Register now to get rid of these ads!

History New Cars

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.Ukrop, Jun 15, 2018.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

New Cars

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Deuces

Deuces

So, which car company decided not to include a tire iron, jack and a spare tire in a new car?????

I believe the world should know about this.... :mad::rolleyes::mad:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. That's more common than you think.... My OT late Mustang came with a spare/jack/etc but a low or no cost option was no spare (for more trunk space) with a can of fix-a-flat and 12V compressor substituted instead. Most of your tiny shitboxes have no spare to free up cargo room.

4. catdad49

catdad49

Yep, just bought a '16 and an extra cost item was a spare kit. Judging by the number of vehicles that I see on the road with a flat, I always wonder if people can even change a tire! Call AAA, I guess.

5. philo426

philo426

...as an aside,I recommend that if you buy a used car ,always check to make sure it has a spare,Jack and tire iron.Good thing I checked my O/T 99 Caravan,as it had no Jack or iron!Put a small floor Jack and 4 way lug wrench in and it us good thing I did!Had a flat that week!

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I work at the Chevy dealer....Plenty of the new cars out on the lot do not have spare tires or the tools. It's crap. But, the cars built nowadays are built to be replaced every few years anyways.

7. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

I work for a major rental car company and customers think it is us deleting the equipment. They can't understand when we say it isn't our choice. We have added the spare tire/jack option, but as stated most people can't/won't change a tire anyway.

8. I can hear it now,Man call's AAA and say's "I'm on the side of the road on hwy 101 at mile marker 86 with a flat tire on my 2020 Aluminum Astro Belchfire 4.6 Fartbox 12 and I need assistance,there is no spare,no jack and no lug wrench what do I do?"

" Sir,I'm afraid there is not much we can do,you know that car's 2 years old and it's time to replace it,they only last as long as the tires." :rolleyes: HRP

steinauge, Hombre, BigO and 9 others like this.
  9. philo426

philo426

Unacceptable state of affairs for sure!Tire technology is great,but not perfect .

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

evidently people don't need jacks and spares they just need a cell phone.

Hombre likes this.
  11. Sometimes it's too dangerous to try a change a flat, especially on freeways. I've seen a lot of dashcams where cops have been nearly killed by some idiot running into them while stopped on the shoulder.

That pretty outrageous considering how much those shitboxes cost nowadays.

flatheadpete likes this.
  12. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

OK, this is way OT, but I worked for a major RV Manufacturer in the 90's and I was there when they decided to eliminate the spare tire. Their reasoning was they didn't want another 80 year old driver trying to lift the 20,000 lb RV with a bottle jack, then remove and replace and re torque the 50+ lb tire,, lets not talk about duel rear wheels..

Hnstray and kbgreen like this.
  13. Benny's Ford

Benny's Ford

The dealers or manufacturers don't supply the spare and needed tools to save MONEY. They are happy to sell you a spare and tools for upwards of $200.00

Hombre, Bleach and catdad49 like this.
  14. catdad49

catdad49

^Along with a "smoker's' package, which consists of an ashtray that sits in the cupholder space!

pat59 and Fortunateson like this.
  15. most of the new car buyers these days could not change the tire if they had too.... commercials even highlight this lack of ability

16. Yeah but they put all kinds of crap you don't want like air bags, ABS, back up cameras, etc.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  17. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Have you ever tried to lift a car on the side of the road with one of those skimpy jacks and then break the lug nuts loose with those worthless wrenches supplied by the car companies? Nearly impossible. It’s no wonder new cars don’t come with them.

And to keep this old-car on topic, how many of you carry a floor jack, breaker wrench, and spare in your hot rod? I don’t and I bet most guys with a pre ’48 don’t either. So flat tire wise I’m just as helpless in my Model A that I built with my greasy hands as the soccer Mom in her new Minivan.

Hombre and brad2v like this.
  18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Brings back a story!! No jack,no spair,yup been there! Had 14year old ruff used 57 Nash Rambler wagon 6cly picked it up for $75,cleaned it up,tuned it up,even painted it up after a few months. Never found were the spair tire or jack should be???much less any at all.
    So I was driving by AMC dealer,an desided to go in an ask?? Salesmen desend on me as I park by the front door. "WE"LL give you a great trade in,on that wagon" Me,"Maybe,if you can show me were the spair n jack goes in this old WAgon?" So both of them start looking,an it statrs to get funny,nether can find anything. They go get a old guy that worked there many years,he comes out LOL,shows us a small strap under the backseat that holds"Tube patchkit",thats all it ever had,being the cheepist modal wagon. Old guys rule !!!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    pat59, brad2v, Bleach and 1 other person like this.
  19. ken bogren

ken bogren

If I recall right some of the late 1950s and early 1960s Studebaker station wagons didn't have a spare tire.

dana barlow likes this.
  20. Need to see an owners manual.

21. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorta back on topic, did the model car magazines back in the '60s also have styling concept drawings? That's what I remember, but I was single digit young.

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

One of the first things I buy for an OT car is one of those cheap floor jacks and a lug wrench from the parts store. I've pulled over to help people struggling with those cheap ass scissor jacks and they always give me a, "Why didn't I think of that?", look.

dana barlow and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Just wait until they are on I-70 in Utah driving down that stretch of road with no cell signal for 118 miles. :eek:

Hombre, dana barlow and 49ratfink like this.
  24. 2935ford

2935ford

Oh, Oh, my Hot Rods don't have jacks, tire irons, lug wrench or spare tire!
    Oh wait, I have Hagerty's tow service! :)

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if you are a man and can't change a tire it is time to turn in your man card and buy a pretty apron.

Hombre, Mtn Goat, John B and 7 others like this.
  26. philo426

philo426

Yes I was kind of shocked when I saw that Liberty Mutual commercial where the kid did not even know what a lug wrench was while holding a mini pry bar.I blame his dad for never showing him how to change a tire.

27. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys are all missing the point. If you think about it, the "no jack/no spare" thing started about the same time as the tire pressure warnings systems started showing up on new cars. The main reason that a tire needs to be changed is a blowout, and the main reason tires blow out is because they are run for an extended time at lower than recommended air pressure. The theory is that with the tire pressure warning system, tires will be kept at their optimum pressure and therefore won't blow out. Given that most people are clueless about changing a tire, this makes sense. If the tires are replaced at a reasonable interval, blowouts should be extremely rare. The only exceptions would be road hazards that would be severe enough to cause the tire to blow, but in such a case, the manufacturers recommend an inspection by the dealership. Given today's world, it makes sense. Plus, they save a few bucks and are able to trim .003 (or something equally as ridiculous) off their corporate CAFE average.

That being said, when my girlfriend bought a new Kia Soul (hold the cracks; it's what she wanted) and when I found there was no spare or jack, I bought a wheel, a matching tire, and a jack. There was still a recess in the back for a spare and everything else. Although I am getting a little "long in the tooth", I am not like most people these days and can change my own tires, should the need arise. Given the way things are though, I don't expect I will ever have to.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Hnstray likes this.
  28. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Everybody needs a tire iron under the drivers seat. Jack E/NJ

Bleach likes this.
  29. raymay

raymay

I bought a Gen5 Camaro that I used for a recent Stationwagon Conversion build I did and there was no spare or jack. They give you some sort of a one time use air pump that has an expiration date only 5 years after manufacture. A friend has a similar car and paid extra to order an actual space saver spare and jack which I also would be interested in finding for my car.

DSC00135.JPG DSC00136.JPG

30. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whats the use of having a trunk monkey if you don't have a lug wrench?

crashfarmer likes this.