Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '50 ford shoebox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tenspeedr, Mar 24, 2013.

1. tenspeedr

tenspeedr

Hi Guys,
    I'm new on the site so I'm hoping someone sees my post. I bought my first project back in January,a 1950 ford. The top has been chopped, the car lowered 4 inches. The car was lowered but NOT channeled, just blocks under the rear end and cut the front springs. Has a 350 chevy with a 700r4 tranny. No exhaust manifold so I'd like to go with a set of headers. Anyone know of some stock headers that will work without having to make any changes under the hood or to the headers themselves? I'd like to be able to slide the engine back in her with the headers on and be ready to install the exhaust! I'd also like to put in a 9 inch Ford read end. I'm afraid the 350 will be too much HP for the original rear end. Anyone know of one that is the right size and will bolt right in? I can use any advice someone will provide. This is my first project and it's ALL new to me. I'll be posting pics as this thing progresses, if I can figure out how to do that too! LOL :eek:

Attached Files:

2. welcome form Langley BC Canada... go to the search, and type in "shoebox" and you will find all kinds of info and help...

3. studeboy

studeboy

Welcome aboard Tenspeedr. Take lots of pictures as you progress and don't be afraid to ask questions when needed.

Check out this thread by Sevenevez for the exhaust info you were asking about. Page 13 is the start of the header discussion

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=525517

4. smarg

smarg

5. tenspeedr

tenspeedr

Not sure I know what you men by posting it in the intro section but I'll do it. Just have to ask someone computer literate to help me out. It took forever to find my post to see if I had any replies! Thanks for the input.
    Steve

6. tenspeedr

tenspeedr

I can't say thanks enough for your input. I will be checking that build out! I'll post pics as I make progress. Is there some way I can keep all my pics kinds "together" as I will be posting them at different intervals as my work slowly progresses.
    Steve

7. tenspeedr

tenspeedr

Thanks Brother rodder. Man I hope mine looks just close to being as cool as your ride!
    Steve

8. tenspeedr

tenspeedr

Hey Bro,
    Thanks for the compliment. I'll get it as low as I can as I go. I'm gonna put chrome reverse rims on her, but the front ones will need be skinny and "go inward". Right now when I push her around a little bit to work on her, I barely turn the wheel and the tire rubs the fenders. I've lowered it 4 inches but did not channel it. I hope I can keep her low to the ground! This is my first attempt, wish me luck. I sure would like to end up with something to be proud of!
    Steve

9. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With a 350 and a 700 you should be able to run the stock rear. If you are worried think 8" Ford before you to to cutting down a 9". An 8" mavrick should slide right under the car.

10. tenspeedr

tenspeedr

Thanks fat47. You're not the first to tell me that so I'm gonna look for the Maverick. While you're reading this, I wanna ask you something else. Why don't they pull my numbers in the POWER BALL? I could sure use the jack IF I'm ever gonna get this thing built!
    Steve

11. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Hey there tenspeed, Man I sure like the looks of your shoebox its got a REAL good look:D I think the shoebox IS what defines Hot Rod

Attached Files: