Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vargo Dragway Reunion 2010 ??? .. ;-(

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NITROFC, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Here is a email from my friend Joe Mc Nalley who has run the past shows with the Post 1320 BSA. Looks like Big Brother ( land owner ) want to run this show himself !!! ...:mad::mad::mad:

Well it happened. At last years Vargo Dragway Reunion/Expo many people told me that the farmer who owns the land that Vargo Dragway sits on intended to take the event away from POST 1320 BSA and run it himself. I didn't believe anyone would take a fund raiser away from the kids who worked for and helped to originate it. So I backed Dan (the owner). My mistake.

After the show he told us that he was pleased with the way the show went and the immense crowd that we drew. We asked him to contact us after February when he wasn't busy and set up a meeting with all of our Explorer Post to discuss overflow parking etc. He readily agreed. Ginny sent him a reminder in April. He never did call.

Recently he sent an E-mail to MY WIFE informing her that he was taking the show away from the boys and girls of POST 1320. He did not have the courage to call me. True he owns the land (and was paid very well for the use of it), as well as getting the track weeded, and cleaned up with our labor. It's his land but it is OUR show. It was all started by a few of the original Vargo Dragway personnel and it was Dick Long's idea to give all of the proceeds to The Motorsports Explorers, POST 1320. We put it together and built it to a success. Gee - it's easy to let someone else build something and then take it as it peaks......But to take it from kids!!!!!

So now all of the boys and girls lose their fund raiser!!!! I haven't looked into our legal rights yet . I'm still simmering!

I thank everyone who helped with or attended the past events. I seriously doubt that any of the race car drivers, track officials, or personnel will attend any function held there now. We are a fraternity. We did it for love, not money. As to what we are going to do? We are asking you, our friends and fans for your input and your ideas.

This would have been our 11th year of comradely, renewing friendships, memories, and helping young people with an interest in drag racing to better themselves and learn from - "the old guys".

If you feel the same way I do ..let Joe know @ [email protected]

2. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

I sent him one, even though I've never been there.....................That's just wrong, to hang the kids out like that............

3. Find a new location for the Vargo show, like maybe an olds airstrip in the area . Pass the word not to attend this guys show.

4. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

We've supported this event from the beginning. If this is how its going to be, NONE of my cars will be there ever again. I'd like to thank Joe for putting on such a great event......

5. paintcan54

paintcan54

I thik I would look for a new place, and not go to his.

6. raynermcvicker

raynermcvicker

that sucks
    can i go do donuts in his front yard

7. this f-in sucks!!! was one of my favorite shows

8. Al i just copied your email and sent it to all my freinds and asked them to forward it as well ,a lot of us local guys and car clubs supported this show
    i will give joe a call i have some ideas on a new locations,thanks so much for posting this

9. blown69rat

blown69rat

Just to clarify...the show is NOT being run by the land owner!!! The show will take place this year!! I know for a FACT that the new people do quite a few shows that ALL proceeds are kept within the area for those in need!!! Before making a judgement about the show, the new people running it, where the proceeds go, and other things...maybe everyone should wait and see!! Just my opinion.

10. how the f@ck are you gonna have a show with no cars??? you wait and see -

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  11. Toner283

Toner283

Joined today, only one post. Hmmmmmm.....

Read this: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44274

Then do an intro & fill out your profile so we don't think you are the dick who owns the track & are talking out of your ass. unless you are.....

any dirtbag who will take charity $$$ away from kids deserves to be standing out in his field alone on the day of his show.

Got any proof to back up your story???

12. EXACTLY!! & when word gets around about this i am pretty sure the will be little or NO support for the "new people"

13. 454navyss

454navyss

what a dirtbag, this was my dad's favorite show to go to every year. Mr. Asshat Farmer will be getting a peice of my mind

14. Well I can sympathize with all involved, sounds just like my story. I built something cool, was promised the world, and then stolen back. Even use my pics, and car club banner in thier advertisements now. Sounds like both owners are scumbags... guess we shouldn't be surprised. Like to see everyone stick together and ban all these cheating A holes too.

15. 454navyss

454navyss

i sent him an email containing a piece of my mind (trying not to be too harsh)

16. That Guy wont have a show with out any creeling cars! I'll speed the word in this neck of the woods too. Plus an email will be sent.

17. I sent a copy of the email that big al got to ALL of my car freinds and to the presidents of 2 of the local car clubs both of wich attend this show, asking them to forward it as well i also forwarded the email to a freind of mine who works for the local news paper asking him to contact jo mcnally-about this

18. I have no dog in this fight, but Brian, if you have facts to justify what is happening or info to dispute what has been stated then you probably should post it up. I don't see anyone just sitting back and taking the word of someone that just joined the site and has 2 posts over someone that's been here for 9 years with over 5000 posts.

I'm just sayin' :D

19. blown69rat

blown69rat

Hey Paulie!!! LOL You're everywhere!!! LMAO!!!!

I WON'T get in the middle of what is going on between Joe and Dan. I do know, there are a lot of other things going on that people have NO IDEA about. It's not my place to say the things that I know of. All I am saying is that I do know that the show will have a LARGE presence of boy and girl scouts at it, the show's proceeds WILL go to the local community. So, it's not like things are being taken away from kids, everything is still going to those in need. There are many shows like this in the area, where there is a dispute between an organization and the property owner, then someone else is asked to come in and revamp a show. It's just the people that were asked to revamp the show, they are not the "bad guy's" in this, they were asked to take over a successful show with the knowledge that all proceeds stay within the community to help families that need the help, but running the show in a better fashion.

PS-how you been Paulie?? Things going good?

20. asked to take over a succesful show started by some else??? please...smells of greed to me

21. 68Caddy

68Caddy

Just a question, is there a lot of money to be made putting on a car show? Looks like a break even operation at best.

22. blown69rat

blown69rat

How could it be greed if all proceeds still go to charity??
    We've both said "successful"...how about all the complaints from car owners over the years?? isn't "success" measured by the good things said about a show? isn't it measured but the money raised for charity? where is the PROOF that the money went to this Post 1320? the last 2 years, I didn't see any boy scouts there doing anything!!
    All I am saying is that people are immediately blasting the people coming in to run this show without knowing anything other than what was sent in an email. Like I said, I know who's running it, but it hasn't been announced yet, so I can't say who they are yet. I also know that there is more to the WHOLE story than what Joe has sent in an email, so don't jump to conclusions.

23. wow! that is a serious accusation!!!! i know for a fact the land owner gets a % of the proceedes based on the car count!! how many cars were in attendece last year?? see where i am going with this?? (greed) and every one who helps prepare the track and grounds for the show is assicoated with post 1320, and/or volenteers in some way shape or form..

24. blown69rat

blown69rat

you are correct, I do know that he gets some of the proceeds as well. I can also tell you that the portion he receives is small compared to the overall amount raised. It's also a flat cost, not a percentage.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying who is right or who is wrong. I was at the first one in 1998 and have been going to every show when I can. I went this past year for the first time in about 3 years. What I saw was cars overheating, disorganization, etc. How can a show that has been going on for 11 years be so good when people complain about it year after year???? I had a very interesting, 10 minute conversation with Joe at the show last year and it's future.

All I am saying is why not wait to hear what's in store for the show, hear both sides of the story, etc?? I'm sure things will get announced in the near future.

25. blown69rat

blown69rat

ok, I've been asked to pass along some info...

I am playing nuetral ground here, so, to clarify, I've been asked to post the following...

Would you make a post stating not to believe Joe or the land owner and just contact Sam Griga at the boy scouts and ask Sam if Post 1320 is current and what happened to all the money? Please post Sam's contact information. If you could, also let everyone know that we have talked with 2 different BSA troops to be in attandance this year.

Sam Griga
    Lenape District Director
    Bucks County Council, Boy Scouts of America
    215-348-7205 ext. 103 (office)

26. blown69rat

blown69rat

Ain't that the truth!!! As I am asked, I will post more info.

Personally, I want to see this show go on one way or another and everyone go, it's always been great to see the cars and participate!! We've lost so many great tracks over the years, the history imbedded in Vargo is something that shouldn't be lost in all of this!!! I say good luck to all parties involved, it's about the cars!!!

27. I know Brian and he's an upstanding guy that wouldn't post stuff up just to argue, but thanks for the info.

28. Piewagn

Piewagn

I'm still gettin' there at 6am!!! :D:D

29. blown69rat

blown69rat

Thanks Paulie!!

Chuck, Like I said, I live by the creed of letting people find things out for themselves and don't believe in posting things in a public forum that talk bad about one person or another.

Piewagn-LOL!!!!!

30. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

If you get there at 6 am, you'll be waiting 2 hours for the crew to set up. Some of my friends got there too early in 2008 and had to wait in the road.

Regardless of who runs the show, I hope someone can figure out better traffic control for this year. We waited about an hour to get parked last year. First, traffic backs up on the small country road leading to the track/farm. After that there is only one driveway in for show vehicles and spectator cars. Once getting through that bottle neck, show vehicles have to make a dog leg to get their picture taken. After that, it was a 1 MPH crawl up the track to get parked. It's a good show, so I put up with the parking headache, but somebody should come up with a better plan. The organizers should talk to someone from the Doylestown Road Angels. They to a fantastic job of getting cars parked at the Tile Works show.

I hate to be whining about this, since Vargo is a great place for a show, but taking an hour to park is a bit excessive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.