    this was 2 years ago....they were made in Downtown West Palm Beach,Florida

5. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

One just sold on****for $3800.00. Almost finished with the "re-build". Will post pics. I think you have my data Rich. If not: #1186, model # is 14A, 10 stages, 4YH carbs. Does 1186 make it #86 or #186? Still need a source for a belt. I've heard Gates.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  6. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Finished the rebuild. Carbs have new kits. Trying to decide whether to keep it for my 32 roadster project or let it go. Was going to go with a flat head before I found this guy.

Attached Files:

7. Bill: sell it???? you have one beautiful setup there. I couldn't come near to affording $3800 for one.

I'm getting responses from the FEForum from a few who have them there.

Found a Latham intake for an FE ford that I'm in the process of pulling the funds together to purchase. The owner of that one is thinking of putting 2 on an Edlebrock cross ram. I'm going to be fabbing up some intake phlenums for 6 YH's and also some log types for 6 downdrafts in either 3 or 4 bolt bases. I think finding the Latham 6 carb setup for sale will be near impossible.

Thanks for posting the pic's. They are in my files.

Hope if Hamb members see them in shows this summer will get owners info & i'll add them to the list. Just need an E-mail address or a phone #.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  8. Ol Blue

Ol Blue
    from In

Bill
    What manifold are you using? My Latham has some type of square tube steel manifold with what looks like a water crossover at the rear. I've talked with some in the past that used old Corvette FI bases.

Thanks
    Ol Blue

9. Ol Blue

Ol Blue
    from In

Movin on
    Did I send you some pics of a 35 Ford coupe with a Latham in it? I saw it at the Road Rocket Rumble in Indy last spring. One of the pictures has the owners phone number on it.
    Ol Blue

10. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Bill
    "What manifold are you using? My Latham has some type of square tube steel manifold with what looks like a water crossover at the rear. I've talked with some in the past that used old Corvette FI bases." ...The manifold has a base of the early corvette F.I. manifold with two Latham pieces on top. Maybe the pics will help. These things are so damn versatile that I would suspect you'll see all kinds of variations. :) I'm thinking that double groove V pulleys would be a good mod.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  11. Bill and Ol Blue. I've got your pictures and working on how to allow access for all owners in the registry to have access.

I really appreciate your responses. Ol Blue your's sounds like one for a Y-block or a log manifold. I've got pictures of the setup in my archives. My Y-block adapters went to a 4bbl manifold so it was just a transition that was staggered from the latham exhaust to the 4 barrel bolt pattern. I'll e-mail you some pictures on Saturday. (still Friday here on the west coast) of the setup I think you may have.

Bill your's is maybe a one-off. my understanding is that SBC Lathams were based on Corvette FI manifolds but some were made by milling off other SBC aluminum manifolds. I've got one I'm working on to put one on a 327 in a 66 Vette. Your's sure does look tempting to duplicate.

Movin/on

12. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

If you look carefully at your picture of the one with 6 94's the manifolds are identical. My base manifold part no. indicates a 1956 covette Rochester F.I. I think this was a standard SBC setup according to the lit. I've read. I don't think the Ford models had a Latham milled piece. I think they may have been converted Ford manifolds which is what the one on **** had. Would make sense since I don't think Ford had a F.I. manifold that Latham could adapt.

13. I finally got my scanner "dialed in" Pictures & Literature will be in an album soon under Movin/On Latham Supercharger

14. I'm in the process of buying this! just have to put the funds together. LOL

Notice it's not drilled so it's NOS. I'm pretty much an FE person except for my Lincoln that fits better with a 351W. I've got FE's comming out of my ears.

Attached Files:

15. Saw a Latham on E-bay today seller wants $4500 "buy it now" price & it's only got an adapter for a CI Chev 2bbl manifold. Haven't yet discovered one priced that high. I'll be watching it to see if it sells. Way to pricey for my car fund.

If anyone knows the seller SS Classic High Performance in Hemlock Michigan Please get me some info so I can put a name to the Latham I did get the Model & Serial# off one of the photo's so at least it's documented.

Thanks Movin/on

16. HotRodJosh

HotRodJosh

There is a guy I criuse with here near Chicago that is running 2 on flatheads. I will get his info and pass it on to you.

Attached Files:

don colaps likes this.
  17. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That '35 is awesome. I think I have a pic of it somewhere too.

We have one at the shop that's going on a Chrysler.

18. TomWar

TomWar

I remember in about 1958, Dean Moon went 142mph with his 1957 Chrysler/Latham Supercharged.

19. A couple of more Pictures I think one of the '35 that was commented on. Another from Ol Blue in a setting that says alot.

Please if you see one get the Model # # Serial # off the Latham Plate & PM me or post info & Pictures here.

Thanks

Movin/on

Attached Files:

20. Bringing this to the top again since I see 1000+ pictures of shows like DelMar & VLV but no info on Latham Superchargers.

Come on ---- they are really not that rare??? or are they?

I'd like to collect more info for the World Wide Latham Registry

Pic's and additional info is always appreciated no matter if its on a Traditional Rod a Billet rod or even a ricer/tuner car.

I Just want to catalog all Latham Superchargers.

Thanks movin/on

21. Any new pictures or info on owners?

Post them here>

Movin/on

22. PackardV8

PackardV8

This is supposedly the last, largest Latham built, installed on my Packard V8 with Electromotive EFI and crank triggered ignition.

[​IMG]

thnx, jack vines

mgtstumpy likes this.
  23. Uncle Max sent this Picture of his 4 carb downdraft setup he fabricated. Good execution & well designed.

Shows how universal this setup can be.

Attached Files:

24. alsancle

alsancle

Here is serial number 121 for your registry.

Attached Files:

25. old33ford

old33ford

The Registry is a great idea; someone just mentioned that you were working on it. I have had my Latham for about 35 years, Model 28A Serial #001448. Complete four-carb set-up, including belt and a Latham guage. Also an old can of Chesterton Spragrip. (to limit slippage)
    I will be happy to share what I can and would like to know more about manifolds and performance. Thanks.

26. On EBay now 8 carb Latham for a SBC, I called the phone # yesterday to get the serial# and model# but so far no responce.

Thanks Ol Blue

Cannot post the link from my local wireless setup here at a vacation house in Michigan. Would someonelse post the ebay link?

Update:
    I did get to talk to the seller and the bids did not meet his reserve. I going to meet him next week and see the rest of his collection. Neat guy from the sounds of it, and besides I think i met him in the early 1970's because we both know alot of the same rodders from the 60's and early 70's in SE Michigan

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  27. Mojo

Mojo

I tried to find it but can't, do you remember what it was listed under?

28. texasmp

texasmp
    from DC

Newbie here. Is this thread still alive? I have 2 Latham's. One is complete for a Ford FE. 4 Carb setup. The carbs have been rebuilt. Looks like it did 50 years ago. Model 16A Serial # 1433 (Competition model). Sold in 1961 to a famous person living in Mexico City for a Ford. It is 100% complete, including the FE Intake, original FE-specific installation instructions, all pulley's, a belt, and the very rare angled offset distributor attachment.

I have second unit that is also an 11-stage Comp model. That is the unit itself without carbs. There is no serial #. I also have a nice Latham intake for the FE. These last two are on Ebay now.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  29. Never seen the impeller on a Latham!
    Is it multiple small vanes as on a jet turbine?
    Pictures please.
    Bill.

30. Here is a picture from the 1965 sales literature

Attached Files: