Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vargo Dragway Reunion 2010 ??? .. ;-(

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NITROFC, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blown69rat

blown69rat

40Luv-you are correct!!! That is one of the things that does need to be addressed, I saw a lot of cars overheating last year!!!

This is the latest email that I was asked to post to clarify the "issue" about Post 1320(I'm just the messenger)

You have the email from the council executive here is one from Sam. What he is saying is he feels it is ok to respond to the list that McNally sent to and say that Post 1320 does not exist at this time. They have no desire to renew the Charter or have any affiliation with Mr. Mcnally.
    Sam Griga
    [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]
    [/FONT]Lenape District Director
    [/FONT]Bucks County Council, Boy Scouts of America
    [/FONT]215-348-7205 ext. 103 (office)
    [email protected]

2. What a fine kettle of fish we have here!

3. Piewagn

Piewagn

That's Ok! I'll have my coffee and bacon, egg and cheese sandwich! Nothing like a brisk fall morning!!

4. the shadow

the shadow

Guys , there is another side to this story;)... i have been going to the Vargo reunion since the 1st one in 1991 (invite only) , the original intent was to gather the old cars,drivers and fans to celebrate the old times then it turned into a circus! it's nothing but $$$$$$ and has little or nothing to do with what went on there other then the location.
    with or with out Joe and his boys there will be a show and it will be packed...you can't have a vargo reunion at the holiday inn...they're gonna come no matter what.
    all I can say is stop you bitch'n and be glad Dan doesn't shut the whole thing down. Better to have something on the old hallowed grounds then nothing!
    don't pass judgement when all the facts are not out yet.

Paul

5. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

I called Sam Griga today and he told me the same thing, he said there will be a show but doesn't know who will benafit from it.

6. as long as there is still a vrgo car show AT vargo,and i dont have to park next to a new god damn corvette i will be happy!

7. Come join us at Pocono Drag Lodge Sat 08/14/2010.

8. not applicable

not applicable
    from Sacramento

Ok, time for me to weigh in on this one: Not that I put Mr. McNally on the spot but in the past (where I was a part of this post) there seemed to be questions on how the operations of the post was handled. There had been several different fund raisers from sales of programs at a national event as well as proceeds from Vargo which were handled by Mr. McNally that I feel were never appropriated properly; the budget was prepared by McNally and shown to the leaders but should have been handled by resources outside of the organization. Many past personnel or leaders involved with the post shared this feeling.

There had been a sale of a family vehicle to the post after a fundraiser. Apparently it had been voted on by post leadership, which I was a part of. When I asked about it with other leaders they had about as much of a clue as me: none. The cost to the post was in the 4 - 5k range. The car was supposed to be a working model for the kids to have, experiment with, and potentially use for demonstration and racing purposes. My question: what happened to the Nova and why was it not re- titled back to the post?

If not being used currently (keep in mind they have a dragster already donated from another driver) then why not sell it and put the proceeds back to the group? Unless it has been privately sold already again.

I do not wish the boys and girls involved with the organization known as post 1320 suffer since I do think the group has good intentions but I do believe that the leader should have accountability of its' integrity.

I do wish to remain completely anonymous and hope that the boy scouting organization take some action into looking into the organization. According to the thread the post isn't chartered with B.S.A. although McNally is claiming they are?

The original intent of the Vargo show was to get the guys together and to share past experiences with the youth in the post; something I have an appreciation of to this day.

I really do not believe that the land owners full intent is to horde profits from an already established event but donate to a different charity or have it benefit an actual B.S.A. post; not one deemed potentially counterfeit. With that said I do side with the owner in this case; the facts are the facts.

There was a flier passed around at a few local car shows this past weekend that made me a bit unsettled and read back to me pretty manipulated. I am not so sure about you?

FYI - I am not affiliated with the landowner of what was known as Vargo but a former 'leader' of this post.
    <!--EndFragment-->

9. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

10. George T G

George T G

OK so as time is getting closer will there be a Vargo show and when and is Joe going to have a show and when and were? I heard a story of Macungie. I think one of the good things with the Vargo date in the begining of Nov it no competation. I also did notice Maple Grove moved there fall flea market to Nov 6.
    I agree lots of faults, come early sit in traffic com mid morning and maybe be told "sorry full" and actually there is space if there was spotters/workers inside keeping track.
    GEORGE!!

11. blown69rat

blown69rat

12. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

putting on a show takes time and money, so someone needs to get paid in the end.
    good luck with the show

13. sawzall

sawzall

So lets see if I have this right?
    This is A show at an old drag strip with no drag racing???
    People wait hours to get in and out? But there's no drag racing?
    There will likely be a brand new vette parked next to hotrodsurfers truck that will not be drag racing?

And if I attend I'll not even be able to say that I saw some good drag racing?

I think I'll just stay home and work on my car.
    Or drive somewhere else

14. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

it's an old landing strip in a farmers field, plane behind the barn, twin engine where drag racing once took place. the only racing going on is inching your way to get in, you drive down the track out dodging people/kids to park then you race again to get the hell out of there or get there at 5am to be the first one in the gate. but i will say there's a nice mix of cars and the hamber's have there own little plot of land on the track.

sawzall didn't see ya at leesport - were you there on saturday?

15. sawzall

sawzall

I was at leesport but made a good decision to not sell there

16. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

17. ONEBADMK8

ONEBADMK8
    from NJ

Heres an interesting Email by Buddy Mike Andrews got back after ripping this Guy a new one, he said I can post it so here it is:

18. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

Last year was such a circus, something had to be changed. Used to be it was a cool little event in November when nothing else was happening. The history of the place was unique to this area, and worht the trip. But over the last two years it exploded past its grass roots and became a "car show." Last year I saw new vettes and an especially lovely 84 ford fairmont. I ignored that and checked out the usual great rods out on one last fall run, the HAMB crew, the Road Angels, George T's rod and all the cool vintage drag stuff.

Unfortunately, I think it got too big for its own good. Money changes everything.
    It might be a better run cool car show this year, and I might even go. But I don't think it will ever be the same Vargo reunion it started as.

19. crazzy_mc

crazzy_mc
    from Lansdale

Wow! There is a lot of BS in this thread.
    I have been involved with the Vargo reunion since year 1 and I personally know both Dan and Joe. To start; Explorers of Motorsports is registered - in Montgomery County, not Bucks. They have a charter with members (since 1995!) they have a bank account with all records, they have insurance, etc. Their insurance is what covers the show!

The Nova in question was bought by the post and resold to a private third party, all the money spent on the car was recovered at the sale. The car was only sold because there was no where to put it and it sat outside rusting away.

As far as the show goes, Joe and the post have built this event from the ground up for 10 years, there would be no show with out them. Dan has only sat and collected his HALF of all proceeds, which is OK since that was the original deal. This year Dan wants more $ and cut out the group that started it all! Dan knows nothing about cars, Vargo history, or putting on a show. Yes, there is a new scout group involved, now that Dan has been called out on his tactics, they will be receiving a small tax deductable donation from Dan, not half of the profit! Freind or not, Dan is being greedy and unfair - he let someone else build a great event and stole it. Even the Vargo family does not like Dan. I am extremely dissapointed in him and hope that everyone sees what is happening and boycotts his event. Car enthusiasts need to stick together and watch out for each other. I appreciate everyone that is supporting Joe and the post and there will be a 2011 show, just unsure of where at this point.
    I did just join this group today and this is my first post, here is the reason - a person from 'Dan's side' of this has hacked into Joe's email and sent an email of lies to everyone on his contact list, that includes his companies clients. The email came from [email protected] and I hope that someone will step up and expose this person, there is a legal issue here and he will be prosecuted.
    The money; yes there is a huge cost in putting on the show and there is also a nice return. The post has records of all money in and out (except for the CASH that Dan was handed every year, close to $4,000!!) The money the post receives is used to maintain the funny car, the dragster and all the equipment and tools they own, they also recently purchased a trailer to use for shows. All records are provable!
    This show was about the 'reunion' not the money, at least not until now.

I challenge anyone one to respond to this and prove me wrong. Even better, come meet in person and we can discuss this like men, how about we all meet November 6th for breakfast, say 8ish...

20. there will be no hamb tent this year! think i will hit the pumpking run ;)

21. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Do you have a phone. no or address for theMoutgomery County Boy Scouts Council, I am an Explorer leader since 76 an hate to see them given a bad name from either side. I would like to get all the facts from that council.

22. 1cmsp67

1cmsp67
    from Horsham PA

From Joe McNally, I don’t hide behind fictitious user names.

I am fed up with conjecture from the uninformed or misinformed or people who think they can take potshots at someone from a distance.

I’ll start with blown69rat…good name. You sir, are either a liar or were greatly misinformed by someone. Dan Devery has received fully half of the profits from every show. That’s 50%, not a flat cost as you wrote. We have the records.
    Who the blazes are you to ask for proof of where the money goes. Are you a Post member? Volunteer? Or just someone who doesn’t understand what a slander suit entails? What do you think purchased the new 28’ trailer, the dragster, the tools, the canopies, etc. Did you think the sound system, the band, the trophies, the dash plaques, etc. were free? Look up net profits.

Let me educate you…POST 1320 was never a Boy Scout Troop. It is an Explorer Post. A branch of Scouting for older boys and girls interested in career specialization. We don’t wear the $130.00 Scout uniform to work on cars, clean up a track, or run a show. Teenagers prefer a “racing T” and jeans.
    Did you notice all of the brightly colored Event Staff shirts at the show? I suppose you wouldn’t mention them – too positive for your postings. FACT: The event was created, built up and run by Post 1320!!!!! Post 1320 was originally chartered in 1995 and had to be chartered during last years show or Dan Devery wouldn’t have let us use the property. WE PROVIDED THE INSURANCE THROUGH NATIONAL COUNCIL FROM BUCKS COUNTY.

You say that you know who is going to run the show this year but you can’t say who they are. WHAT !! Post 1320 never hid, I never hid, Bob never hid, Zak, Corey, Ed, Ginny, Tony, Wayne, etc. never hid. So how much of the show are you involved in now?

The Vargo show was never about money to those who created it. It was about friendships, reunions, reminiscing. To be able to make something for young people to use and hopefully continue the hobby was a bonus. As to the little stuff, the road in is narrow we can’t widen it! We had 16 people on staff plus some volunteers from other groups. We faced a wet ground problem…any POSITIVE suggestions?

Next: Mr. Not Applicable. Methinks ye protests too much. It is a long ride from Sacramento to Neshaminy Church for meetings! During all those meetings a financial report was given to every member in attendance. No wonder you want to remain anonymous your posting is so radically off base you don’t deserve an answer.

HOW DARE YOU TRY TO TARNISH THE GOOD NAME MY FATHER GAVE ME.
    HOW DARE YOU TRY TO DEFAME THE NAME I’VE BUILT ON FOR 60 YEARS.

To you and anyone else who thinks they can sit by their computer and try to point fingers by assumption – Be a man, call me. Better yet face me..
    Joe McNally…215-674-3067

23. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

OK, file me under the uninformed one here. So please take the time to explain something to me here.

Who are the Explorers Motorsports Post 1320?
    What part is Joe McNally part in the Explorers Motorsport Post 1320?
    What part is Dan Dervery part in the Exployers Motorsport Post 1320?
    Who's the Land owner here?
    The Vargo family and is Joe McNally / Dan Dervery part of the family in anyway?
    Now someone posted " Explorers of Motorsports Post 1320 is registered in Montgomery County not Bucks. They have a charter with members ( since 1995!) they have a bank account with all records, they have insurance,etc. Their insurance is what covers the show.
    Now I ask,
    registered in Montgomery County as what?
    a non for profit organization?
    a off shoot of the BSA?
    as a business?
    what?

because in one post it's written
    "Dan Devery has received fully half of the profits from every show"
    How can that be? if it's non profit? business?
    Now where's the other half may I ask?

I know read more of the post
    "What do you think purchased the new 28' trailer, the dragster, the tools, the canopies, etc"

Now I ask
    Who owns all of the above?
    Motorsports Explorer Post 1320?
    Who's names are on the Bills of Sales?
    Trailers do come with a title, yes or no?
    Joe McNally or Dan Dervery?

If it's not a business or non for profit what happens to all of the above goodies when there's no longer a Explorers Motorsport Post 1320?

Let's talk bank accounts, it's written in a post that
    "The post has records of all the money in and out (except for the CASH that Dan was handed every year, close to $4,000.00)
    or
    "Dan Devery has recceived fully half of the profits from every show"
    Was that in CASH?
    because I also see what was wrote
    "During all those meeting a financial report was given to every member in attendance"
    Was the Cash payment was reported on that financial report?

So back to the top, is this a business or a non for profit organization?

For now I'll stop right here but it's my OPINION here that something is not on the up and up here, Let's just say a partnership of 2 that's now in it's break up stage and a lot of he said she said bull shit. Using the teenagers of today as free labor and donating a few bucks to the BSA just so they can use their name (BSA) on their flyer, draw more people in " Oh, Honey it's for a good cause, see the money goes to the BSA, let's go"
    But the dead give away for me is
    "The Vargo show was never about money to those who created it"
    then reread the start of the same post
    "Dan Devery has received fully half of the profits from every show"

Created Financing at it's best?
    Like they say, you want the truth, just follow the money trail !!!
    gee I wonder what the IRS would have about this one?

Like I said, it's just my OPINION.

24. Time to close this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.