Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help needed, 235 chevy, Dual carb intake leak

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mockie, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Mockie

Mockie

Been having a hell of a time getting my edmunds intake to keep from leaking fuel at the head. Have played with the port inserts, gaskets, even had the intake milled slightly just in case it was off at all. Leak has gotten better but any leak is unacceptable. Anyone had this problem before? About out of options, wondering if there is a sneaky trick I'm missing. Thanks, here's a pic to make up for my rambling.
    [​IMG]

2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Is your intake for a 235?? you should measure your carb stud spacing and if it's 2 and 3/4 center to center then the intake is for a 216 which also has smaller ports hence the leak.

3. Hellfish

Hellfish

If that's that case, you can buy special inserts, or have your intake ports widened in the intake

4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

are all the bolt shoulders equal height to the header?

I had to carve on my Fentons quite a bit to make them the same height as my Edmonds

5. Ball and Chain

Ball and Chain
    from Nor Cal

I had to plane one of my brand new fentons, there is a company that makes a super thick white foam looking gasket, that and i used studs and nuts rather than the original bolts, this was the only thingg that made mine stop leaking.

6. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Stovebolt Engine Company sell the inserts, as do Larrowe and Sons

both have websites

They will be listed under 216 to 235 intake adapters or something similar.

7. sixinarowjoe

sixinarowjoe
    from eastcoast

I just went and looked at both of my edmunds intakes (which looks like you are using ) and noticed that there is no step in the intake port on the manifold for alignment rings ,i also recall having a similar leak problem when i ran this intake awhile back ,turns out the intake wasnt centered over the port ,had to loosen up bolts and retry to center it ,after a couple tries it worked , -maybe that will help joe

8. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Most likely someone bored out the ports for a 235, which is why there is no step for the rings.

9. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  10. panic

panic

Leaking air: manifold seal.
    Leaking fuel has to be from the carburetor.

11. Mockie

Mockie

I hear what your saying Panic, but it ain't leaking at the carb. It's leaking at the manifold to head connection.

12. Mockie

Mockie

Is your intake for a 235?? you should measure your carb stud spacing and if it's 2 and 3/4 center to center then the intake is for a 216 which also has smaller ports hence the leak.

It's 2 11/16 on the dot. Took it to my local old chevy parts store and owner said it is a 235 intake. 235 port sleeves fit tight but do fit into intake. Measured intake ports and they are almost dead on to head ports. I know someone here said they could have been milled out, which could be possible. Will look into optional port sleeves you guys posted. thanks for the info.
    <!-- / message -->

13. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

HI,
    If the stud spacing is 2 11/16 then you have a 216 intake. A 235 intake has a carb stud spacing of about 2 15/16. Also explains why the port rings fit tight. Well, in any case hope you fix it.

14. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I have seen L6 mtors that had a obvious intake air leak that never dripped fuel. If it's leaking fuel it's leaking air. Whatever the case, raw fuel coming out at the head/intake connection indicates high float level or leaking needle/seat to me. Immediately after shutdown, look into the venturi for dripping gas.

15. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Stupid question, I know, but is the gasket new?

16. 52HardTop

52HardTop

It's curious that your leaking fuel. Maybe, just, maybe it's that you didn't heat your intake and your fuel air mixture is not mixing? The cold intake is making the gas stay raw and not mix well with the air. With no rings in between the intake and head the fuel will find a way to leak down? Also, Tom Langdon has the adapter rings your looking for. I believe they're called Buffalo rings. They will allow you to use the 216 intake on the 235 head. They work fine.
    Dom

17. Mockie

Mockie

thanks 52, will look into those, also on a small note. Haven't gotten engine to run yet for more than 20 seconds or so. As far as I can tell I'm not getting enough fuel. I could not afford both carbs as of yet and the only carb I had is a carter YF I rebuilt. Also fabbed a single carb to dual carb cheater for the time being. I did run coolant lines to intake but haven't gotten motor running enough to get them warm.