Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The Pit Pass (Plus!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Mar 25, 2022.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

41 GMC K-18, Okie Pete, fauj and 6 others like this.
  2. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Haven’t seen one cut out like that. I have this Detroit one, don’t know the year. I bought a pile of old Hot Rod magazines years ago and found it inside as a page marker. 08DD8FE7-691D-4377-8141-BB3E49E24430.jpeg

41 GMC K-18 and tractorguy like this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Cool! Another great post to remind me that it’s Friday :)

4. Here's mine....
    2.jpg

tractorguy and Tim like this.

5. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

You can't be that old!

6. Grandfathers….^

7. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

My better half grew up in West Haven CT so when she found these she had to have them. Sadly it closed in 1967. 20220326_071640.jpg

8. Anderson

Anderson

Great idea for those stickers. I’ve been looking for one of those pit passes for a while! Missed out on a couple over the years.

This is the coolest pass I’ve got…
    F49DAFAA-6EDA-4138-A614-1132C9BADAEF.jpeg

41 GMC K-18 and LOST ANGEL like this.
  9. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had one of those damned right-side shifted Sporties in my collection of a half dozen motorcycles. It was the outlier of the bikes, every other one being a left-side shifted cycle. I did a whole lot of inadvertent downshifting instead of rear braking on that thing.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  11. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I have a permanent pit pass from Carlsbad Raceway signed by Sandy Belond.

41 GMC K-18 and Irish Mike like this.
  12. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool thank you for sharing. Cool foil sticker .

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-4-5_3-50-26.png
    “Noticing the Nationals"
    "Back in 1959, the National Hot Rod Association held their biggest drag race of the year at Detroit Dragway. It was a groundbreaking event in a whole lot of ways, and it featured a long list of cars that we now consider legends…”

Hello,

Thanks for acknowledging one of the best recorded sounds and explanations of early recorded drag racing history. Our lives were into drag racing from a young age. It was nice that within a few blocks, we had moved to a far Westside of Long Beach location into a real house in 1947-48. The location was as far West as anyone could be to still stay in the confines of the Long Beach city limits. There was a huge elevated mound that ran almost the whole distance from the harbor area into deep Long Beach toward Compton for the local freight only railroad.

This railroad was the border of the Wilmington city limits and on the other side was the location of the Lion’s Dragstrip starting in 1955. So, despite the fact that in late 1953, we moved to a different old house, the new location was several blocks away. By 1955, it was a short bicycle ride to the mound to see the dragstrip every Saturday.

During our junior high school days, it was a short walk to the end of the baseball field to climb the mound to see the racers when we had Saturday morning/afternoon football/baseball games on the fields below. Definitely afterwards, a nice lunch and sitting on the tracks watching the races was a given.

Jnaki

By 1959, we had already started our drag racing at Lion’s Dragstrip and were looking into the next level of racing participation. So, it comes as no surprise that we took a trek to Wallich’s Music City in Lakewood to buy the latest LP album on Hot Rods and Drag Racing In Stereo. It was in December of 1959 and the location was perfect.

Wallich’s had self-service record racks, wrapping products in plastic and installing listening booths where customers could sample records before buying. Sitting in a sound proof room with headphones on and listening to our favorite So Cal racers against the best from all over the USA was fun and a new thing for us.

Now, we could listen to the sounds of So Cal racers and match them with our films during our teenage hang out film viewing get togethers. We weren't the only ones to buy this record of drag racing sounds, but at the time, it was one of the first and best recordings that actually told the listeners, who was running against the other. It truly was a listening paradise for the first time.

upload_2022-4-5_3-52-49.png
    It was difficult to do as the stereo player was in the other room, and the living room was where the screen and projector was set up. Of course, it was never on the exact track or film to coordinate the sounds with the films. But, we all hollered and hooted when a local racer was shown and the sound was the exact racer, just one month later in a different location, namely Detroit, Michigan.

Here is a sample of the Kenny Lindley/Don Hampton streamlined FED dragster on film and the exact sound from the tracks of the Hot Rods and Dragsters In Stereo LP album. This coordination was done digitally after I had the LP digitized and my films were also digitized to make coordination editing easier.

Kenny Lindley/Don Hampton at Lion’s Dragstrip, Summer of 1959. The sound edited from September Labor Day Championships in 1959, only a few weeks later.

Kenny Lindley/Don Hampton at Lion’s Dragstrip, Summer of 1959. The sound edited from September Labor Day Championships in 1959, only a few weeks later.
    upload_2022-4-5_3-54-51.png
    I was so happy with the results that I jumped into the other listings and found the coordinated films to go with the sounds. The whole project was rounding out the edited sound added to the Sidewinder film clips to make a nice showcase for the 1959 version of the Joe Mailliard Speed Shop/Paul Nicolini Design “Sidewinder” rear engine race car from Long Beach. The clips were of racing at Lion’s Dragstrip during the Summer of 1959. The sound, of course was from Detroit in 1959.
    Sidewinder SOUND From Detroit 1959 Films from Lion's Dragstrip 1959.

upload_2022-4-5_3-55-30.png

Go to the J NAKI “You Tube Channel” to view the rest of the SOUND collection of this 1959 US Nationals at Detroit with So Cal racers. If you have a smart TV with streaming channels, get the You Tube Channel. Then you can see these old films in a larger, almost life-size viewing with your quality sound apparatus and stereo. It is much better on a larger screen than on a phone or even a 17 inch laptop.

When one views it on a big screen TV with quality sound, the recorded sound from the old 1959 Detroit was done well and the sound over the large screen TV comes out blasting. Even my wife, from the kitchen/dining area says… “that sounds really cool…” Yes!

If there is one drag racing sound LP Album that you need to have in your collection, this one tells you specifically who is racing who and what they are driving. 1959 was a good year and the producers were right on the ball with this recording. The others over the years look good, sound ok but unless your digital mind is full of information on who is running what, it is a mystery to just listen to those sounds. YRMV

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
    lurker mick likes this.