Register now to get rid of these ads!

36 ford brakes...another question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ace Brown, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

been searching for this topic and i've seemed to uncover some answers, but i'd like a 'definite' from someone here if i could.

I'm familiar with ford's hydraulic brake system, but not so much on the mechanical stuff. At any rate, as some of you may have read we picked up a '36 ford coupe, complete with mech. brakes. we're going to upgrade.
    so,
    I have the following in the shop at the moment:
    '48 ford front hubs/backing plates/drums
    '39 ford front and rear (so the owner says, but they appear to have the 5X5.5 bolt pattern) drums/hubs but NO backing plates for the front.
    '46 ford rear complete assembly.

if i read correctly the '39s are the way to go? They fit on the spindles? If i read correctly also, the '48 style will fit, but with an adapter? Might be just as easy to put '48 spindles on and run my '48 setup.

how 'bout rear? read over on fordbarn or somewhere about 39s being a bolt-on for the rear?

let me know what you've got. seems so simple, but i just can't quite decide which route to take. Thanks guys and gals
    -ace

2. Flop

Flop

wide fives were from 36 to 39. so im guessing everything from 39 should bolt right up. wheel cylinder are the same 39 to 48 i believe. i dont know if 36 backing plates have provisions for the wheel cylinders. but im partial to the wide fives i would say go with them instead on the 5 on 5 and a halfs .i might have some 39 stff layin around i will look if your interested.

3. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

well with the wide 5, i don't care about that. they get hubcaps over them, so to me they're kind of pointless to be straight with you...no offense anyone.

just checked the drums, both are 5X5.5, not wide five (other than the stock '36 of course.) pretty sure no area for the wheel cylinder on '36 since they were mechanical.

Thanks Flop, let me know what you got bro
    -ace

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

39-48 backing plates all mount the same.46-48 do not have the adjustable anchors ,a bit easier to deal with. Drums all interchange ,other than the 39 only wide five the only other diff is inboard or outboard hubs. Front wheel cylinders came in 2 size combos just be sure you have the same on both sides. Late were 1&3/8sX1 bore.

5. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

yeah, i was running the '48s on my A for some time, then switched to f-100. good working order.

I re-read some previous posts, i read that there is a spacer needed if i run the '48s, and the backing plate mounting holes on the 36 spindles don't quite match on the '48s, so i need to modify the backing plate slightly?

would i be wrong in assuming that i can use the '48 brakes on my '36 spindles? this is where the spacer comes in to play, but i can't find such a thing.

6. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Can't remember for sure but I Think spacers are needed only for 28-34. But eveb if you do a bit of rat tail file work is all that is needed on the backing plates.Done several 28-34 change overs but never any 35-38s. But there is NO difference in the backing plate mounting 39-48,same hole spaceing everything mounting wise is the same.

7. Ace, The 39 thru 48 backing plates will bolt right up on the rear. The front mounting holes need to be opened up with a rat tail file, just a bit. The fronts need a spacer (Looks like a piston ring, model A I think) sold by C&G, Sacramento Ford, Macs, ect...The 40/42 drums, hub on the inside, or 46/48, hub on the outside, will work. The wide five wheels do look different, kind of artillary looking without the high price. If you go with the wide fives' only 37 to 39 drums will work on the front due to bearing orintation. 36 front drum bearing 1" further outboard. 36 to 39 rear drums slip right on. I did this on my 36, P.M. me and I can answer any Q's or steer you in the right direction. Mike

8. adamabomb76

adamabomb76
    from York, Pa

Personally, I'd run the newer ford set up. You'd have less time worrying about them falling out of adjustment.

9. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

ive just went through this with changing my 35 to hydraulic brakes.

if you want to run 39-48 brakes on the front with std 36 spindles you will need the spacer/adapters from speedway (http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/3286,271_Hydraulic-Brake-Adapter-Rings.html) as the backplates from 39-48 dont fit the spindles, they are a different bolt pattern, the mounting holes on the backplates run in a smaller diameter to the holes on the spindles. All the big ring does in the kit is make sure the backplate is centrered on the spindle. the smaller ring supports the bearing.

best thing to do is get spindles from anything which is 39 up then any backplates/hubs/drums from 39-48 will fit. I prefer the earlier drums with the hub on the inside of the drums but thats a personal thing.

for the rear anything from 39 up will bolt right on. the reason people say use 39 backplates on the rear is because 35/36 drums fit these backplates/shoes so you get to keep your original drums, not so much an issue with 36s with the '39 backplates as the wheel bolt pattern is the same but it is for 35s as the wheel bolt pattern is different and you would need to get supports to run your wire wheels on any of the other drusm/hubs

this thread in the tech archive explains and shows how to fit hydraulic brakes to early spindles http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124112 you will see the spacers/adapters and the difference in bolt patterns between spindles and backplates. I think it would be easier to go with later spindles to resolve the issue for you - part of the reason its hard over here is RHD late spindles are like hens teeth. you dont need to worry about the rears in the article, im sure that procedure is specific to model A axles.

10. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Awesome guys, much thanks. I'll see what i can get done, and Irish Mike, if i have a problem i'll be sure to pm you. Us mic's have to stick together afterall ;)

Weemark, thanks for the links my friend, allthe help's appreciated!!
    -ace