Register now to get rid of these ads!

302 in a 37 Ford question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loblazer, Jul 7, 2010.

1. I have a stock bodied 37 Ford Tudor humpie I am building. Has stock rebuilt flattie I will run with this summer. Over the winter I will be adding IFS and 8". I was thinking of putting in a 302 and AOD a buddy has.
    Question...can it go in without firewall mods? Don't want to chop this car up, too nice.
    Oh ya, anybody got tips on how to make my wide fives about 6" wide for bigger tires? Love the look of these.
    Thanks Doug

2. metal man

metal man

Man,I don't know,it's going to be tight.I'm pretty sure you'll have to modify the x-member to get the AOD in there.Here's what I know..I have a '40 with a 302 and c4.It fits without cutting the firewall,even with the long water pump.All I did was move the radiator forward about 3/4". Keep in mind the radiator is completely different in your'37 and leaned back,so it's a little tighter. I had an AOD I considered installing but I would have had to cut the x-member up,so I'm keeping the c4.

3. metal man

metal man

Oh yeah,PM wheelkid on here,he can most likely re-rim yer wide 5's.

4. Thanks MM. I have access to a C4 also so should grab it too and measure everything up before I move forward. I can get all for free so thought it was a good way to go.
    Maybe if I remove the fan blades and do a pusher fan in front of the rad?
    Not sure I want to cut the member either.
    Thanks for the wheel tip too.
    Thanks Doug

5. My 302 is EFI also but think I may go back to a carb.

6. 58ducknut

58ducknut
    from ohio

Do a search on here for a snowwhite short water pump kit for sbf. Might get the motor up a little closer to the radiator. I just got one for my 33 and it's a real nice kit.Good luck

7. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Ford Racing sells two different "shorty" water pump setups. The V belt setup reduces engine length by 1 1/2". The serpantine drive system takes 1 3/4" of length off. In addition to solving swap problems these shorter water pumps make the total engine look better IMO. The engine becomes more proportionate in terms of length to width.

8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

9. willymakeit

willymakeit

Wasnt Frank Oddo into the 302 swaps ? He did several books on these I thought.

10. great tips guys, thanks a lot. If the 302 doesn't work I will find a 53 Merc truck flattie. I ain't puttin no Chevy in my FORD!

11. I should have mentioned, this is from an F150, I have to ask my buddy, can't remember if he said 74 or 84 but it was rebuilt and only had 27,000 miles (43 km) on it before wrecked. Not sure if trucks had different pumps, I think I read somewhere they were? Thanks again

12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I had a 40 Ford coupe with a 302/C4 in the 80's. The firewall was notched and the X member modified. I don't see how you'd get a 302 in that frame/body without some surgery.

Brian

13. BIG JOHN 37

BIG JOHN 37
    from central NJ

my 37 coupe is a 302/C4, using a bitchin big block firewall, running a mechanical fan, had an AOD didn't use it because of the surgery required to the X member

14. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

You might have to use a rear sump type oil pan from a Bronco or a double sump (is that worded right?) from a Fox body for crossmember clearance. I have a '37 Hump and I don't see how you could get a SBF in without doing some firewall work. A SBC with a short pump and a small distributor just fits. I like the SBF idea even if it requires some extra work.

15. bluestang67

bluestang67

94 and 95 mustang had a short water pump , only draw back it is a serpentine system . Now when I was researching I did find a a water pump with a different rotation for V belts for this same app just don't remember where :eek:.

I have a 37 Coupe that will be a 351 W and a T-5 set up .

16. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

neither do i. i went to a bitchin' firewall---marty

17. Fullfendered

Fullfendered
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put a '71 302 and a 4 speed toploader in my slant back. I cut the fire wall, used Chassis Enginering X member kit and engine mounts for C4, Bronco oil pan, 6 cycliner Ford fan blade. If you got to have a Ford in it, you're going to have to do some surgery. Good luck, keep us posted.

Attached Files:

18. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

If you do the Mustang IFS you will have to use a motorsport pan kit with 2 drain plugs and an oil feed tube, I used a front pusher on my 38 with a c6 on a 351 w tight, had to put in a new wall anyways.

19. metal man

metal man

Well, like I said,I moved the radiator forward.Also have an electric fan in front of the radiator.The pulley is only about an inch from the radiator and the valve cover is within 1/4 inch of the firewall,but it fits and I didn't touch the firewall. The only X-member mod was taking out the rivetted in center piece and making one to clear the C-4.

20. F&J

F&J

This sounds like the better way.

I've never done one myself but did see a clubmember do it on a 37. The car was a one year old mint build that he got tired of the flathead. His firewall was painted as nice as the car in the same color, but he had to cut the heck out of it. I am sure it ran the stock late Ford fan...that must be the key...but is there any way to move a 37 radiator? The 40 must have more room I would think.