Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Starchief Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55starchief, Apr 10, 2013.

1. 55starchief

55starchief
    from New York

So some updates, engine and tranny are in. Bumped the oil pan going it and caused a slight leak. Replaced the oil pan gasket..... Snapped a oil pan bolt!!!..... Drilled and chased it out. Got ANOTHER gasket and reinstalled the pan. No oil or water leaks so far and I ran the car several times since. I do have a small tranny leak at the shift spline, il investigate that in a bit. Master cylinder is installed and bled but I have a small leak that needs to be tightens down in I believe two spots but may be more. So that's first on foremost, button up the brakes. Ohh did I mention... I drive it down the road!!! For the first time since the 80s she got back moving, steering an stopping under its own power. Taking it down the road gave me a few things to look at next. I was getting a wobbly and bumpy ride, I was told this is probably due to me using the old wire basket rims. They have slotted holes for the studs and I'm using regular lugs. I was told they require special lugs and washers so they don't slide around. I'm picking up new rims this week. The tranny did not shift all that smooth but I may be low on fluid since that spline has been leaking for a few weeks with me neglecting it. The plan forward is

1. Brakes
    2. Rims
    3. Check tranny fluid
    4. Rear passenger door repair or replace
    5. Take her down the road and look for more kinks

..... During all this I am stripping the car and clear coating the bare metal. For two reasons one I think it looks awesome, and the other to stop rust till I'm ready for paint. Also I have an ongoing problem im looking for a solution. I installed a new fuel pump wich works great but it seems that sometime in the past the line from the pump to the carb was replaced and is now metric... No big deal... I got a new line bent it to fit nice.... Ok PROBLEM the compression fitting on the line is to shallow and the feral does not seat, this also happens on the input line from the tank. Both do not seat and I'm not sure why the pump I bought has such deep threads. My temporary fix is leaving the pump in place but unhooked and I have a elec. pump floating in the compartment. ( I hate the set up and want it back to stock) anyone know of a male/female fitting the will give me shallower threads on the female side? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375969837.966564.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375969857.519974.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375969888.112757.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375969898.539680.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375969908.985919.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. 55starchief

55starchief
    from New York

Oh forgot to mention, I got my rear passenger door open. After uncover a ton of bondo it looks like the door was hit pretty good. I ordered a door from a fellow hamber, but for practice on my bodywork I am going to try and repair the door by cutting and patching in pannels. Also i started ordering sheet metal to do my floors, so that is in the near future.

Here is how I got the door of once we saw it was going to need repair at the bottom.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375972453.854745.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375972464.406555.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375972484.230151.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375972500.222861.jpg

3. mt94ss

mt94ss

Just read the thread, good job so far! So sad to have to cut the door up to get it open, though. Rears should be easy enough to replace or repair. See them on CL often for $50-ish.

Have you considered using a bead roller for the floor pans? I am needing the same for my '56 Star Cheif and was thinking of getting the HF roller and giving it a whirl. I ordered pans for my '65 Riv and was so disappointed in them especially for the money. I needed almost all and spent over $600. Could have bought the roller and flat stock and made better ones myself.

Good luck.

Mike

4. 55starchief

55starchief
    from New York

Thanks !

There was no getting it loose from the inside, the plate that the latch assemble is mounted on blocks you from accessing the actually mechanism, I tried heat, lubrication/penetration, wire wheels, and good old fashion force. Nothing would budge until I got to the mechanism side and gave it a wack, door opened right up. (Well... You know what I mean...)

I am going to bead roll my floors for sure, just haven't decided where and how. If I fabricate them at work I have a huge shear/bender/roller to cut up the sheets I ordered and I couple bead rollers that the fab guy can teach me to use. I also help out a well known local bike builder who is great with tin work... He can help me fab them out but I think il save his expertise for the body work. Floors get tucked away so I want to use them as a learning experience but at the same time they have to be done correct.

5. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

I like what I see so far I think i'll stick around to see what happens next.

6. 55starchief

55starchief
    from New York

thanks rusty,

my brother just called, door arrived today. so when i get home from work hopefully i can hang it. at the same time I started putting together the basement shop. i recently bought my first house and it a small ranch with finished basement.... was finished.... ripped up the carpet added a wall and hopeing to turn it into a hogF**k of a shop with a motorcycle/tool room and then shop/bar/hangout room. i have the car now on a slab in the back right outside the shop... plan is to put a lift outdoors rigt there.... i understand cold weather will cause the fluid to thicken.... but i plan on taking the post down for the winter and not using it. any one have any oppinions on my plan to have my lift outdoors?

7. 55starchief

55starchief
    from New York

any advice on the fuel pump?

8. 55starchief

55starchief
    from New York

9. 55starchief

55starchief
    from New York

10. Oh hey, you have a thread! Awesome! Any updates? Mine is still getting the welding done...been in the alleyway next to the shop for a week. don't know what's going on...

4274SPEED likes this.
  11. 55starchief

55starchief
    from New York

Wow I have been slacking this winter! Well when in comes to the 55 at least, but in the mean time I got all the outside of the house done and built the chief it's own house. I know it's kind of irrelevant but il post pictures just because I'm proud if the work.

Before

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393345949.172488.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393345955.327233.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393345994.424050.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393346022.803119.jpg

New siding
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393346087.168764.jpg

New roof, siding and vaneer stone work,
    New deck with small one car bay underneath

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393346129.002354.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393346138.567546.jpg

Barn door on the other side not showing to pull the car in.

Now gotta clean it up put some shelving in and the tool box, then get my ass back to work!

Attached Files:

12. pvfjr

pvfjr
    1. Hydro Tech

I think this is due for an update!