Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The Streets of Stockton in '62

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 21, 2023.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

The Streets of Stockton in '62

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. I feel like I just witnessed someone stealing that 56 Buick Century about half way through. He cases it, leaves, then comes back and hops in.....

Michael Brady and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  3. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As a person that was born at Castle AFB, in 53, in the Winton/Atwater/Merced area, of the San Joaquin Valley.
    American Graffiti is a very special, personal film to me indeed!
    I am sure there are a lot of us HAMBERS, that used to cruise the streets of various Central Valley towns, that can relate to these vintage films!
    Thanks for posting and sharing.
    Thanks from Dennis.

olscrounger likes this.
  4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Stockton is quite a mess these days:(

Bandit Billy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, sorry to hear. I just glad the rest of the west coast is normal o_O :cool:

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Stockton is a good 75 miles from the coast

7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Nowadays there would be more swearing, honking, road rage on the “mean streets of Stockton”...

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  8. junquewerkz

junquewerkz

I agree with Jay's description of Stockton in early '60s (another place for cruising classic cars, just up the road from George Lucas' hometown of Modesto) but have to point out that the video's description is incorrect that it starts in Stockton. Stockton didn't have streetcars in the early 1960s; they were pulled out before WWII, so I suspect all of this was probably shot in SF. Doesn't take away from the cool cars and video, however.

9. Note that @Jive-Bomber Jay was just quoting YouTuber @NASS_0 ... who stated the following in his colorized video's description:

I colorized, restored and created a sound design for this video of California 1960s , we start in Stockton, we can see the traffic in the night and a lot of open stores, then we have another road in California with people walking when the night starts to fall after we have a street scene in San Francisco with a lot of open shops and a good neon.

Video Restoration Process:
    ✔ FPS boosted to 60 frames per second
    ✔ Image resolution boosted up to HD
    ✔ Improved video sharpness and brightness
    ✔ Colorized only for the ambiance (not historically accurate)
    ✔ added sound only for the ambiance
    ✔ restoration: (stabilisation,denoise,cleand,deblur)

Please, be aware that colorization colors are not real and fake, colorization was made only for the ambiance and do not represent real historical data.

B&W Video Source from: Internet Archive
    B&W Video Source: https://archive.org/details/ia3500002...
    B&W Video Source: https://archive.org/details/ia3500002...
    B&W Video Source: https://archive.org/details/ia3500003...

... and a couple of the "Reviewers" of the original B&W footage supposedly shot in "Stockton" commented the following:

Reviewer: Spuzz - April 11, 2020
    Subject: Dunno!
    Tough identifying this one. A non descripit street at night, businesses across from it. There's a fair amount of traffic so I'm assuming it's a large city. Had to go to the more high def file to get business names across the street. There is a bakery, what looks to be a tv repair place, and what looked to be the key, a restaurant called the Xochimilco Cafe. The only one I could find was in Stockton CA, but the building and structure and location doesn't quite add up... hmmmm..

Reviewer: Michael Martin894 - February 18, 2023
    Subject: Los Angeles
    That is somewhere in LA prior to 1962. Several LA street cars can be seen passing.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
  10. junquewerkz

junquewerkz

Yes, thanks for clarifying @HEMI32. I saw the YouTube description and those comments and let the video producer know. Again, doesn't take away from it being a cool nighttime video of classic cars.

HEMI32 likes this.