Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1950 Ford Shoebox Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sevenevez, Oct 27, 2010.

1. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

Before i start I'll just say I am no Master Hod Rod Tech Head. I just love vehicles so it's always a learning curve for me under the hood when i get one, but i am gaining knowledge everyday and this forum helped a LOT while i was searching for a classic. I Bought the car in Late September for $7k on craigslist. Here's what i know about it. 1950 Ford 500 Custom Tudor Sedan. New Interior, New Paint. No Bondo that i can find. 327 out of a 65 Vette on a Muncie 4 speed. Heres a few pics when i first got it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is all the little green pieces of paper i traded for the car!
    About 8 months of saving and building web sites
    [​IMG]

Finally, In my driveway
    [​IMG]

Nikkerton likes this.
  2. shainerman

shainerman

Awesome ride man, congrats! Looks like you got yourself a solid deal and a solid car. Pther than driving the piss out of it, what are your plans for her?

3. RatBone

RatBone

Great start! Good feeling getting it home huh!

4. Von Franco

Von Franco

Great car for that price man cool.......................

5. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

Update: The original owner said it needs a new radiator and that the carburetor is bad (quadrajet). Well, the Radiator Blew on the First Day and sprayed all over the place. I "ordered" a new one from U.S. Radiator.
    $339 and it took 3 weeks before it arrived, so be prepared to wait if you order through them.

Here is the new one next to my old one.
    [​IMG]

Installed it
    [​IMG]

Also, the QuadraJet Carb was pretty bad. If you weren't light as a feather it would just die when you hit the gas. So i got a Holley 600cfm for the 327 to replace it from checkers for $249. My buddy Adam helped me.

[​IMG]

Installed
    [​IMG]

Also, replaced Fan Belt and did a good Syntec Oil Change on her. Still working on getting the timing right. Seems like it should have more power than it is giving. It is hard to time though because someone put a balancer from a 350 on it instead of a 327 so who knows which notch i am trying to time to.

Last edited: May 22, 2023
  6. 68Caddy

68Caddy

Sweet Ride! Love "the money shot"!

7. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

ha, thanks, i put a good 200 miles on it last weekend so she is somewhat reliable now.
    My Plans: Classic style. Wide Whites, Chrome Steelies, Air Bags and Paint.

Man, after all that searching and waiting, it felt great. First night i got drunk and fell asleep in it in my garage.

thnx, i hope so. :)

Nikkerton likes this.
  8. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Sweet ride man, and your learning to wrench the best way possible, just getting in there and doing it...

One question though, did you say you were running synthetic oil? I ask cause I've seen a few older engines that start leaking when the owner switches from conventional oil to synthetic.

9. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

thanks 68Caddy

yea, i did a little research and on an older engine i was told to go with a heavier weight synth oil. It's engineered for older classic engines. Castrol SYNTEC 20w-50

10. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Cool dude, never tried that stuff but sounds like it'll do the trick.

11. butch27

butch27

Man: You got a bargain there. Nice.

12. cruisin30

cruisin30
    from Katy, TX

Around here we we call that a great buy! Nice going.

13. Ghost28

Ghost28

You say a 327 and a muncie. I wonder when that car was originally hot rodded? Do you have any info on the history, It looks like it's been around awhile, and ya done good. (Nice car)
    I have a 51 club coupe project for a future build.

14. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

Very cool. That World of Rods magazine you have on the table with the money shot has a tech on my car. Its the Jamco suspension tech article. I actually just got the car back from them a few weeks ago just in time for the cruising weather around here.

See you around.

later,
    Chad

15. big bad john

big bad john

.............WOW.....Sweet ride.......and really cool.....enjoy, and well worth the money

16. billys54

billys54

17. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

it'll probably help the low end power if you change out that intake to a dual plane, those single planes are POS's on anything other than a race car

Also junk the ugly ass valve covers, and toss on some Moon, Cal Customs or early vette ones, other than that i approve

18. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

thanks butch

thanks cruisin30

i wish i did have more info on it. it would definitely help. i called the owner of it back and.... phone number changed. i like them '51's too man. cant wait to see it

what? haha, i have read the particular article on many porcelain moments. thats a pretty nice mag and to you i say a dang nice ride! i didnt know that was here in arizona

thanks john

thnx

interesting, what is the difference in a dual plane as opposed to a single plane function wise?

19. shoebox50

shoebox50

20. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I belive you have a torker or torker 2 there, single plane. You have more seperated runners in a dual plane, which means at lower rpms the air doesnt go back and forth as much inside the manifold as each cylinder pulls it a different direcion.

On the other hand in a race engine pulling a lot of rpm, the air doesnt have enough time to switch direction, and it is a quicker more direct shot into the cylinder

21. single plane intakes are usually for higher rpm use i bet your car is kinda sluggish up to about 3500-4grand then starts to pull hard

i still think you should leave it the color it is (from the shoebox club post you made)

but get rid of the wheels i like your car hopefully my 50 will be on the road soon

22. elrobo818

elrobo818

very nice dude... i started out the same way... not knowing a damn thing about cars... til i bought my 52... i still dont know a damn thing about em.. but im learning. :)

23. 73super

73super

You did well picking one up in good shape. Ford Shoebox is one of the goodies to have in your garage. You'll have a lot of fun in that thing. I like the idea of the wide whites and steel wheels. Very cool car. Thx for sharing it with us.

24. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

Looking good. Nice ride.

25. Hogdriver

Hogdriver
    from VA

Great looking car. I could use a few of those Grants to further my cause.

26. Shoeboxdriver

Shoeboxdriver
    from Holmen, WI

As so many have already stated, YA GOT A GREAT DEAL on your '50:). To me the color is good, wide whites would be sweet. There are so many goodies available from folks like Jamco, Fatman, etc. to get the stance and improve handling, IMHO, I wouldn't mess with bagging it, but that's just me. Keep it simple, drive & enjoy!!

Shoebox

27. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

thanks, man, your car is gorgeous!

gotcha, it isnt a race motor, i believe it has a cam though

yes! you are pretty much spot on with the RPM's the way they feel. maybe i should look into getting one of these?

haha, yea, i did a chevy truck last year and thank god i got a buddy that knows his sh!t. he taught me a lot

thnx

thnx

haha, we all could

even with the torsion bars it doesnt handle well at all. as far as the stance, i just love shoeboxes laying flat. but i would want the option to get her high enough that i can also drive it wherever. unfortunately i think bags is the only way to go to get what i want this time around.

30. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

haha, uh oh. this is where my automotive verbiage and lack of knowledge gets tested. i mean those bars like under the rear wheels that are supposed to stop the rear end from hoppin or wudeva.
    [​IMG]