Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Robert Clews Corvette

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Robert Clews Corvette

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

bitchin.... I have not seen this one before, pretty cool. I wish more people would customize corvettes today, like they did when they were new....

Sancho likes this.
  3. Agreed. I love today's pick.

I also have another favorite. I aways liked the elusive late 50's Corvette that Gene Winfield modified and painted for Mike Sparrow. Other than a few black and white photos, it's been lost to the sands of time.

Screenshot_20181217-092639_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20181217-092707_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20181217-092736_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20181217-092801_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20181217-092830_Chrome.jpg

And that's all I have. Evidently, the side or interior shots, didn't out rank these chosen rear photos that day. Never seen further studies of this one either.

Thank you for this thread. Great read.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    catdad49, Squablow, 63fdsnr and 4 others like this.
  4. Just awsome !!
    Yeah the Bette is too collectable to gold chainers to customize!
    It’s a shame as they make killer customs

5. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

I always though the most obvious mod to a 53-57 Corvette would have been to replace grill with a 55 Belleayre grill, but I've never seen one. Those early grills belong on a DeSoto, not a sports car, but a Belleayre grill would make a C1 look like a Ferrari.

raven likes this.
  6. millersgarage

millersgarage

my uncle has a 60 Drag 'vette with the same dual chrome roll bars

kidcampbell71, Sancho and cactus1 like this.
  7. Also in the "Corvette Quartette" article in August 1959 Hot rod. Looks like the same photos however, other than Robert and removing the background from the second one.

upload_2018-12-17_14-38-11.png

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Awe... that might explain how I saw it with my pops then...

kidcampbell71 and Sancho like this.
  9. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Ryan - the first time I saw Clews silver vette, about 1961, it was in his shop, American Auto Upholstery, which was located next door to your uncle Franks business, Air Service. A pretty notable car locally as it had been in HRM. Bob was in business around Reno for about 25 years. I have no idea where the vette went after the early sixties.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. I've always liked this early version of the X-sonic.

400px-Ron-aguirre-x-sonic-kustomrama.jpg
    These other two are very similar to each other and KEWL.
    bob-mo10.jpg corp_0905_01_z+1953_chevrolet_corvette+front_view.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. I love the early C1 Vettes, either stock or custom, but I think the headlight treatment on that one is off and detracts from the Vette's great design. Those posted by Scott T look great.

slowmotion likes this.
  12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I love the C1s too, stock or hot rodded. I just don't see any of the custom mods here as an improvement over a perfect design. I know you can get drummed out of the core for saying so.. I do think other cars lend themselves well to customizing.

And, I'm a customized Vette (C2) owner, so it isn't blue ribbon syndrome or whatever you call it. I did it too, flared the wheels, shaved, scooped.. Is it nicer than stock? Maybe not, that was 40 years ago, ain't going back now. 1004151634a.jpg

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

My 61 is really mild in comparison but I really like it and the “corvette “ people don’t... haha[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I wanted it to look like a rich kid high schoolers car back in 62-63 or so

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Nothing wrong with that Morarity. Still retains all the gorgeous lines. I have the triple tail lights too. Sometimes they even all work.

I've toyed with the idea of trying to trade for a C1 many times. What has stopped me is a, I have too big a heart for my crap and seldom let go, b, it does ride really nice, been a long time since I've been in a C1, not the best rep for ride quality, but I'm sure that's and easy fix and c, as others eluded to, once you get a car titled in California and just send in the reg check every year, best to just die with it.

tb33anda3rd, slowmotion and Moriarity like this.
  15. slowmotion

slowmotion

Never really was a fan of the first gen Corvette as a full custom. Like said, hard to improve on what's already damn near perfect. Something mild, like Moriarty's, I can dig. Go changing the lines and it becomes a slippery slope pretty quick. JMO, that's why there's chocolate and vanilla. :D

scotty t and blowby like this.
  16. looks like the car has the name painted in the scallop, but I can't read it.