Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bringing the Wetzel Roadster Back to 1952

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HEMI32, Mar 29, 2020.

1. When Dickie called to tell me he was selling the "coupie", he was unsure what the future would hold, and was hoping Roy was going to keep it. I believe the last he told me is that the guys at 3 Dog Garage are pretty excited about the car, documentation, etc, and have decided that it will wind up there. While I realize it is not the "focus" of this thread, and while I live in Springfield and know the guy who gave Kurt the lead on the Wetzel roadster, my greater interest is the car that I have grown up around. ;-)

31.jpg
    Here's a shot of Dickie's coupe from the '71 Nats, in Memphis. Don't tell him but I liked the Halibrands on it better than the Kelsey's. LOL

2. The flathead is back in the "Wetzel Roadster":

Dr. Wetzel Roadster @ Roy Brizio Street Rods - July 18th 2020.jpg
    image from the July 18th Roy Brizio Street Rods Inc Facebook timeline

3. See above

D.Lee and Stogy like this.
  4. Why was the Caddy engine removed from the Barris Parisienne custom? All this mixing of engines from historically significant vehicles leaves me confused.....

kidcampbell71 and rod1 like this.
  5. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess it's all part of the everchanging world we live in.Perhaps we need a Jolt to our senses every now and then,on what we think is history. Neat car in both versions...

chryslerfan55 and Surfcityrocker like this.
  6. Kid Rocker

Kid Rocker

Looks fantastic!!

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@HEMI32 I am of the opinion he actually ran Bias 16 big bike tires but I have glanced through the scanned articles and not seen mention of what the vintage tires were...but note a rounded look different to the Automotive cousins...

I had them on my Vintage Harley...I think they may however have went with a Automotive version...which looks fine as well as Bias Tires are as we know are Period Correct...

Interestingly Hamber @quickchangeV8 may in fact have those by the sound of it...would they happen to be the Bias depicted in the scanned articles?

So Quick change are you saying the fronts wheels and tires you acquired the ones in the scanned articles or those modern ones in the OPs?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. Jair Valle (of Roy Brizio Street Rods) was tasked with pulling the flathead out of Dick Carroll's Deuce 5wd ... Blowing it apart and giving it a quick detail and a minor rebuild before putting it back in the "Wetzel Roadster":

Dr. Wetzel Roadster @ Roy Brizio Street Rods - Jair Valle - June 5th 2020 (1).jpg
    Dr. Wetzel Roadster @ Roy Brizio Street Rods - Jair Valle - June 5th 2020 (2).jpg
    Dr. Wetzel Roadster @ Roy Brizio Street Rods - Jair Valle - June 5th 2020 (3).jpg
    Dr. Wetzel Roadster @ Roy Brizio Street Rods - Jair Valle - June 5th 2020 (4).jpg
    Dr. Wetzel Roadster @ Roy Brizio Street Rods - Jair Valle - June 5th 2020 (5).jpg
    Dr. Wetzel Roadster @ Roy Brizio Street Rods - Jair Valle - June 5th 2020 (6).jpg
    Dr. Wetzel Roadster @ Roy Brizio Street Rods - Jair Valle - June 5th 2020 (7).jpg
    Dr. Wetzel Roadster @ Roy Brizio Street Rods - Jair Valle - June 5th 2020 (8).jpg
    images from Jair Valle's June 5th Facebook timeline

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  9. Jair Valle (of Roy Brizio Street Rods) finished putting the "correct engine" in the "Wetzel Roadster" ... and took it on a test drive:

Dr. Wetzel Roadster @ Roy Brizio Street Rods - Jair Valle - July 10th 2020 (1).jpg
    Dr. Wetzel Roadster @ Roy Brizio Street Rods - Jair Valle - July 10th 2020 (2).jpg
    Dr. Wetzel Roadster @ Roy Brizio Street Rods - Jair Valle - July 10th 2020 (3).jpg
    images from Jair Valle's July 10th Facebook timeline

35cab, El Hueso, jakespeed63 and 11 others like this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

Huge improvement!

11. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Yes Stogy, the wheels and tires that I have are the ones that were on the front of the 1952 version of the Wetzel roadster.The tires are the old bias ply tires and due to their age, these tires wouldn't be suitable for use anymore. The original front wheels from the 1952 Wetzel roadster are on the front of my 1927 dry lakes roadster and have been fitted with new bias ply tires.

12. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

“Turning Back The Clock” Great Recoveries of both the Hook/Wetzel & The Kookie T, by Roy-Boy & Co. Those 3-Dog Garage Guys are putting their money in the right places=HISTORY!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Jim Bouchard, HEMI32, bowie and 3 others like this.
  13. bchctybob

bchctybob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it camera angle or does the radiator/grille shell lean forward a little? (Post #39)
    My Dad always used to say, “the only color for a flathead Ford is red” so we dressed up the engine in my first car just like Jair did with this one except mine had Edelbrock heads and a Thickstun intake. Even the black oil pan.
    Sure brought back fond memories...... Miss you Dad.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My question is since you have the tires that were on this distinctive Hotrod that look to be Firestone's is, were they a Motorcycle tire on an Hotrod...why I do ask is one, they look rounded like a cycle tire and I'm suspecting it may have played a part in choosing a Modern Cycle Tire being fitted to the the pre restored version...presented in the OP. It's funny all these articles and very little mention of the original tire config other than the fronts are smaller...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

1952 8715BBBB-4786-49E4-AC22-5512C2B53A6C.jpeg 2020 6C2463E4-E331-49CD-9ECD-D2533A17826C.jpeg You have arrived!!!!!!!

HEMI32, waxhead, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  16. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Stogy, if you look at the second post on here by Hemi 32, it gives you a clear picture that there is indeed a Firestone tire on the front of the roadster. You can see clearly that the Firestone logo is embossed on the front tire. I still have the tires in my loft and they are 16 inch Firestone bias ply tires. Perhaps the tires in the 1952 photo were slightly over inflated and give that rounder look.

Jimmy B, HEMI32, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  17. Looks like a 39/40 steering box from what I can see of it!

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for your help and patience, these latter images clearly show the flat contact surface on these what must be one of the smaller Bias Piecrust Auto Tires available at the time by Firestone...

And yes the graininess of images and possibly over inflation didn't help with my assuming he may have in fact run cycle fronts back in the day...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  19. Incredible story and transformation
    Such a cool Hot Rod
    I think restoring these is more difficult than doing a stocker

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Incredible story and transformation
    Such a cool Hot Rod
    I think restoring these is more difficult than doing a stocker

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. fortynut

fortynut

Totally warps my head, even if I know what a badass Flathead feels like under your control. From the sound of the starter to that feeling you get when the clutch comes up and you give it more accelerator pedal. There is nothing more visceral in this life. I wonder does it have an aluminum flywheel? That adds to the way it takes the gas and gets up to speed. Not quite sure of the period these were used. Lots of carbs on that baby, and with no visible fuel tank I wonder how soon you needed to start looking for a filling station? Only discordant note is the green seat. Hooker Hood, a legendary sprint car driver, my younger brother pit crewed for, put us all wise to green as being bad mojo. Otherwise, I give the resto a thumbs up and hope like hell Roy (who is a hell of a nice guy) bagged the Caddy for the Coupe where the secret of its motivation would be a hidden secret. A dream engine in its day and no slouch today, with the go fast goodies, a horse trade like that would make us all happy. But, then again we all know money doesn't just talk. It shouts. On a stand?

22. 392

What a great thread and read. I met Kurt McCormick years ago and he gave me a grand tour of his rides that stick with me to this day. Cool car indeed.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. Kid Rocker

Kid Rocker

All they need to do is adjust the radiator bars now and lean that grille shell back a bit.

24. jimmy six

jimmy six

Yellow and jade green go together. The best 54Merc’s were yellow and green with a yellow/green interior.

Green on a race car is totally different. I would love to put a “6” ball on my GMC 6 race car but it’s green....