Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowering a 1959 Ford F100 truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bowtie_Guy, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Bowtie_Guy

Bowtie_Guy
    from Minnesota

I'm looking at a 1959 F100 to rat out and I'm wondering what others have done to lower it without breaking the piggy bank. Also if you have parts sources that would be great too. Look forward to hearing from you HAMB'ers!

2. Bowtie_Guy

Bowtie_Guy
    from Minnesota

Pretty straight.

Attached Files:

3. derbydad276

derbydad276

I think you got it figured out bury it in the ground is cheap

use the search feature join the f 100 club on here
    and what ever you do
    (DONT PUT A CHEVY ENGINE IN ITOR A S 10 SUSPENSION UNDER IT)

4. Bowtie_Guy

Bowtie_Guy
    from Minnesota

I searched the tech archive and came up empty. Is there somewhere else to look?

5. TinShed

TinShed

6. Bowtie_Guy

Bowtie_Guy
    from Minnesota

Can anybody tell me where the right place is? As I said, I've already searched the tech archives. Just looking for some help here.

7. TinShed

TinShed

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Search F-100 , drop, lowering, dropped axle Things such as that. There is a thread on here for '57-'60 F-100s that does have some info on how a couple of guys have dropped theirs, and there is also a general F-100 thread that has some more over a broader range of years. There is an excellent tech piece on putting a Jag XJ6 front end under one of these on our sight too. Actually it's under a '63 or so. If you asked me how I would do it the jag would win in a heart beat, at least until ElPolako has his new reissued Dakota cross member kits up and ready for that year span.

Oh, and Rat Rod is not a term we use around these parts. That truck deserves better than that.

9. Bowtie_Guy

Bowtie_Guy
    from Minnesota

10. Bowtie_Guy

Bowtie_Guy
    from Minnesota

And yes, I checked ebay and google. Not much out there. Also I'm trying to find out what others have done and how it worked. Not just what is out there.

11. TinShed

TinShed

I click it and get 213 I put in “lowering f100“ simple as pie.:D:eek:

12. TinShed

TinShed

I think your computer is broken, drop it off @ BestBuy and have the Geek Squad fix it up for ya.

13. j-dogg

j-dogg

14. one really cheap way of getting it down 4 inches is taking out three leaf springs all around, that's how im going to lower mine. i'm still not sure on which leaves to take out, so i might look that up if i was you.

Spooky likes this.
  15. Bowtie_Guy

Bowtie_Guy
    from Minnesota

I did read something on the jag front but I'm really looking for a budget drop. I found Sid's this afternoon (http://www.droppedaxles.com/) and also read about putting the axle on top of the spring. And yes, they are all "Hot Rods"! I'm just planning on using mother natures updated paint scheme. ;)

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I would say that the Jag stuff is gonna end up being quite a bit cheaper than the dropped axle, but that's my neck of the woods. In our U-Pull it on any given day I've counted 8-12 pre 86 XJs to rob for suspesion stuff. Half price day that would come out to about 125.00 disc to disc. I just can't see how a dropped axle is gonna get that cheap. Oh, and I have done dropped axles many times...

17. Bowtie_Guy

Bowtie_Guy
    from Minnesota

That might be a really affordable idea that still gives a decent ride! It would definitely soften it up.

18. Bowtie_Guy

Bowtie_Guy
    from Minnesota

I had no idea it would be that cheap. And you get disc brakes! That sounds like a winner. Thanks for the advise!

19. scopa

scopa
    from Canada

20. chaddilac

chaddilac

That's a good thorough thread... Same exact setup for the 59 as well. I think the simplest route would be to buy a drop axle from Sid and flip the rear axle and put it on top of the springs.

Otherwise, I'd spend a little time and do the Dakota frontend conversion that El Pollacko does.

21. willymakeit

willymakeit

Try thr FTE site also. More of a resto site but they cater to darksiders also.

22. Spooky

Spooky

Sliding into this post a few years after- I am really curious if removing leafs is a way to do this.

23. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ