Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stupid vacuum wipers.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gromit, Oct 20, 2011.

1. AntiBling

AntiBling

Few questions for people in this thread:

1. For everyone saying rebuild the motor, do they have somewhere they are finding the gaskets or making their own?

2. For everyone saying use rain-x, honestly how well does it work in misting rain or like driving in traffic in town. I can get out on the open highway and drive in the rain fine without rain-x, it's only in town getting that misting traffic moisture on the windshield that causes me problems.

Personally I'd rather have a switch to turn on wipers when I need them then to have to be applying rain-x all the time.

3. 'Mo

'Mo

Bookmarked.

4. hemi46

hemi46
    Member Emeritus

I put the 6 volt two speed wipers out a 53 Ply in my 46. Had to modify the mount to make it fit, but I had wipers all the time.

5. you're a lucky one remove your vacuum motor and replace with a 59-61 ford electric motor. you'll need to rework you cardboard heater ductwork but the fix is what ford should have done in the first place. pm me if you want pictures.

Adriatic Machine likes this.
  6. lukey

lukey

Like i said, my wiper motor was recently sent out and rebuilt... That seems like it was serviced to me! I stated i never heard of lubing the motor. Im here to learn.
    On another note, my winter driver is starting to fall apart on me, so i will be drivingmy 58 all winter it looks like. Gonna go buy some rain-x in bulk and have a skookem time!

-LUKEY-

7. I too could not bring myself to spend $200 for electric wipers, so on my son's 54 chevy I swaped in a Ford tractor wiper motor. Now I know not everyone has access to a free Ford wiper motor but look around at junk yards and find an wiper motor that works back and forth, mounting it up wont be that hard.

8. rain-ex is definately skookum

9. John Milner

John Milner
    from Oklahoma

Vaseline use to fix them for awhile.

10. Paul2748

Paul2748

In a lot of wipers, especially Ford, there is a leather "paddle" inside. After a while, these dry out.

This method has restored them to almost like new on a couple of carsof friends.

Take off the hose in the engine comopartment that leads to the wipers. Put some brake fluid in a bottle or can (use Dot3 or 4, regular, not synthetic). Stick the hose in th brake fluid and operate the wipers by hand through about ten up and down cycles (have a friend help for the side you can't reach). Let sit for 24 hours. Then try the wipers. The brake fluid swells the "paddle" and provides a seal. The car may smoke a little when starting. Put a rag under the wiper motor so any drips from the motor won't get the carpet wet.

11. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

12. Gromit

Gromit

Update: The monsoons came this week. I gave the motor another shot of silicone lube, and sealed up the vacuum line connections (aircraft sealant and tie straps. The wipers are excellent (yes I added rain-X in the mix as well for those long hills) I have a parts car here with avacuum canister that will be robbed before the car goes to scrap. (80's pontiac.. no loss) Thanks for all your help.

yes.. Skookum,.

13. I've had kind of mixed experiences using Rain-X. It seems to work pretty well on newer vehicles or cars with new, smooth, pristine, shiny windshields. But most of what I drive have used, lightly pitted, wiper scuffed windshields. The Rain-X helps somewhat, but at nightime in the rain if you do turn on the wipers, it makes a smeary mess of things. Oncoming headlights and street lighting showed a lot of glare and diffraction.

Not skookum at all! :mad: Visibilty seemed much better with good wiper blades and without the Rain-X.

Is "unskookum" or "antiskookum" considered proper usage? :confused:

14. someguy has a vacuum can on his '50 merc with the original wiper motor.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/J3jk3vFtalo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Install an alternator with a vacuum pump from a jap diesel [you'll need to plumb in some oil lines ]
    all the vacuum issues going up long steep grades will be gone, plus your brakes will work awesome as well.

Added bonus is the charging system will also work good [ they are internally regulated ]

"3 fixes for the price of 1"

16. Technically, the engine has to suck--it's the suction (vacuum) from the engine that makes the wipers work. Sorry, couldn't resist that in a discussion about vacuum wipers.

17. speedyg948

speedyg948

a few years back ,i rebuilt the vacuum wiper motor in my thirty seven ford, found a guy in hemmings motor news that sold the kits or would rebuild them for you,,,cant remember his name but i remember he was a cranky old bastard

18. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

You can also look for dual chamber fuel pumps that had a secondary diaphram to provide extra vacuum for the wipers. they were common to flathead mopars.

19. I am working on getting an xj6 jag wiper motor and assembly into my 52 Buick. So far it looks promising (but I haven't started yet :) ) The motor is of course a 12v unit, and very sturdy. It is connected to a steel worm that is protected in a steel tube. Where the wiper arm controls connect, you have a cog type wheel which mates with the worm. The pivot mechanism has one bolt either side which allows the steel casing to be adjusted at any angle you want. It is not a direct line up with the old buick, but the steel pipe that protects the worm is probably nothing more than brake line with flared endings and these can be made to fit at the desired length, thereby allowing incredible flexibility. I'll post more up when I get them in, if yr keen.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If you still have a 6 volt system get the wipers from a 50 to 54 Chrysler as they are electric and might bolt in.