Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hotrob's fiasco of a "Model A Coupe" build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotrob, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

Thanks Mark:
    Nifty's thread was especially helpfull. Now if I had 1/10th of that talent I would just knock it out.
    Seriously though I really liked the way the area arount the trans went together.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  2. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

3. Hey Rob, long time no see. I see you're getting back to the build. Looks really nice, got a lot on the ol plate right now but when I get freed up, I'd like to come out and give you a hand if you'd like. The coupe is really looking good bro, hang in there.

4. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

God knows I could use it.

5. I'll give you a call in the next day or two and try to plan something.

6. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

Rob,watch for clearance at the bottom of the rear Z area floor/ladder bar.
    I little pocket (notch)for clearance will be needed.
    Looking good.
    (I bet you could lower the whole tunnel a couple inches..)

Ring me anytime.eriC

7. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

I saw where the ladderbars are going to need a little room, and I agree with you on the tunnel being a little high.
    I am working on both issues.

8. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

Have you picked out a seat(s) ?
    Makes a difference on the size/shape of the tunnel.
    Once all the parts and pieces get in there,you start running out of room.

I'll post up some pic's of pedals..
    eriC

Attached Files:

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rob! Lookin' good man!

You mentioned that the U-bends would double as drive shaft protection. If that's your intentions I would beef them up quite a bit. Those will get driven right up through your floor before that will happen unless you're going to make the floor out of 10-gage steel. You could also start them smaller towards the front as well. The rear of the drive shaft is where the most movement will be seen when the suspension articulates/travels.

Seriously though! Looks GREAT!

10. irace2win41

irace2win41

Nice build. Now you see why the rest of us started doing it all ourselves. Now you'll be the go to guy in town....

11. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

You guys make some salient points regarding the construction of the tunnel.
    While I allowed for enough room for some narrow seats, I now realize that a little redo now will allow me more seat and interior choices down the road. The width of the loops is out of my control as that is as narrow as I can get with my bender. But I can lower them. I originally decided to use the same height tunnel all the way back to make it easier to form the floor. I have decided to step it down though. I can bring the front down some as well. THe front came down 2" and the middle and rear came down 3".
    While this will not give me any more width, it will lower it such that the seat riser will bring the botom of the seat to a level above the tunnel allowing an overlap and thus a wider seat.

I have cut it very close at the front, but there should be no movement at the trans yoke so as long as it clears with a 1/2 inch or so I guess I will be ok.

Check out the improved tunnel.
    The first pic is what I cut off the loops, followed by shots of the new tunnel installed, and finally what the seat height looks like with the bottom of the seat being just above the top of the tunnel. (I am 6' for reference)
    This also does not account for any lean back that I may put into the seats. I should have 6-8" of headroom.

Attached Files:

12. Nice driving gloves

13. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

Things are moving along today. I also moved to the inner rear corners and cut out the rusty corner supports in favor of these pieces from Brookville.

I am sure I will discover some reason to redo them as I have the rest of the car.

I guess I will be able to say I have build a couple of cars when its all done.

Attached Files:

14. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

I added two more loops in the tunnel. The second from the rear is the same height as the the one on either side of it, and the second from the front is stepped down from the front making an even slope down to the three in the rear.

Then I tied the tunnel and mid floor into the firewall/cowl. It should clear everything, but its just tacked in case it needs to be modified to clear some component not yet present.

Attached Files:

15. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

Looks good..I think youll appreciate the extra interior room!!!

16. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

17. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Rob, Looking good! I guess you are liking the new bender. I like the floor!
    Jay

18. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I've been checking in and out on this thread, finally took the time to read the whole thing, and I gotta say this is an impressive build.

I'm a young gun, and reading through all your explanations has been priceless.

So thanks Rob, keep up the good work!

19. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

Thanks, I always thought it more valuable to learn from experience than from mistakes. I now realize that they are the same thing.

Rob

P.S. Got a question for you guys. I was told the car was an old race car. I really did not give that much concideration until I began taking off the paint and some symbols on the door caught my interest (see post #161). Anyone know what the significance is? THe seller thought it was a stock car.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  20. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

Here is your update.
    I called Eric and ordered a mess-o-parts. I got the pete & Jakes brake pedal set up, the vega steering box, and mount and some nifty headlight perches with shock mounts built in.

But.......
    before I could settle in and install them, I got a PM from Tim Young. He has been following the build and offered his metal working services. By offer I mean for a fee naturally.
    So I lamented for a bit over whether I really wanted to put down the cash to have an expert metal man do some work on the coupe. The body is rough and Tim and I agree that it would be extremely expensive to make this body perfect. However i need to have some rehab to get it useable, and I wanted to give tim a shot so for the first time since I bought the body it was rolled out into the light of day.

Check out the pics of the roll out, then the arrival at www.irrationalmetalworks.com , and finally the empty hole in the garage.

The coupe's absence will give me an opportunity to get some real work done on the racecar.
    I will post a few of the Falcon build pics for those who have been following and asking about that progress.

Attached Files:

21. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

It is really strange going into the garage and not seeing the coupe in there.

22. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Good for you Rob!!! Tim does awesome work! I'm sure you will be very happy with the results. keep us posted... Lemme know when you need help put'n that motor in your other project.

23. WOW, you're doing an awesome job, man!
    Can't believe that I haven't seen this thread earlier...
    Please keep is posted.

24. Tim is the man. You will be pleased. Did you see my coupe body in bare metal at P&P 09?

25. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

I have seen pictures.
    My car is alot rougher than yours was when you started, and Tim and I both agree that it may be unrealistic to expect those kind of results, however I am sure it will be a most bitchen cool ride. Thats really all I care about. Its about having fun for me.

I would love to see the car in person. Maybe the Drags this year?

Jay,
    I will PM you on the other project. You home this weekend?

26. HotRod33

HotRod33

Rob... checked back in on your build and I think it is looking great... when do you think you will have the car back and get to continue your thrash on it...........?

27. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

Hope to get it back in a couple weeks. Tim only has my car in his shop right now so I should be priority.

28. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Tim, I hope you put up some progress pictures for us newby metal shapers... ;-)

29. freebird101

freebird101

30. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

Starting on it today! I think I have the pic deal figured out, so I will put some up soon. I will also post up the 32 5 window pics I just finished