Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford T5-to-SBC Adapter in AMC Eagles?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Abomination

Abomination

I saw this post on the Kansas City Craigslist (below) . Is this for real?!?!?

~Jason

[​IMG]

Ford T5 to Chevy small block bell housing RARE - $150 (Orrick Mo)

Date: 2008-11-24, 9:59PM CST

This is an Oddball bell housing out of an AMC Eagle, it mounted a SR4 ford transmission to a GM 151 4 poper. So it will bolt your T4/T5 ford to a Chevy small block since they share bolt patterns. THIS IS NOT AN S10 BELL HOUSING. THe S10 and other blazer T5s are a different pattern an bolt to the conventional Gm bell housings. this one will adapt the mustang T5 to your Nova, or whatever.

$150 OBO

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  2. Abomination

Abomination

So, a junkyard-sourceable Ford T-5-to-SBC adapter exists... but unless you already had a bunch of these parts already laying around (in which case I can see using an adapter to save a buck working what what you have), who in the hell would want to use one on purpose?

I'm asking this literally, not figuratively. Seriously, is there some weird-ass situation where you'd actually need to do this?

A situation not based on a dare?

~Jason

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  3. KY Boy

KY Boy

well its good knowledge to have and now you recorded it in the right place. THANKS!!! i love stuff like this

4. twofosho

twofosho

I thought the SROD 4 speed used a bellhousing that would allow you to bolt up a Tremec 3550 or Ford toploader 4 speed, not the Ford pattern T5.
    The 93 up Camaro six cylinder used a Ford pattern T5. If this six cylinder shares the small block V8 bell housing pattern, wouldn't it be an easier find, anyway? Flat Ernie? Anybody?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008

5. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

I am pretty damn sure that the SROD does not share the same pattern as the T-5.

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Hmmm...never heard of it, but it makes sense. AMC typically used Ford trannys...as mentioned, bolt pattern may not be right though...

7. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I just went through all of this in adapting a ford T5 to a SBC. You have 3 choices:

1. Big buck scattershield
    2. Bell housing out of a Astro van with a T-5. Good luck finding one of these.
    3. A 80-82 (I think) jeep with a 151.

So I googled jeep junk yards. First one was $300, cuz it was that rare SBC to T5 adapter. Second one was $150. Third one, bingo, $50 shipped. I did check eBay, and after I bought mine I did see two of them under $50 if I recall correctly. Don't pay $150.

I just mounted it in my project this weekend. A 65 falcon 2 dr wagon with a 305 TPI. The only issue I had was the bearing retainer on the T5 was too big for the hole in the jeep bell housing. I had it brought down about a 1/8 inch on a lathe to fix that problem.

Now I need to determine what GM flywheel/pressureplate/pilot bearing to use and what ford clutch plate. Should not be too hard to figure out.

Hope this helps........I spent way too much time trying to figure this out. I googled SBC to T5 a millon different ways and finally found the jeep solution. Go figure........

Doug

8. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

The six cylinder in a 93 Camaro has a different bellhousing bolt pattern than a typical SBC.

9. Southfork

Southfork

I wonder if the T-5 bell housing out of a GMC Safari van is the same as the T-5 bell out of an Astro van. If so, it should another choice.

10. I actually have a Ford/T4 that mates to a GM engine. Another HAMBer had the Spirit Bellhousing I needed.

You can find my questions in the search.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  11. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Safari = Astro

12. Abomination

Abomination

T-5 weirdness, BTTT for those that missed it!

13. Home from the weekend. My Bellhousing tho I call it Spirit (since they came in em) was labeled 82 CJ-5 from the salvage yard. As far as I know they were only T4's? Maybe later they had a T5? A GM clutch and pressure plate fit the input housing as does the normal GM pattern, 250,SBC,Iron Duke (which AMC used in Spirits and Jeeps).

So, the issue with a Ford T5 is NOT bolt pattern but the length/spline of the input shaft. From the Bellhousings and trannies I have looked at you NEED the FORD/AMC Tranny WITH the AMC/Chevy bellhousing. The depth of this bellhousing does not match anything I can find (not a lot of Ford stuff to compare to) would love some Ford tranny guru to help clear up the rest of the issue. As of now, I DO NOT THINK that you can just take this bell and use a Mustang T5 on the back of a Chevy?!

So if the water is muddy enough here is what I am doing. Ford/AMC specific T4 that was mated to a Chevy Iron Duke. Using T4 and AMC adaptor bell to mate to a Chevy 250 Inliner instead.

14. Plus the center register hole in the T4/AMC Bell is an odd size. Only fits the T4 as far as I can tell.

15. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

your right tman. the ford fox car T5 does not bolt directly to a sbc using that amc bell. you can use a jeep or amc car four speed tho.

16. For what it's worth, the T4 and the T5 are virtually identical except the T5 has the OD 5th gear and the gear ratios probably differ. I've read that the 2WD T4 is not supposed to have the bulge for the OD on the tail section, but the one I have does have a bulge there (and it IS a T4, shifts to 4 gears, knob has 4 speeds, tag number doesn't come up on any T5 lookup, pulled out of an '86 S10 w/2.8). Chevy used the T4 in S10s from 1986 to 1989, but it's the same front pattern as other Chevy T5s. So I think you'll find the AMC/Jeep/Ford version uses the same front case be it a T4 or a T5. I don't know about the bearing retainer, though.

Also, as noted a GMC Safari and a Chevy Astro differ only in badging and the name on the title.

If you go to the trouble to get a Chevy 250 six, can't you just round up one thats a manual trans already and put a Chevy pattern T4/T5 on the back? Is the input shaft too long? What about a 4.3 V6 bell in that case? Might be easier to find -

17. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

T4 and T5 are basically same. Minor variations here and there.

Not sure what you're saying here re: "input housing" :confused:

What do you have for input shaft length based on the bellhousing (ie - how long do you think it needs to be?) - I know the dimensions of the various Ford input lengths (there are 3) and can check a Jeep T5.

Well, it depends. I think you can depending on which Ford input length you have...

T5 input retainer should be interchangeable w/T4...I'll check the T4 I have here against the T5s.

Again - it depends (I think).

We've chatted about this before, I think it's likely the tail was swapped out, but I'll never rule anything out in the silly T5 configuration game!

Yes - should be same.

I'll be out of town for 10 days, so won't be able to check input lengths of Jeep and T5 vs T4 (and bearing retainers) for a while...but I'll try to remember when I get back! If the mystery isn't solved, and you don't hear from me by the 14th or so, PM me!:D

18. I have to admit I asked that last question about putting the Chevy T4/5 behind a 250 because I'm wanting to do that myself, and I'm too lazy to try to find a stock manual that was behind a 250 and measure the length on the input shaft. T4 is out in the garage now in the trunk of my '50 if anyone needs anything measured on one of those, Chevy version as noted above.

19. I am doing this because I found a great T4 and the price was nice.

My 250 IS a manual but like I said, the tranny dropped in my lap first.

Rocky did an OD/nonOD test on 250s and the OD didnt make a diff in mpg so that made up my mind to go 4speed.

Ernie, I meant input shaft in that one line. :eek: I will pull measurments off my parts when I get home.

20. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

i recently saw t4 with the bulge...i question the the owner about it being t5...he said it was definately 4speed and he pulled it out of his own s10...wth

21. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Well, like I've said many times, nothing suprises me about T5 anymore (guess that can extend to T4)...

Maybe it's a T5 with a broken 5th gear! ;) :D :D

22. Here are m y T4 numbers.

Bellhousing Center register 4 13/16ths"

Input shaft 7 1/2"

1 1/16th 10 Spline

23. So does it just bolt up if you open up the bolt holes for standard bolts, and fit, or do you have to mess with shortening the shaft like I would behind a 235 (without using that Buffalo Enterprises adapter plate)... ? Or do we not know yet. I have to think shortening the shaft an inch or so is easier than finding an Astro bellhousing.

24. Mine mates together the same as it did with the 151 4 banger, only difference is I switched to the 250/6. There is no mesing around with bolt holes or cutting the shaft.

My tranny and bell came out of a GM powered AMC if there is still confusion.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  25. Bump for Ernie

26. Most of the 250s I can lay my hands on have Chevy bells on them, or have nothing.. my buddy may get a Chevy pickup that needs a trans, and has several he can put in it, so I'll see if I can get a measurement off one of those and compare.

27. My 250 is still running in the truck. Comparing the AMC bell to 2 other GM bells I have it is much deeper than those.

28. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Tman - I'm out of town for a week. From memory, the most common Ford input is 7.18" - I think. The 4-cyl were longer (7.41") and the 94/95 V8 T5 were just shy of 3/4" longer at 7.85"

29. Snarl

Snarl

[​IMG]

According to Hollander:
    #721 clutch housing 3251270
    '80-82 Concord 4 cyl.
    '81-82 Eagle 4 cyl.
    '83 eagle 4 cyl with vin "B" (GM)
    '80 CJ7 & CJ5 4 cyl with shift lever in extension
    '81 CJ5, CJ7 & CJ8 4 cyl.
    '82 CJ series 4 cyl. with shift lever in extension
    '83 CJ series with 4 cyl. vin "B" (GM) with shift lever in extension.
    "80-82 Spirit 4 cyl.

The bell pictured is one that I own. It has part number 3251268 instead of 3251270, but they are the same animal. Try to get the fork and lower cover if you can. It doesn't use a pivot ball like a Chevy, but an extension spring and a stop.

I don't believe you can use this with the larger 168 tooth flywheels, use the 153 tooth.

This bellhousing is 3/8" deeper than the standard Chevy, so depending on the tranny, you may need to get a longer pilot bushing. They are readily available. Just google "long pilot bushing"...

This bell also has a 4.85" center hole, so the typical 4 11/16" Chevy collar is too small. You will need to swap the input collar with a Ford T5 (assuming it can be done), or make/buy an adapter ring.

A WC T5 from a 90's S10 will work if you fix the collar diameter issue (and deal with the electric sender)...

30. Thats the animal I have as well.