Register now to get rid of these ads!

NHRA Exhibit at the Petersen...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Thanks for sharing the info, I'll definitely be planning a trip to the Petersen Automotive Museum during my next visit to SoCal in January.

3. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

Thanks for posting J-B and thanks for including Dick Kraft's bug in the photos. I have really missed talking with Dick since his passing in January of 2009. Man, could he tell a story!

4. TomH

TomH

Do you know if Frank Macks roadster is still in basement stuck away so no one can see it?? :(

5. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Thanks JB. On my list of must see’s the week before GNRS. Slim

6. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Whats cool is that the BUG is still in the Kraft family-- They just loaned it to the museum for the exhibit. It would take serious huevos to pilot that little rickshaw of death down a dragstrip!

7. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Thanks for sharing this with me . I wish I could get the chance to see the museums and famous drag & raceways from the west coast and all the performance , kustoms , hotrod places that it has to offer . I guess you can say I am jealous that you are close to all that history of drag racing , the Famous tracks and so on . I live on the east coast and can only look on the internet , read about them in a book or mag. I will never be able to go that far to see where the birth of drag racing and hotrods started and came from . Maybe one day I will be able somehow to get the chance to see all that the west coast has to offer . But until then , thanks for all the story's and pictures that you are so lucky to see and enjoy . We have many great car events and race tracks on the east coast but I know it's just not the same !

Retro Jim

8. Steve Hedke

Steve Hedke

Retro Jim made me think a bit. I grew up here and got to experience it first hand. Been to the Petersen since it's VIP pre-opening where I got to see dan Gurney, Phil Hill, Parnelli Jones, Carroll Shelby, and many more in person. 'The Pete' has always had a strong emphasis on hot rodding and the dry lakes. The Piersen Brothers coupe was a fixture, along with Bruce Meyer's collection. Been there for the Ed Roth exhibit, which was very cool. And how I see the cars from the Pasadena Reliability Run (I'm now a 2 time veteran) in magazines and websites all over.

I sometimes lose perspective on how this is all accessible to me, while other folks can only dream of seeing these artifacts in person. Despite all of California's problems, it is still a pretty cool place for the traditional hot rodder.

Thanks for reminding me of that.

9. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

Yup, it's still in the vault. Once a year they open the vault to the members. I need to remember to bring a camera next year.

My dad is a docent there and I got to tag along on the docent tour where they showed how much play was in the steering column because it was crudely attached . . . . . I think it would take way more than serious huevos . . . . . If you look at the picture of Kraft where he's in the driver's seat and smiling I think that is what made him pilot that thing; he's so happy and almost looks as if he's reached nirvana.

10. Travthis

Travthis

I have to agree with the OP its a fantastic exhibit. Working across the street from The Peterson definitely has its perks.

11. 1320/150

1320/150

I'll be there on saturday!!! It will be my first time....

12. catdad49

catdad49

Thinkin' like Retro Jim,but I also keep in mind that 'never' is a long time! Keep posting, I'll just have to deal with my envy of not being there, Cat

13. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I was there in march and ran into Bruce Meyer hisself. He made me feel like an old friend. One of the nicest guys in the hobby. He was even interested in what I'm building

14. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Yes you are lucky to have that in your back yard . We do have many great things on the east coast as well but not like how the hot rodding grew in Southern California back in the 50's through the 70's where it was so strong .
    We have the dirt tracks , NASCAR and stock car racing over here allot more than you do . The drag racing has grown all over the country . We also have the shorter colder seasons of weather but not as hot as you have PLUS we don't have earth quakes like you do either ! So I guess depending on where you live you have something that the other don't have as much of . But in the end it's all about how much power we can get from an engine ! That's the bottom line . Hot rods are everywhere !

Retro Jim

15. We arrive Thursday, leave Sun AM.

16. sololobo

sololobo

What a super cool display, they always show exhibits so well. The picture of Dick setting in the bug is a real iconic treasure. Enjoyed seeing this stuff. Thanx! ~Sololobo~

17. t-rod

t-rod

The wife and I will be in L.A. in March and were planning on hitting the Pertersen then anyway, all the more reason to go!

18. Frank Macks T deserves better than that. It was the top hotrod at the Detroit Autorama year after year in the beginning. It was there at the very first Autorama, and it was driven and raced in the true tradition of hotrodding.

19. autobilly

autobilly

Try living in Oz.:D
    I'll get over there one day, don't think it'll be in time to see this display though.:(