Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nailhead in a 37 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Apr 15, 2011.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It looks like there is a rod bearing issue on the 235 I have in my 37 Chevy p/u so its time for a V8,a couple months ago I was thinking about a Olds but the Buick might be a little narrower so anyone have a nailhead in a basicly stock 37 or 38 chevy p/u that they can post some pics of it in there so I can see how it fits.

2. 50ChevyFrank

50ChevyFrank

Jeff
    No experience with a Nailhead, so no reason to reply really, except to ask about your signature line. Do you really hate SBC's or what? I'm not trying to stir up trouble, just wondering. I realize they have been done to death in street rods of every brand and I too might yurp the next time I see one covered in billet in a plastic 32 Ford. But they are a well designed, versatile, compact, powerful engine. Abundant parts and acc in the aftermarket. And it's a Chevy. Seems like a viable choice for your 37 Chevy. An early 265 or 283, or a later year 350 dressed to look like an early one...
    Of course the Nailhead would be so cool, or a Rocket, or a Caddy.
    (Maybe I am starting trouble ;>)

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Yes I do hate the sbc and will never own one again,I think GM made many other great motors that seem to get forgotten about and all the uninformed have migrated to the sbc. I like the olds,buick and caddy motors the best out of the GM line up and will never use a sbc in the 37 or any other vehicle I build and if I buy one with a sbc it will be removed as soon as it hits my driveway and thats after I blow it up.

4. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

That's some serious conviction there....:cool:

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I really dont have the time to do a swap this year so if I do anything quickly it will most likely get another stovebolt,this 235 never ran right even after being rebuilt and must have been ran hard since it needed a sleeve in one cylinder. Never had any luck with a sbc and it looks like the same with a stovebolt and if it would ever get a 350/350 it would be a Olds since they have treated me better then the Chevys. I am going to watch for a 64 to 66 big Buick and stick it behind the garage if I find one reasonable to eventually go in the 37,I want a pre 55 look for the swap since the 37 looks stock except for being lowered so that rules out the sbc.

6. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

a real nailhead will fit.

7. BillM

BillM
    Member Emeritus

I put a nailhead in a 37 Chev many years ago and it interfered with the steering box. This was a Master with the straight axle. I found a smaller box which I think may have come from a Willys but it was not the best setup.

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If I do this swap I am thinking about installing a mustang II front suspension to eliminate the steering box.

9. pre '55 look... with a mustang II?

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I guess that wont work too good with a pre 55 look,I got too many ideas running around in my head right now.

11. Lesdsledmerc has a 401 in his 37 Chevy coupe. MII front suspension also. Todd

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am not 100 percent happy with the front suspension on the truck,its a dropped axle with disc brakes but it could still use some help. For a vintage IFS suspension I could see about a 49 to 54 car front suspension,since its full fendered a IFS would not be too noticable and the truck could still look pre 55 if no one looks under it but need I to have some experts look at whats on it now for some fine tuning before going to IFS.

13. mj40's

mj40's

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If I go with a nailhead I will try to find a 64 to 66 motor so I will get a turbo 400 so i wont have to use a expoensive adapter.

15. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

Nailheads are kinda deceiving with those narrow valve covers, they have the illusion of being narrower than they actually are. And with the stock exhaust manifolds they are really quite wide, and the starter on the left and sorta weird oil filter on the right compounds the problems.

16. 50ChevyFrank

50ChevyFrank

Jeff, I agree with Nash that you seem to have your mind made up about the sbc. And of course that's OK: it's your truck and you can do it anyway you want. I was just curious about why you don't like sbc. Personally I love stovebolt 6's. Have you considered another inline? Like a 292 Chevy or 302 GMC? Etc. No problem with the steering box.
    I remember seeing somewhere on the net a chart of engine dimensions - I'll look for that again.

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

There are ways to deal with the issues of the starter and the oil filter. Tom Telesco has mini starters and you can relocate the O/F. I was making adapters for that for a while and may do another run. The old ones are still out there though...

18. Ever think of a 300 or 340 Buick? They almost have the Nailhead look but a little smaller and they make good power. Just a thought.

19. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

there is even less available performance wise for those engines.

20. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

The old school front irs front is out of a corvair. Those will work on the chevy. Still like the idea of a 57 or nail head in there.

21. What do you need? Factory four barrle and the right cam, they run good stock. 340 has a nice long stroke, good torque, should move the '37 quite nicely. ;)

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

All I would need is a 4 bbl carb and dual exhaust,thinking about sticking the 37 on the other side of the garage and covering it up untill I get some other projects done. I should tear down the 235 and see if it can be saved first but the noise has been in the motor for a couple years so if its a rod bearing the crank will need to come out and cant do a in truck repair,one cylinder was sleeved and if it went bad the motor is junk so maybe time to park it since I have plenty of old vehicles to drive.

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Hmmm....

[​IMG]

would be nice, or a tri-power or dual quads.

24. sqhd

sqhd

Just some inspiration for you, 67 Buick Skylark, 340, Isky cam (RV), 10-1 pistons, Edelbrock 4 bbl on a stock manifold. 200-4R trans. Lots of power and great runner. You can't get any aftermarket acc for it, but internals are readily available.

[​IMG]

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Inspiration? I really don't see anything inspirational about that when he asked about a Nailhead. :eek: And a Fram O/F? Really? Get a decent filter on there.

26. Crafty

Crafty
    from UK

What about a W motor (348/409)? I think that would look pretty neat.

27. I like Nailheads too but I'd take a 340 over a sbc any day! I like it!

Except for the Fram of course. :p

28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I thought about a W motor but the engine compartment is narrow and since I have fibergalss fenders I cant remove the inner fenders for a wide motor,the motor I really want is a 59 Olds 371 but its wide so if I go with a GM V8 it will have to be a nailhead. I just do not want to go with the ever so boring sbc and use some of what I think are GMs better motors,I think GM designed the sbc for those who dont not want to think and be like everyone else so I want to stick out in the crowd and be different. Since a GM motor is a bastard in my fleet with many Fords it just might get a sbf and that way I wont have to stock different motor and drivetrain parts.

29. Well if you're thinking of a Ford a Y-Block would be cool! :D;)

30. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I do have a extra 272 thats is supposed to run I could use,it was sold to me as a 292 that was going in my 55 sunliner but after I looked up the numbers found out it was a 55 to 57 272.