Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55starchief, Aug 10, 2013.

1. 55starchief

55starchief
    from New York

I installed a new fuel pump wich works great but it seems that sometime in the past the line from the pump to the carb was replaced and is now metric... No big deal... I got a new line bent it to fit nice.... Ok PROBLEM the compression fitting on the line is to shallow and the feral does not seat, this also happens on the input line from the tank. Both do not seat and I'm not sure why the pump I bought has such deep threads. My temporary fix is leaving the pump in place but unhooked and I have a elec. pump floating in the compartment. ( I hate the set up and want it back to stock) anyone know of a male/female fitting the will give me shallower threads on the female side? or any way to fix this, gas shoots out from both sides.

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Are the fittings compression or inverted flare?

3. 55starchief

55starchief
    from New York

Almost positive it's a inverted flare... Il take a picture of the pump fitting and the fitting on the line as soon as I get home from work today, or il ask my brother to snap a shot.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Did you double flare the tubing?

5. 55starchief

55starchief
    from New York

No I bought a pre flared length, I don't have a flaring tool but can pick one up.

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If it is a premade line it should be double flared.
    You may want to get new fittings for the pump I have noticed some fittings don't have the threads deep enuf or take the fittings out of old pump if you have it.

7. 55starchief

55starchief
    from New York

The fitting are casted part of the pump I'm pretty sure, an the threads are too deep, The flare doesn't reach the bottom before the flare fitting nut( on the line) bottoms out on the pump fitting. I need a fitting that will go into the pump seal and leave me with shallower thread so my line fittings will seal.... In Other words the threads on the fitting of each line are too short...

Draining the brains of good
    mechanics since '92

8. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Very few pumps have inverted flare fittings made on them,most of these are made with the fitting body out of steel and crimped on to the pump housing,later model stuff 70s. Your pump orignaly would have had tapered pipe threads ,1/8 pipe most likely, you need adapter fittings. The old Weatherhead brand part # would be 200X5. Do not use compression style fittings on fuel or brake lines.

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Well dang I didn't think of that.
    What size steel line did you thread into the pump?

10. 55starchief

55starchief
    from New York

Photos ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376173620.335250.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376173627.634513.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376173633.594819.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376173645.968594.jpg

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You need a pipe to flare fitting, male pipe to female flare.

12. Yep, those are tapered pipe threads. Go down and get an adapter.

13. 55starchief

55starchief
    from New York

Awesome you guys are great! Thanks again, I am going to do some homework on the different fittings. I'd like to get familiar with them all and the differences between them.

mechanics since '92

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Oh, I thought this was a what's for dinner kind of question. But I see it's not and the last few post's got you fixed up. So I'm gonna try to see what's for dinner since I didn't find anything here. :D

15. Enchiladas!!

16. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

As I said 1/8 male pipe to 5/16 inverted flare . Sold Weatherhead brass fittings for years,many numbers are engraved on my so called brain! W/H 200 X 5 is the number!!!!

17. 55starchief

55starchief
    from New York

Thanks John!! Will be ordered tonight , thanks for the info. Hopefully I can burn it into my brain!

mechanics since '92