Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Checy 283/ T5 question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Christopher26, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Christopher26

Christopher26

2. that bell housing looked like it wouldn't bolt the chevy.

3. Christopher26

Christopher26

Rex, on the bottom of that page it says will not fit ford T5's, I believe the bellhousing is the 80-83 jeep 151 but it's a pain to find one it seems.

4. Toner283

Toner283

A GM T5 will bolt to any GM bellhousing that a Muncie or a T10 will bolt to. they do not have to be mounted on the 45 degree angle that they are mounted on in the Camaros and Firebirds. you have to open the mounting holes up a little bit they are about two millimeters too small because the T5 has a metric bolt pattern. It has been quite a while since I have done one and I cannot remember off the top of my head whether you have to open the holes up with a nine sixteenths drill bit or something slightly larger. The tailstock mount will need to be modified. I built an aluminum block for mine and welded it to the tailstock after removing some of the stock mounting boss. This allowed the transmission to be mounted straight up instead of on the angle that the transmissions are on in a Camaro. They are angled over for transmission tunnel clearance I believe was the reason. You can use a stock 305 bell housing to mount a T5 to a 283. That would also give you a hydraulic clutch. IIRC the slave cylinder for those mounts to the bellhousing.

slack likes this.
  5. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

85-89 gm t5 should have the classic gm bolt pattern on the bell. Mid-ish 93 up S10 t5 will have the Ford bell pattern. You dont need the jeep bell for the gm bolt pattern. The one you show is not for a sbc.

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

Early 90's Camaro and Firebird's have a Chevy bolt pattern.

Gary

7. yruhot

yruhot

Im no expert but i agree it dosent look right to me either. I put one of these trannys in my 57 chevy with a 350 crate motor. pulled out the three on the tree. used stock linkage though.worked great.

8. Christopher26

Christopher26

Yes I agree that the gm t5 will bolt up, but mine is out of a mustang, so from what have been reading the only way is to use a jeep bellhousing from a 151 iron duke motor because they had chevy block patterns with a ford top loader tranny, but I do not know exactly what one looks like, from what I read I believe that its from 80-83

9. Fortress

Fortress

If you have a chevy bell, you can just buy an adapter plate to get the trans bolted to the chevy bell.

10. We just bolt an S10 tail shaft housing on to make it sit straight up and still shift. Simple and you get a speedo drive.

But this is all good info, I think the 9/16 drill is correct from what I remember as well. :cool:

11. Christopher26

Christopher26

I think its really my best option at this point, finding a jeep one with a hydrolic throw out bearing is proving tough

12. Hydraulic throw out bearings are a pain in the ass, a slave cylinder is easier and when it takes a dump you don't have to drop the tranny to deal with it. it will take a dump.

13. Swap the Ford WC T5 for an old S10 T5 and then it is all bolt up.

14. Christopher26

Christopher26

Sorry, I meant I do have a throw out bearing, I had my head up my ass on that one.

15. Christopher26

Christopher26

do have a slave cylinder, not a throwout bearing.

16. Christopher26

Christopher26

17. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

nope. I have one at home. I'll fish it out and snap a few pics... when I get to leave work and go home that is.

18. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

19. Christopher26

Christopher26

Thanks Nostrebor, now I just need to find out what year and make had the external slave on the bellhousing